Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Perritte
Member #

When y'all are using the tent does anyone use a trap or something on the ground and set the tent on it or will it take it with out one. trying to find a good tent and what is need for it

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
When y'all are using the tent does anyone use a trap or something on the ground and set the tent on it or will it take it with out one. trying to find a good tent and what is need for it

This is what I use, and I think it was actually recommended in this thread, or another gazelle thread.

Reactions: Slowone

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I just use a generic tarp from Walmart, it's big enough to cover all the tent area plus some extra space on the front to use to put shoes etc.

IrieVibes

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Baton Rouge, LA
First Name
Dre
Last Name
Jaxx
Member #

Due to the length of the T-4 my plan is that it will travel on my roof rack as well. I haven't considered a cable lock though. May have to look into it. I've got an FJ Cruiser so real estate inside the vehicle is at a premium and limited! Most of the gear goes on the roof!
For what it’s worth here is a picture of a T-4 on roof of FJ.
Probably going to put ours on the roof also. Have you been caught in rain with it on the roof? How’s the bag hold up, should I treat it with a repellent?

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I don't use a tarp with our Gazelle, primarily because it adds to the time it takes to setup and take down the tent. Since the tent only takes ~90s to take down the extra time to shake out and fold a tarp really adds up. :) The floor of the Gazelle is pretty strong and I have had no issues with punctures from rocks or sticks. Also, the entire floor can be removed and replaced if necessary.

James.Laidlaw

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maineville, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Laidlaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7LTK
Thank you there is so much to go thru
I have a tarp that I keep in the tent bag with the tent. I will use it "most times." Usually it's to keep from having to clean the bottom of the tent from wet dirt / mud. As you mentioned, I also have it slightly larger than the footprint of the tent so it can stick out from the main entrance a little bit for pre-entry cleaning (like taking off and leaving shoes as was mentioned). Call me a glamper but I also have two cheap dollar store doormats that also assist in keeping in-tent debris to a minimum. These are half-size doormats that allow one person at a time on them and fit inside the tent bag as well - hardly taking up any space. If It raining out, I'll just take the outer one and side it under the tent (between the tent and the tarp) until I need it in the morning or whenever.

Rod B

Rank I

Contributor III

I ordered a Gazelle T4 yesterday. Do you guys recommend treating the rainfly and/or tent body with Nikwax, Camp Dry or some other waterproofing spray? I read through the thread and didn't see this, sorry if I missed it.

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

For those of you that use a slightly larger ground cloth remember to tuck it under the tent in the rain, if you don’t water will run between the ground cloth and the bottom of your tent. PITA to put away.

Reactions: Munga Brown

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I ordered a Gazelle T4 yesterday. Do you guys recommend treating the rainfly and/or tent body with Nikwax, Camp Dry or some other waterproofing spray? I read through the thread and didn't see this, sorry if I missed it.
I only camped in mild rain so far and haven't had any waterproofing issue.

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

I had the joy of using mine at Overland Expo East mudfest.... think it rained for 2 days straight. I have found it to waterproof as is.... the only note I will add is that when opening the doors water runs straight into the tent from the fly. Not sure how to get around it but we just used a towel to mop it up as it wasn't that big of a problem. With that much rain, we were bringing in lots of wet stuff anyway....

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I have a tarp that was laying around the house with a frayed edge, pulled out grommets, and a couple tears. And it's just a bit smaller than the exterior footprint. I taped it up with some gorilla tape & I'm good to go for a cheap ground cloth. Haven't got any more than misted on so I've had no waterproof issue...

Seppy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cambon Avenue, Saint James, NY, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Cosentino
Member #

I used mine the first time this weekend, and was going to ask a waterproofing question as well because we had a little puddle inside (maybe 2 cups). I think the area of intrusion for me was the stitching by the side pocket. Has anyone used a waterproofing like asked above?

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I used mine the first time this weekend, and was going to ask a waterproofing question as well because we had a little puddle inside (maybe 2 cups). I think the area of intrusion for me was the stitching by the side pocket. Has anyone used a waterproofing like asked above?
Do you have a picture? It sounds like a production defect, that should not happen. I would contact Gazelle CS and ask for a fix/replacement.