Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

A camp lantern is still on my list. I love the original feel of a gas lantern however most people I have met carry battery powered ones around camp. Since I want a good one A. Which one would you guys recommend B. Which type would you recommend? I would like to hear some pro's and con's of each from the community.

This would be used primary for camp. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

LtShorty

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cañon City, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Short
Member #

Awh man, What a great question.... I still have a gas lantern in my cache of gear and it would be difficult to get rid of it......But to tell the truth, I never use it. It is really hard to beat LED lights. Any kind of LED lasts for a very long time on batteries which results in efficient/cheep cost to run. LED are no mess and light weight too. Hands down I would go with with LED but still keep Grandpa’s Coleman gas lantern!

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Awh man, What a great question.... I still have a gas lantern in my cache of gear and it would be difficult to get rid of it......But to tell the truth, I never use it. It is really hard to beat LED lights. Any kind of LED lasts for a very long time on batteries which results in efficient/cheep cost to run. LED are no mess and light weight too. Hands down I would go with with LED but still keep Grandpa’s Coleman gas lantern!
Some great advice. I was leaning more towards a nice LED lantern but I am also wanting that genuine feel of a gas lantern for the good vibes at camp too. May just get both haha.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

offroadinclined

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Moncks Corner, SC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Neacosia
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
Very interesting question. So minute to minute length the LED will last longer than the gas or propane?

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I've mostly switched to LED at this point. I've got a few strings for ambient lighting, a Blazin' Buddy tent light, and I use the Streamlight Siege as my primary. I've still got a couple gas lanterns, and nothing beats them for brightness and that ol' hiss, but I don't even bring them most of the time these days. LED is more compact/lightweight, there's no breakable glass, no mantles or fuel to deal with, there are rechargeable options, and some of them even have remote controls (very useful for midnight bathroom trips).

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Some great advice. I was leaning more towards a nice LED lantern but I am also wanting that genuine feel of a gas lantern for the good vibes at camp too. May just get both haha.
I have both for just that reason. I have fond memories of the hiss of the Coleman gas lantern from my childhood that I never want to let go of. And the memory of my father. I have led lanterns and lantern/fan combos for warmer temperatures. They're pretty inexpensive so just go with what you want.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I love my old Coleman white gas and propane lanterns. Hang a bunch from the trees around camp. Pump the fuel ones up every couple of hours, deal with empty propane canisters, burn the mantles. Maybe I got lazy in my years but, everything I use now is LED. I have a couple of cases with just lanterns. I spotted them on the garage shelf the other week end and was wondering how long its been since they came out. Quite a while.

My Leds are now almost all rechargeable so I don't deal with batteries and now I'm finding ones with small solar panels built in.

Scott

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I love my old Coleman white gas and propane lanterns. Hang a bunch from the trees around camp. Pump the fuel ones up every couple of hours, deal with empty propane canisters, burn the mantles. Maybe I got lazy in my years but, everything I use now is LED. I have a couple of cases with just lanterns. I spotted them on the garage shelf the other week end and was wondering how long its been since they came out. Quite a while.

My Leds are now almost all rechargeable so I don't deal with batteries and now I'm finding ones with small solar panels built in.

Scott
I think I am leaning more towards the LED ones now. I have not had great experiences with the mini solar panels however. Not sure whats up with that though...

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I have 3 coleman powerhouse white gas lanterns, capable of running on dual fuels(unleaded or white gas). They are now reserved for boy scout campouts and general emergency preparedness. All that travels in the rig are three micro LED rechargeable lanterns. They are Uco Pika lamps, I recharge them during the day and hang them out each night. I love their size and light output, and the fact that they don't use batteries. All 4 of them are lighter and smaller than the bottle of fuel required for a single coleman lantern for 3 nights. With the solar setup on the rig to charge the batteries they are pretty much good indefinitely.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I don't care for a brightly lit camp. At night, I want it to be night. The lighting I bring, other than a headlamp is both a small Streamlight LED lantern and my favored UCO candle lantern (the original style with the long burning candles).

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I recommend buying a battery one that uses the same battery as your power tools. So if you use Ryobi 18V cordless drills, get a couple Ryobi 18V lights. That way you have the same batteries, and the same chargers, etc...

James

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I couldn't go without the "hiss" of my propane lanterns. One thing I do on cold mornings is put a lantern under my aluminum table. I don't need the light of course but the warmth on my legs is very nice. The "hiss" also reminds me to not kick it over!

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I have both for just that reason. I have fond memories of the hiss of the Coleman gas lantern from my childhood that I never want to let go of. And the memory of my father. I have led lanterns and lantern/fan combos for warmer temperatures. They're pretty inexpensive so just go with what you want.
I agree with this! The reason I enjoy a gas lantern is primarily because it brings back memories of my father when he used to take us camping. --- Technology is constantly evolving and improving however there is just somthing to be said about an old fashioned gas lantern.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I agree with this! The reason I enjoy a gas lantern is primarily because it brings back memories of my father when he used to take us camping. --- Technology is constantly evolving and improving however there is just somthing to be said about an old fashioned gas lantern.
Just went on my first winter camping trip and rocked the gas lantern. Loved it.20190215_205627.jpg

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

We used a Coleman gas lantern last weekend camping. That thing rocked! However, with needing the propane tanks for the Buddy Heaters, I have a Lucie light (solar) and Luminoodle w/rechargeable pack.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I love the "hiss" of my Coleman but not the mess I seem to always create when I use it. I also have some LEDs that I run off a Goal Zero Yeti and seem to be much better for my "old" eyes.

Reactions: Nickzero