Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Vic
Last Name
Member #

A camp lantern is still on my list. I love the original feel of a gas lantern however most people I have met carry battery powered ones around camp. Since I want a good one A. Which one would you guys recommend B. Which type would you recommend? I would like to hear some pro's and con's of each from the community.

This would be used primary for camp. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Nick, what lighting setup did you end up going with?

I've been using the Black Diamond orbit for many years. The reviews may not be so good, but it's working out for me. Note this is not meant to light up the whole camp outfit. Generally the picnic table or in a tent.

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

A camp lantern is still on my list. I love the original feel of a gas lantern however most people I have met carry battery powered ones around camp. Since I want a good one A. Which one would you guys recommend B. Which type would you recommend? I would like to hear some pro's and con's of each from the community.

Nick, what lighting setup did you end up going with?

I've been using the Black Diamond orbit for many years. The reviews may not be so good, but it's working out for me. Note this is not meant to light up the whole camp outfit. Generally the picnic table or in a tent.

I have a propane gas Colman lantern for stationary spots in camp.
-PROS: supper bright and can warm your hands if need be.
-CONS: Have to carry extra bottles making it bulky and fragile glass and mantels.

I also have a Colman LED lantern.
-PROS: Great for indoor use, bright, light in weight and made of plastic.
-CONS: It takes 4 D batteries and you should carry extras.

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

I use magnetic LEDs now: a 5 bar Hard Korr lighting kit run from my powerpack, and a globe that also acts as a strobe and powerpack. Three of the lightbars are bright white and two switch between orange or white. Orange is nice and relaxing and doesn't attract bugs. Only draws about 2 amps.

I also carry a small candle lantern with 9hr citronella candles for the romance.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have young kids so LED is safer for us. If I need campsite lighting, then a camp fire, if permitted, would provide enough light. But inside the tent, LED provides enough light and safety.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have gas and propane Coleman lanterns. I’ve been going to battery much more often in the last few years because they’re so much smaller and less cumbersome.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I use a couple of these work LED's from Harbor Freight. They have magnetic bases so you can position them pretty much anywhere and they are very bright (with two dim levels) and they recharge fully again through USB the following day. If I need to work on the vehicle in the dark then they are here to serve that purpose as well. In bright mode I can set one up on the Jeep to shine on the camp table several feet away and have all the bugs go toward the light away from our camp location.

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Gosh that's a tough one. I love the wonderful glow and hiss of the gas and propane ones. Feels like real camping. But yes, I have switched to the dark side by buying the GoalZero Lighthouse 400. The new USB rechargables are so amazing. It's not fair to try to compare them. Get both, use both, enjoy what each has to offer.

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

I prefer the simplicity of the LED lights in not needing to worry about fuel and glass. However are there there any good LEDs out that don't attract the bugs? or even any that use a more yellow led like the Milwakee led flashlights I use at work?
I bought a set from Hard Korr Lighting Australia. They have dimmers and even motion sensors. The orange versions don't attract bugs so much and switch between orange and white depending on your needs. I think they have a USA outlet?

Reactions: Sparksalot

mikedave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Albany, OR
First Name
Mike
Last Name
D
Member #

Well...I have a Coleman and don't use it. Too bulky and not as flexible. On long trips, I try to minimize the number of things I have to carry fuel for.

I use LUCI lights because they are solar, LED, inexpensive, have variable intensities, and can be hung anywhere. I hang them on that little rubber piece on the corners of my Jeeps rear window to light up the cooking area. I hang them on my awnings when we are hanging out. I like them because when collapsed they are only about 5" across and an inch thick. I set them on the dash of the Jeep so they recharge and I'm never having to find batteries or fuel or anything.

For "ambience" I also use a Candle Lantern as someone else mentioned. It is also does a nice job of heating the RTT in mild temps and you get the whole flame thing going.

Mike

Reactions: ZombieCat

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

This is some info on a good quality set of lighting IP68 rated. Comes in a padded plastic carry case.

IMG-20190601-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20190601-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20190601-WA0004.jpeg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I've tried so many different lamps over the years. In a nutshell: When it comes to petroleum, the issue is always that I also have to carry fuel with me and that it sometimes smells in the vehicle (risk of falling over and leaking). With the gas lanterns, I never liked the vulnerability of the glow mantle (I think there are now more stable versions, right?). Electrically I always found something unromantic ...

