Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
This is what I use...https://primus.us/products/easy-light-4?variant=29444431249491&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwril6ojN8AIVvP_jBx0JpweFEAAYASAAEgKBU_D_BwE

I like the ambiance and the little they put out. I have 4, very small and store them in my Decked system.

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
I prefer the battery-powered lights. One of the most remarkable inventions is the Crush Light Chroma by Goal Zero. It is powered with solar or USB. You can attach them to nearly everything and everywhere. Awesome product.

Attachments

Reactions: OTH Overland

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
We use solar Luci lights. They're small, bright, and recharge on the dashboard during the day.
They are regularly on sale (we got ours 50% off last at Christmastime).

Reactions: KAIONE

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We bought some rechargeable mini lanterns that are also bug zappers from Costco. Did not expect much out of them, but surprisingly the seem to put out a decent light pattern, last quite a while and do actually kill a few mosquitoes. We hang the three of them off the awning. We have also been using the Goal Zero Crush Light Chroma, its a great tent light, and love that dims.

oshndoc

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Oxford, MS
First Name
Arne
Last Name
Diercks
Member #

I use both. I have LED lights hooked to my trailer for camp site lighting, but I have a couple of different white gas lanterns, as I still use my 3 burner Coleman white gas stove. I do have the option to switch to propane if needed.
My biggest gas lantern is a Petromax 500 and my smallest one is a Coleman Peak One. The Petromax runs easily for 8 hours on a tank and puts out a tremendous amount of light (equivalent to a 500W Halogen) and easily illuminates the entire campsite. I have rechargeable LED lights that hook into my solar charge and are always charged. But neither of those LED lights beats the atmosphere of an old Coleman or Petromax fuel lantern. And if it is cold outside, those fuel lanterns provide an incredible amount of warmth (given adequate ventilation).