TankConcrete

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minnesota, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Ledwith
I still haven’t delved into my Overlander yet. I have a trip next month, where I hope to really try it out. I hope Garmin keeps improving it and adding new features.
If you’re still thinking about it, there appears to be a $200 rebate on the Garmin site from 1 August through 30 September. Might make the cost a little easier to handle.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I still haven’t delved into my Overlander yet. I have a trip next month, where I hope to really try it out. I hope Garmin keeps improving it and adding new features.
If you’re still thinking about it, there appears to be a $200 rebate on the Garmin site from 1 August through 30 September. Might make the cost a little easier to handle.
That’s a nice little discount! Hopefully it helps anyone who has been interested in the unit.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Paying effectively $400 makes this pretty damn tempting even just to try it out.
I paid a little over 400.00, and I think it’s worth it. Does a lot of cool stuff. I hope with some updates, it will add some more features. But, in the short period I’ve had it, they’ve done a bunch of firmware stuff.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I paid a little over 400.00, and I think it’s worth it. Does a lot of cool stuff. I hope with some updates, it will add some more features. But, in the short period I’ve had it, they’ve done a bunch of firmware stuff.
Yeah I bought mine around $500 back in Dec. I've been happy with it, but I'm willing to sit there and learn any device and it's quirks. I will say if you're not willing to sit there and spend at least some time with it before a trip. It may end up frustrating you. I have it down very well now and really love it in conjunction with Gaia GPS. And it's been constantly updated every few months at least it seems.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Yeah I bought mine around $500 back in Dec. I've been happy with it, but I'm willing to sit there and learn any device and it's quirks. I will say if you're not willing to sit there and spend at least some time with it before a trip. It may end up frustrating you. I have it down very well now and really love it in conjunction with Gaia GPS. And it's been constantly updated every few months at least it seems.
I haven’t had a lot of time messing with it in depth. I’m trying to figure the map layers. Seems like you have to do the layers by each area you’re going to? They need to do a tutorial on all the in depth features, how to build maps, and handle layers.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I haven’t had a lot of time messing with it in depth. I’m trying to figure the map layers. Seems like you have to do the layers by each area you’re going to? They need to do a tutorial on all the in depth features, how to build maps, and handle layers.
You are correct. You have to physically browse each quadrant on the map you need. If doing the areal view specifically you have to be zoomed in quite a way. Then you can turn off each layer independently. Make sure Hybrid map is on if you want as much info on the screen you can have. And keep in mind that certain layers will override others. I can't remember which one it is but I think it's one of the topo maps that always displays on top. I'll update further when I can look at my device.

Reactions: enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

You are correct. You have to physically browse each quadrant on the map you need. If doing the areal view specifically you have to be zoomed in quite a way. Then you can turn off each layer independently. Make sure Hybrid map is on if you want as much info on the screen you can have. And keep in mind that certain layers will override others. I can't remember which one it is but I think it's one of the topo maps that always displays on top. I'll update further when I can look at my device.
I appreciate the feedback. You can DM me with details if you want. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I’m coming from Gaia, so it’s a little new.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
One belief I've seen is there is a cell signal everywhere. That is true if you are not getting into the wild. Younger people seem to believe that there is a cell signal everywhere. They also don't know what a paper map is. . I just spent a week in Montana with zero cell signal.
I could put on the Garmin and know exactly how far and how to get to the nearest hospital ,post office or anywhere. Try that with a system that requires a cell signal.

Fosters

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Goldhawke
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4NTX
Features I would like to see added…

App connectivity to “Garmin drive”…this would provide alternate means of traffic reportingand live weather

trip planner, this is available on the Zumo xt so shouldn’t be difficult to bring over

a means to reset the explore abc features…I live in Florida and the barometer and altimeter are so faroff they are useless.

Garmin VIRB control…once again something Garmin has provided-on past devices

Live camera…have this on my Zumo xt and would like it simply to see live shots of delays etc up ahead

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Features I would like to see added…

App connectivity to “Garmin drive”…this would provide alternate means of traffic reportingand live weather

trip planner, this is available on the Zumo xt so shouldn’t be difficult to bring over

a means to reset the explore abc features…I live in Florida and the barometer and altimeter are so faroff they are useless.

Garmin VIRB control…once again something Garmin has provided-on past devices

Live camera…have this on my Zumo xt and would like it simply to see live shots of delays etc up ahead
You can write in to them with recommendations. I’ve called them, and they’ve put in tickets for things I’d like to see. I just did it the other day. They gave me a case number and all.

Reactions: mep1811 and Fosters

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I’m wondering if Garmin has a Overlander V2.0 coming out. This is the second sale they’ve run on the unit this year. As we Know, Garmin isn’t one for charity.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
It would not surprise me given it's been 3ish years. My only question is what direction will/would they go? Cheaper, Same, or increase the "overland tax". I could potentially see them doing all 3 but more likely the 1st or 3rd option. Cheaper would make sense because maybe they want a larger share of the market, but what would it sacrifice in terms of features? The more expensive route is the partially the inverse. What would they add to make it "better" and make it relatively "worth more" than the original price? Or they could just update the look and the internals a bit and just up the price by 10% like everything else.

Features I'd personally like to see added would be:

1. Weather/Radar App independent of inReach
  2. Option for Cellular (Traffic Data could potentially more accurate/updated quicker)
  3. Rotating Swivel Mount for portrait/landscape use
I'm sure I could think of more but those would be my top 3 probably.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

It would not surprise me given it's been 3ish years. My only question is what direction will/would they go? Cheaper, Same, or increase the "overland tax". I could potentially see them doing all 3 but more likely the 1st or 3rd option. Cheaper would make sense because maybe they want a larger share of the market, but what would it sacrifice in terms of features? The more expensive route is the partially the inverse. What would they add to make it "better" and make it relatively "worth more" than the original price? Or they could just update the look and the internals a bit and just up the price by 10% like everything else.

2. Option for Cellular (Traffic Data could potentially more accurate/updated quicker)
My bet is a update with InReach built-in. And minimal features. Look at the difference in the Montana series. 600 series vrs 700I series, also Their alpha dog collars. Only difference is In Reach built-in.

It is all about a reoccurring revenue stream with InReach.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
My bet is a update with InReach built-in. And minimal features. Look at the difference in the Montana series. 600 series vrs 700I series, also Their alpha dog collars. Only difference is In Reach built-in.

That's a solid bet and you're right. It fits their patterns as of late. And since I have a inReach Mini I wouldn't buy the new version unless it had a significant benefit over my current one.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I personally don’t care about inReach built in. I already have multiple inReach devices, so that isn’t enough for me to upgrade.

I would like them to focus more on the software. For example, more map layers, and more of an ability to do the work right on the Overlander vs using a desktop. They could take a cue from Gaia, and add some of what they offer. I know the Overlander gets hate, but I honestly like the device. They just need to throw more attention at it.

Reactions: Fosters

WU7X

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Avery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WU7X
Question for this group: I own an iPad 2, think it's a 10" version that I've had for several years. I run both Gaia GPS and inReach sofftware on it. My only issue is screen visability while mounted on the dash. It's terrible. How is the Garmin Overlander's visibility while mounted in your rig?

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Question for this group: I own an iPad 2, think it's a 10" version that I've had for several years. I run both Gaia GPS and inReach sofftware on it. My only issue is screen visability while mounted on the dash. It's terrible. How is the Garmin Overlander's visibility while mounted in your rig?
I haven’t found glare to be an issue. The screen is also slightly recessed into the case.