Some time ago I checked again what was going on in the camping lantern market. My requirements were:
electrical with a USB rechargeable and exchangeable battery pack,
  • LED (because I'm a big LED fan)
  • dimmable (more versatile and beautiful light for cosiness in the camp) and
  • classic optics.
Uh, that's a lot of requirements. But I actually found something. The Barebones LED table and hanging lamp availlable in different colour versions. I am very satisfied with that! In the meantime I have also seen them here in the OB store: Beacon Lantern - Antique Bronze

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Gosh that's a tough one. I love the wonderful glow and hiss of the gas and propane ones. Feels like real camping. But yes, I have switched to the dark side by buying the GoalZero Lighthouse 400. The new USB rechargables are so amazing. It's not fair to try to compare them. Get both, use both, enjoy what each has to offer.
I recently added a GZ Core Lighthouse to my kit. The dimming feature is great. They seem to make some nice products. I hope it works well on my next few trips. Looking forward to having dimmable and directional lighting.

FlorianR

Rank 0

Contributor I

los angeles
First Name
Florian
Last Name
Ruhstaller

For camping I would recommend a gas powered variant. You can check out a lot of different options at French Market Lanterns. They have a lot of different ones you can choose from

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Nearly all my lighting is USB rechargable stuff or at least runs on USB power. To me it's just a lot easier to deal with, setup, tear down ect. And no extra fuel containers to bring along.

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Living in BC, I'll do anything to avoid the risk of fuel and flame. I too grew up with the hiss of a white gas Coleman lamp but technology has made giant strides and I have no desire to start this... 50 miles from home, 2 years ago, Syringa Provincial Park.... I'll stick to LED technology.

View attachment 131392
We were at Grundy Provincial Park in Ontario in mid 2019 and had a great time. One week later there was a forest fire and about 700 campers had to pack up and get out FAST. The internal roads and trails aren't really set up for that so I can only imagine the chaos.

Like you, I grew up with camp gas. I happily converted to propane but I've since "seen the light" and it's LED. It's clean, compact, safe, light and BRIGHT! I definitely miss the hiss though.

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Am a fan of both based on the needs. In the chill of winter air my hands "stop working". Have a propane lamp heat source has saved many a meal. For the camper/tent LED, for me is the way to go. For portability, fixing a broken thing in the dead of night, LEDs are hard to beat. Be they head strap, magnetic mount or several to kill the light shadows.

Since I have propane for cooking, the propane lamp only requires 10 seconds more to mount on the tree pole. No brainer. Warmer weather and longer days reduce the need for light & heat. LEDs fill the bill.

Looks at when and where you plan to go. Then create a list of pros & cons. If you choose one over the other make sure you understand the possibility having to address "wish I had gotten one".

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I a, didn't have the dad thing growing up, instead when the time came I was the dad and got the Coleman whitegas double mantle lantern for our Black Rock Desert trips in the 70's. Hated the fact I had to replace the mantles EVERY FRELLING TRIP, and sometimes multiple times on the vacation as vibration broke the ash apart.
Now I am single and went to a single mantle Coleman lantern, still have to carry extra mantles, hate the flareup as it ignites, can't take it in the tent. I have stopped taking it.
I have a small LED lantern, great burn(?) time , but uses batteries. I got it before USB rechargeables came out. Works great I love it, I can hear the desert and forest at night when it is on.

I'd like to get away from using batteries.

Thinking of going to an old fashioned oil lamp, hurricane style. I don't think the lumens will be as bright, but our eyes adjust. Most the website I've visited tout 20 hours run time on a tank.

So anyone use one and have thoughts? I can also use it at home during emergencies.

Pros; ? economical, ease of use

Cons: liquid fuel storage, flame, transportation storage

IDK..........

Attachments

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

While in college in the mid sixties, I bought a Coleman 413E double burner stove and a 228J lantern at a yard sale; Both use liquid fuel and are likely well over seventy. These are sill my camping go to's for cooking and lighting, For those having problems with mantles and globes, Coleman makes several different styles of carrying cases that offer decent protection . I'm partial to their padded soft zip-up versions and honestly can't remember how long its been since I replaced a mantle and the globe is the original. With minimal care, these things simply keep on working. I do have and use a few LED lights and carry a propane fueled campfire-in-a-can for use when wood fires are prohibited so I'm far from a purist but the old gear brings back so many memories.

Reactions: Tundracamper

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I have at least a dozen Coleman lanterns but have pretty much moved to LED. I have a couple small Snow Peak lights that take 2 AA batteries that I use in the tent. The last time we went camping, my daughter kept the light burning all night and it still was going in the morning. For around the camp I have a variety of LED lanterns. Recently I bought one from Costco that has a rechargeable battery but also takes 4 Ds as a back up. It has a USB charger on the front. Batteries last a long time in LED lights but I still try and remember to take the batteries out between uses so they don't start to leak. I've lost too many electronics here in the southwest due to leaking batteries.