Launch Member

Advocate III

Fort Worth
First Name
darren
Last Name
contino
Member #

Love my gas lantern, but carry and use both. Hard to believe but one of my favorites is a collapsible solar led lantern. Going to throw a couple more in the bag.

Reactions: Dodge Cummins

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Primus gas lantern for the tent, old Coleman white gas for the table and UCO candle lantern for back up, extra heat and bug repellent are my go too lighting solution.I don't care for battery powered lights, wasteful, and don't really care for the canisters for the Primus but they are much more cost effective and convenient.

Of course always an LED head lamp on hand which last, like, forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr

TrailMasonCliff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

KS
First Name
Cliff
Last Name
Jones
I prefer the simplicity of the LED lights in not needing to worry about fuel and glass. However are there there any good LEDs out that don't attract the bugs? or even any that use a more yellow led like the Milwakee led flashlights I use at work?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I prefer the simplicity of the LED lights in not needing to worry about fuel and glass. However are there there any good LEDs out that don't attract the bugs? or even any that use a more yellow led like the Milwakee led flashlights I use at work?
I dont know of any light that wont attract bugs gas lights ar even worse at attracting em due to the co2 put out attracts mosquitos even more, if youve got an inverter you could try these.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Living in BC, I'll do anything to avoid the risk of fuel and flame. I too grew up with the hiss of a white gas Coleman lamp but technology has made giant strides and I have no desire to start this... 50 miles from home, 2 years ago, Syringa Provincial Park.... I'll stick to LED technology.

39807904_10155541724161288_2444147832387534848_n.jpg

Reactions: PCO6 and RoarinRow

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I live in the most of the time very soggy Southeast. I originally went with LED lighting using a combination of rechargeable and battery powered lights. I even have some solar powered lights. With all those lights you have work to do in advance to either make sure the rechargeable ones are charged, fresh batteries for the regular battery ones and make sure the solar ones are charged. Then my Coleman sickness affliction kicked in and I went out and picked up a couple of older Coleman lanterns, one is an old propane one and one is I'm guessing a white gas one, has the plunger for pumping. I also have a Brinkman propane one. These are nice because I can hang them around camp on the low setting and they give a nice soft glow so you can see walking around. On low they will last forever on a 1lb propane tank. I will in the future be upgrading to larger refillable tanks and will find somewhere to recycle the 1lb tanks I do use. I just find it easier to make sure I have propane since I also need it for my grill and not have to worry about charging batteries or making sure the solar lights are charged. I will still bring along a few LED lights for focused light but my general campground lighting will now be propane based.

Last edited:

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I love the idea of gas lantern (I grew up using them), but technology has made it so easy to go in the other direction. The Coleman Multi-Panel Lantern has four LED panels, each of which can be removed and used as a flashlight. It also has a USB charging port. I'vce been using it for three years now and have been disappointed with it.

Lantern.jpg

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have both for just that reason. I have fond memories of the hiss of the Coleman gas lantern from my childhood that I never want to let go of. And the memory of my father.
Chadlyb sums it up for me too... I love the sound and the light from an old gas lantern... But I have gotten tired of replacing mantels every time I use them, carrying extra fuel that is only used in the lantern being careful not to break the glass globe and rebuilding the pump or cleaning jets...

I do have a couple LED's now.. They are more compact, no mess and just swap batteries when needed. The light isn't the same they just don't light up the camp like the older ones did and the sound is replaced by quiet..

But.... Sometime I still bring out the old school lantern on longer weekends and get back to my roots..

BullMoose1776

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Bull
Last Name
Moose
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BFE
I'm 100% in on propane. I have an old simple 2 mantle Coleman, maybe 20 years old, and I replaced the glass with a screen. It's indestructible now.

I have often forgotten batteries, or they've come up dead, but I've never been without propane.

I also bought a " propane tree" that I mount to the propane tank, and I put the lantern on top.

Last point, when it's time to hit the hammock, I shut off the tank and let the lantern burn off everything left in the tree. It's incredible how little propane it uses, and how long it takes to burn off that small amount.

Reactions: Anak

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
I have 4 Primus backpacking lanterns...heat and natural light. Ultra light and use same fuel as my msr stoves.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have a multi-fuel Coleman lantern that will probably sit in my basement in the event I actually need it, just like it's matching stove. I run solely propane now for my stove and I recently made the switch to run larger tanks for no waste bottles. I plan on moving the propane lantern over to the larger tank as well. I like having the propane lanterns and stoves since that's all we used in Scouts with the similar nostalgia a lot of member have with the white gas. I recently picked up a solar powered lantern from MPowerd. It was the cheap one for about $10 on Amazon. Figured I'd give it a shot. While it's not quite like the Coleman lantern in terms of brightness or lumens, it works well for what it is. They are decently bright, pack down next to nothing, relatively cheap, and have multiple modes. While I just went with the cheap option, MPowerd has many other versions. I just like how they are easy to use and require no battery replacements or fuel. I can flatten them out and set them on the dash of the rig or a picnic table in the sun and they will charge quickly. Downside is if you have limited or no sun. But that's where the other versions come in with the USB recharge capability. While I want to leave the responsibility for charging them with the kiddos, sometimes USB charge option would be nice when the sun doesn't charge them up. Just another reason to get a solar setup with a battery cache.

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
The majority of lights in my kit are LED at this point, but I still pack my trusty white gas Coleman my dad gave me as a birthday present many years ago. When woods camping, I will often string it up a large tree and am always amazed at how well it broadcasts light. Yes, LED's are easier, and lighter, and dont require mantles or fuel or priming.....but I love it, nonetheless. It also makes me feel like my dad is with me. I'm a little odd I suppose, but I have taught my daughters to use this old lantern as well as how to use all of my old-school stoves (Coleman double burner, Svea 123, etc.) I think we rely a little too much on modern electronic things. And honestly- nothing can beat the soft, organic glow of an old Coleman lantern.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I'm 100% in on propane. I have an old simple 2 mantle Coleman, maybe 20 years old, and I replaced the glass with a screen. It's indestructible now.

I have often forgotten batteries, or they've come up dead, but I've never been without propane.

I also bought a " propane tree" that I mount to the propane tank, and I put the lantern on top.

Last point, when it's time to hit the hammock, I shut off the tank and let the lantern burn off everything left in the tree. It's incredible how little propane it uses, and how long it takes to burn off that small amount.
please expand on the replacement "screen". thanks, Ron

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Yes sir. Here's what I have.

STANSPORT - Wire Mesh Camp Lantern Globe Replacement (Stainless Steel)
You'll never break another globe on a lantern again.
Mesh globes are the only ones I use. Indestructible as you say … plus they sound better.