Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
@OTH Overland, your fowl weather comment is why we opted for the T4 Plus. We put a Liftime table along one interior wall of the Screen Room, and we plan on putting a cot or two for a sitting bench along the walls for those late night dinners, or fowl weather camp days.
We thought about the plus, but did not want the even bigger size and weight, also we have a Big Angnes 4 person dome tent that has what they call a garage as part of the rain fly, and we have had trouble finding room for the 8x16 footprint in some campgrounds. I have to admit its nice to have the extra dry space to sit under or stash gear in bad weather, I just wish they made them so you could unzip and remove the extra portion when not needed. For now we are going to install a 8x8 ARB awning on the Jeep and huddle under that for rainy dinners, may even splurge on a couple of walls for sideways rain..lol Currently trying to figure out what we would get for a different overland vehicle as the old WJ just isn't suited for long distance driving, has limited space for gear and we don't want to pinstripe the Ram or Commander. Once a different rig has been selected, we will evaluate and decide what type of sleeping accommodations will work best (inside, ground tent, roof tent or trailer) .. always compromises

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I made an error. I found my invoice for the t3 from Amazon and I paid $178 for it. I did go to the Gazelle site for prices today and I am confused. They have the T4 for $449.99 and in another place they list it as $278. The T3 is not listed at all anymore. BTW it is 68" tall at highest point. I have shrunk from 5' - 11" too 5"- 9" in the last 4 years so I guess I'll fit okay

T4 plus is $479 on Gazell's site right now. T4 is $279. Maybe you were looking at the plus.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
T4 plus is $479 on Gazell's site right now. T4 is $279. Maybe you were looking at the plus.
The t4 price jumped again overnight. Today it's $499.99. The t4 (Plus) is a better buy today at $479.99. There is still some t4's (grey color) they are listing at $279.99. That's the best buy
On the Gazelle web site IMO.

THEY PROBABLY WON'T HAVE ANY LEFT BY TOMORROW. LOL

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
One of the perks to being a paid member.

I am checking into the status of the tents on the store.
The reason I didn't buy my t3 tent from OB back in April is that when I checked the store it said they were sold out. Secondly I have never seen anything that said they would be discounted 25% for OB members or I would have checked further.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The reason I didn't buy my t3 tent from OB back in April is that when I checked the store it said they were sold out. Secondly I have never seen anything that said they would be discounted 25% for OB members or I would have checked further.
It’s info @Corrie puts out in the OB YouTube videos when she talks about the store. And yes the store is sold out of the tents right now.

daniel3507

Rank I

Contributor III

I've been looking at the T4 but my concern is the bag. Will it stand up okay to being rained on or will the interior of the bag be wet after driving in the rain? Being so long it would have to ride in the bed of the truck and seeing that the "overland edition" comes with a water resistant bag, it makes me wonder about the standard version bag.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
my standard version bag is not waterproof

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I've been looking at the T4 but my concern is the bag. Will it stand up okay to being rained on or will the interior of the bag be wet after driving in the rain? Being so long it would have to ride in the bed of the truck and seeing that the "overland edition" comes with a water resistant bag, it makes me wonder about the standard version bag.
I can fit the tent in the back of the truck so I'm not speaking for personal experience but I would say that light rain won't be an issue but for sure the bag is not waterproof.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I can fit the tent in the back of the truck so I'm not speaking for personal experience but I would say that light rain won't be an issue but for sure the bag is not waterproof.
What about going to either the sporting goods dept., or the house wares dept., of your local store, and purchasing 2x cans of spray on waterproofing or scotch guard? Would this not make the bag either water resistant or waterproof up to a point (not heavy rain). I have done this for a whole tent to make light rain less of a issue. It changed slightly the color tone of the material, but that was not a concern in the scope of things.

PS: In the value for Money, about $6.50 for 2 cans, if your looking for a cheap fix, or wait and purchase the new gazelle bag when available.

Last edited:

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

What about going to either the sporting goods dept., or the house wares dept., of your local store, and purchasing 2x cans of spray on waterproofing or scotch guard? Would this not make the bag either water resistant or waterproof up to a point (not heavy rain). I have done this for a whole tent to make light rain less of a issue. It changed slightly the color tone of the material, but that was not a concern in the scope of things.
Sure, I'm not familiar with this products but I think they will help to improve water resistance to some degree.
Another option would be to buy a 3rd party waterproof bag (few weeks ago someone posted that he bought an umbrella cover that fits the tent) or buy the gazelle waterproof bag (I believe it should be available by the end of the year).

Reactions: Desert Runner

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The new T4 Overlander does have a waterproof bag, as well as the redesigned T4-Plus/T8.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hmmm, I've read almost all of the reviews here and else where and cannot help but wonder out loud, "for less than 400 bucks, how good can it possibly be?" We've had a multitude of tents over the years and paid about that much for them and all but one, the most expensive one, has held up to our travels and camping style.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

Hmmm, I've read almost all of the reviews here and else where and cannot help but wonder out loud, "for less than 400 bucks, how good can it possibly be?" We've had a multitude of tents over the years and paid about that much for them and all but one, the most expensive one, has held up to our travels and camping style.
Which one held up? I thought about getting a Gazelle, but all the "gap in floor" comments made me concerned. I'm considering OzTent Rv4 or RX4

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Most here are fair weather campers, or don’t get out but a couple time per year. At the Expo I heard a vendor say, “ most this stuff will used a couple time per year and often at a KOA”. It was a novel statement me. There is a fashion component in overlanding.