Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

I don't care for a brightly lit camp. At night, I want it to be night. The lighting I bring, other than a headlamp is both a small Streamlight LED lantern and my favored UCO candle lantern (the original style with the long burning candles).
Agreed, usually the campfire is enough light for us around camp. When we do have to cook in the dark we now use a battery/LED lantern instead of our old propane lantern. We both can't stand the noise of the propane lantern and it has sat in the shed for a few years now. It's surprising how loud those things are once you get used to the quiet of using something else.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I don't do campfires anymore. Out west, it's simply too risky and I am in camp for never more than an evening. I don't want to be responsible (or waste the water) to be sure a fire is dead out. I understand the desire for campfires, especially with younger campers but I would only make one for necessity now.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I don't do campfires anymore. Out west, it's simply too risky and I am in camp for never more than an evening. I don't want to be responsible (or waste the water) to be sure a fire is dead out. I understand the desire for campfires, especially with younger campers but I would only make one for necessity now.
I'm kind of the same. I get away to see the trees. Why would I want to burn them … meaning firewood. I definitely wouldn't want to start a forest fire!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I also like the idea of hooking the lantern up to a larger propane source in case you want it on for a while.
That's the only way I use, or will use in future, any propane devices, from lanterns to buddy heaters. Use 5, 10, or 20lb refillable tanks. I have two 20lb tanks anyway I use for my stove, portable fire ring, and trailer's water heater.

Those damned 1lb propane cylinders are a landfill nightmare. I do have a refill valve and keep one on hand to refill, though the vast majority of people just throw them out. As someone who does a lot of trail and camp clean-up and who wanders North America regularly, I see a shitload of these nuisance containers at every dump station and left behind in camps. It's actually irresponsible to keep buying and using single-use items like 1lb propane containers.

To answer the post's original question, I love the LED pods that are on the back of my four @gofsr @readylight heads. They're strong, have two levels and a flashing setting, have a built-in flashlight, a hook for hanging, and a strong magnet so you can stick it to your vehicle or any steel surface anywhere. All charged when back on the head, which is solar powered and has a huge powerful light of its own. I never even wired my van interior for lighting because these pods are so handy. See two images below.

Still, I might dig out my propane lantern with mantles now that I use larger cylinders more in camp now. Those older style lanterns do add an ambiance that brings memories flooding back. Just don't use those phuqued up 1lb containers. They're a plague.

These images show--if you look closely--the pods hanging from the edge of my awning and illuminating a circle on the ground. I like task lighting far more than the general all around glow of a lantern.

I agree with the posters who say a campfire or campfire and headlamp is enough and often have just that for camp light. Though when you live on the road or are doing extended multi-month trips, there are a lot of nights you're not just camping like you might on vacation, and need more light for working on gear, cooking a great meal, getting ready for the next day's adventure, etc. And you often camp in places that it gets dark by 4-5pm. It just makes no sense to limit oneself in those situations to just fire and a headlamp for camping's sake.

Look closely below and you can see two light pods hanging from the right edge of the awning over the chairs and table. Perfect task lighting without lighting up the whole area.

Same here; just the campfire and light pods at the points of my awning shining down.

Last edited:

Wdfnds

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Decatur Illinois
First Name
David
Last Name
Staff
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9sal
The ease of led is great. No mess and little maintnence. Carry good led flashlight and headlamp. Also can use a couple led lantern. Less work, more fun.

Wdfnds

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Decatur Illinois
First Name
David
Last Name
Staff
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9sal
Also can be used outside and in sleeping quarters. Can also have red light to maintain night vision when needed. LED

Reactions: grubworm

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
I have three Primus lanterns and they take up (4"x6") very little room Lanterns and give off heat. If you want cold plastic light go LED. Rather have natural light get some heat too. Use the same canisters to run a stove.106784

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Graeman

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Most often we just use two of the "frosted" style Luci Lux solar lanterns. This is enough light to see while eating dinner or around a campfire without totally killing your night vision, and they also work really well to light up a tent. In fact, we usually leave one on all night on the "low" setting as a nightlight for my daughter, and then just throw them on the truck's dashboard to recharge the next morning. We also have a Coleman propane lantern that we sometimes use if we need more light around camp.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I also like the idea of hooking the lantern up to a larger propane source in case you want it on for a while.
This is exactly what I do. I carry a 20lb propane tank on trips right now. I use a propane tower to power my stove off the tank, and screw the latern on top of the tower. I use the propane latern because it's what I have, and it works well, nut if it ever breaks, I'll probably replace it with an led light source.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Led, because it can be turned off.

I prefer natural light during camping as much as possible. We'll get the led's out, only if we need to wrench or stitch someone back together.

Keeps the bugs away as well. Nobody uses lights at night in canada. Up there, Bigfoot is actually just a stack of bugs and flys.

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I really like my Biolite Powerlite and site light string lights. I can charge them while using my biolight stove or using my Goal Zero solar panel. I do still have battery powered flash lights but am not getting any new non rechargeable battery operated lights. I grew up with a Coleman gas lantern and while I love the ambiance and the hiss brings back so many camping memories, it just isn't practical for me to carry.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I love the sound of a Coleman lantern . I reminds me of Boy Scouts and just means camping to me. With the availability of good LEDs , it is hard to justify the lantern .
A couple of LED lights do the same job and take up much less space than a lantern not to mention the 1lb bottles .

It's kinda sad that I just click a button and have light, so easy. I miss the ritual of getting out the lantern , burning the mantels but life moves on and technology does, in some instances ,make life easier .

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I love my white gas Coleman lanterns, but I almost exclusively use my LEDs anymore.

My biggest reason is that the LEDs do not attract nearly as many bugs. The difference in color seems to matter. And not being fond of bugs I am willing to give up the traditional hissing noise.

The LEDs also pack smaller and don't need to have their mantles replaced every other time I use them. Though I do like watching how a new mantle burns when you first install it. And the globes don't break so easily on LEDs either.

I use AA Eneloops in Black Diamond LED lanterns. Those are a winning combination for my household.

Pyrotaco

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fullerton, CA, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Rachuy
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kk6knd
Still have the old Coleman at my parents place, but several year ago switched to an LED lantern carried in the rig. No fussing with it or worrying about having fuel or components for it. The LED lantern is plenty bright, last for a long time with the batteries (rechargeables), and is cool to the touch. I picked up my Rayovac workhorse lantern at home Depot on a sale several years back, use it frequently, and wouldn't go back to a traditional style except in a pinch (shtf situation).

COREadventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Burch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6WGG
I like Goal Zero for a large rechargeable lantern and I have 2. They last a crazy long time between charges and have lasted for a 2 week trip plus. Even when using one on the lowest light as a night light for my son. Recently I purchased some HK Unilights and they were my go to for camp lighting. They have a magnet and elastic strap on the back so they could attach to anything and I love the amber/orange light mode since it is less offensive. I agree with you the old gas lanterns are cool and I have a lot of awesome memories camping with my Dad but LEDs just make so much more sense these days.