NAApollo11

Rank 0

Traveler I

TN
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B.
Hey guys, first post here. I am also interested in this tent. Michael's review on it piqued my interest. I'm new to overlanding but an avid Backpacker. I have always done my homework on gear because I believe wholeheartedly in the "Buy once Cry once" methodology. My idea for overlanding is to have something that will set up and takedown quickly and is large enough to fit a descent sized air mattress. This is a huge departure from my Backpacking way of thinking of "Light is Right". I want my wife and two dogs to be able to join me, and for her, comfort is paramount. My rig is in its infancy and is currently a stock '04 WJ, but I do not see this stopping us from getting out there. The tent will be stored on the roof rack in its bag. I was wondering if those of you owning one have driven through rain with it exposed? Does the bag hold out water or will it be a sopping mess after heavy rain on the road? Also, being new to this type of camping, is a huge ground tent and air mattress right for my plans? Thank you all for your time.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

I need to replace a basic Coleman tent, and I think for the price I may go with the T3. It’s usually just me and my son camping so the T4 would be a bit extreme. Plus I like the smaller footprint of the T3 fitting it inside my 4Runner.
I’m in a similar situation. The T4 will permit standing but need to be able to pack the tent on my TJ (swing out tire rack) or short bed Tacoma. The T3 just fits those requirements. Plus, the T3 has a lot more room than my Kamp-Rite tent cot!

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

I need to replace a basic Coleman tent, and I think for the price I may go with the T3. It’s usually just me and my son camping so the T4 would be a bit extreme. Plus I like the smaller footprint of the T3 fitting it inside my 4Runner.
Well, I bought the T4, and set it up today. For the cost difference, I couldn’t resist. It’s great, and I can’t wait to use it next weekend.

darin.explore

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
Darin
Last Name
Maxwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VAD
How is the transport of the gazelle tents, are they worth the weight and size of the storage bag when packing your truck and gear for the ease of use?

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

How is the transport of the gazelle tents, are they worth the weight and size of the storage bag when packing your truck and gear for the ease of use?
Depends on what tent you’re transitioning from, a cot tent myself. Just acquired a Gazelle T3, lighter, easier to handle and it packs across the back of my Jeep TJ. Plus, straight down a Tacoma short bed with Rotopax gas & water cans mounted to the bed’s front rail. The storage bag has a padded main handle, smaller handles at each end plus compression straps. A cheap heavy duty tarp (ground cloth) is stored with the tent in the bag. Setup and tear down is just as fast as the cot tent. A lot more room too.

Reactions: Justin Cadiz

VegasKid

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

Anyone used one of the gazelles in snow? I know they have another company for ice fishing they recommend the tents from for snow, but was wondering if anyone’s used a t3 or t4 in snowy conditions and how they hold up?

WildBill

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Kellett
Member #

F9257A88-58DA-4A38-8471-70DB1514E282.jpeg I have one and used it for a 4-nighter, I friggin love it.

The ease of setup and the room in the tent is fantastic, I have a bad back and was able to fit two cots in there with tons of room to spare, was extremely spacious and very comfortable. The many features are super handy and the windows are just fantastic. One night we were in an utter downpour with high winds, tent was bone dry all night and cozy. The removable floor made it easy to keep clean. Worth every penny.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Nothing new to add here, but another “Yes” vote. I haven’t had it in the rain or wind yet but I think it’ll be fine. 12 tie-down points ought to handle a lot of wind.

Here’s a quick video I made showing setup;

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

I used the T3 last weekend in 34 degree weather and I give it a thumbs up. I wanted to go with the T4 but with the wife and the two kids, I'm not able to fold seats down and store it inside.

I'm not sure I would run it on top of a rig without being wrapped in another tarp or in another storage bag/box or some sort. The bag seems to be of decent quality but I wouldn't trust it to the elements.

To give you an idea about the interior space, we tried to inflate a queen size air mattress in the T3 and it was a very tight fit. We had maybe 8-14 inches of clearance on either side of the air mattress so we ended up deflating it and using it as a sleeping pad so we could use the buddy heater.

I loved it and so did the kid. Lots of room (I'm 5'9 and could stand up inside it), lots of ventilation, and setup/take down are a breeze. Like what emulous74, said, the doors are small so entering and exiting can be challenging.

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
T4 owner here. We camped at Expo East 2018. Double cot with a double bag, and one of the smallest Mr. buddy heaters. It was very comfortable. The tent material was very high quality for a sub $300 tent.

When we returned I set up the tent for cleaning, I found one of the elastic loops for the rain fly to be broken. After contacting Gazelle, I had a new rain fly at my door in less than a week.

I recommend this tent.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

When reading about this tent, I looked up some reviews online and saw a few people complaining about the tent's water resistance. After reading what all of have said, it seems like a great tent. I am now confused on it.

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

When reading about this tent, I looked up some reviews online and saw a few people complaining about the tent's water resistance. After reading what all of have said, it seems like a great tent. I am now confused on it.
I’m going out next Saturday and they are forecasting rain all weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

I have used a T4 on 20 nights this summer and I can attest to it being a great value at the price. It made it through Overland Expo East rains just fine without a drop of water inside and a nice feature ..once home I just removed the floor and washed the mud out and then reattached. Sets up as advertised and packs back into its bag which is a PLUS..LOL
Takes up a lot space but that is quickly overlooked as setup and take down are a breeze. The doors are a tight squeeze but not a deal breaker by any means.
Highly recommend it.

8b9R%iqGQ+2xIneXXNHw3A.jpg

Attachments

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
Hey, was hoping to get a follow up for those that have used it. Still liking it?

Main question- How are y'all transporting them?
I dont have room in my cherokee for it, and was thinking about putting it on my Yakima cross bars some how. Anyone done that??? If so How?
I looked at roof baskets / cargo carriers to go on top, but any that are long enough to fit this tent cost an arm an a leg themselves. So I was curious if anyone strapped it directly onto the factory or Yakima style cross bars and if so how did you do it? (pictures would be appreciated as well, if you have the time)

Thanks