Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I'm using GAIA on Uconnect in my Ram. You have to setup Testflight which allows you to load the beta version of Gaia on your device. This link should help: Join the Gaia GPS Hiking, Hunting Maps beta
Let me know if you have any other issues, I'm glad to help.
I already have the app as well. During my lunch break I downloaded the free testflight app... and then did a google search for Gaia apple carplay. Then followed a link on the gaia website that linked in the gaia beta version onto my phone. It says that it is good for 89 days... and I can go back to normal gaia at any time or leave feedback for helping them make it better.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
It works!

I just have the free version of the app too... and an old iPhone 5.

I was on the side waiting to see if the CarPlay thing came to fruition first. I shall now upgrade to the premium membership to gain access to the crazy amount of high-end maps that come with the premium membership.

It basically just looks like a regular map in free mode. I could not type in an address with turn-by-turn directions. However, the basic map was pretty darn detailed. Especially with things off of the beaten path.

Also, I imported my track labeled "Yellowstone" for a trip I am attempting to plan out. It showed perfectly fine. So I will map out the Alpine Loop in Colorado and White Rim Trail out in Moab, UT. When we make the trip to Yellowstone (seeing several other parks on the way) I will be able to follow my pre-drawn out trails to follow.

AS AN IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE:

A few months back I was ferrying a helicopter from here in Elizabeth City, NC allllll the way up to Kodiak, AK. The only two apps that worked EVERYWHERE we went were...

1) Gaia
2) Navionics

These were the only two apps that use the GPS chip in my phone. They even worked way out in BFE in Canada and waaay out over the ocean.

Pic for proof that the app works in CarPlay. These are the apps that I have that work with carplay. (I could not take a pic once I opened the app) Yes... that is a YouTube... however it does not play on the screen. I can just hit play/pause with the screen. However, you can watch youtube and other apps if you jailbreak your phone... which I will never do.

IMG_1559.JPG

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

ok so when I doooooo this Iloaded the test flight andI get this message " no apps available to test" sois it just me? or are they really limiting the the app?

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

What does jail breaking do to your phone? Also I just noticed that there is a little yellow dot next to the Gaia icon on my phone. Ihsdnt seen that before. Anyone know what that means? And this might be dumb. But if I have Gaia already and I down load the beta which I managed to do for hunting and hiking. Shouldn’t there be 2 icons. The beta wouldn’t override my purchased app would it ?

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
ok so when I doooooo this Iloaded the test flight andI get this message " no apps available to test" sois it just me? or are they really limiting the the app?
Mine said the same thing when I downloaded the testflight app. I then did a google search for something like " Gaia Apple carplay" and followed a link to a gaia website page. Followed a link in the page and it linked my testflight app to my gaia gps app.

After that I was able to use Apple Carplay using my Gaia app. It says that it is good for 89 days and I can disable it at any time or leave feedback for them to make updates.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
What does jail breaking do to your phone? Also I just noticed that there is a little yellow dot next to the Gaia icon on my phone. Ihsdnt seen that before. Anyone know what that means? And this might be dumb. But if I have Gaia already and I down load the beta which I managed to do for hunting and hiking. Shouldn’t there be 2 icons. The beta wouldn’t override my purchased app would it ?
Mine has a yellow dot next to it now too. It just seems to have linked the Gaia app with the testflight app. I still have my saved routes in my Gaia app... which I was able to turn on in CarPlay… which tells me that they must be linked or something.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Update. Driving back from Oakhurst to carlsbadihad my iPhone on Gaia and opened Gaia on the Uconnect in my Jeep trough car play both worked well however the colors for car play were dark dark green background and brown topo lines made the Uconnect hard to see. So l switched t o google on the Uconnect and had aerial view and topo Aerial on the Uconnect are Gaia topo on the iPhone sweet so now if car play gets the color issue fixed it will be awesome. The irony is just about a week before this was known (to me) I ordered a 512 gig iPad Pro used for about 1/2 price. And it was waiting for me when I got home. So by my way of thinking if I would have ordered it months ago we would have had it for months

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Carplay was released out of beta and is now in the latest Gaia GPS update.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

ok so I willhave to check it out but lst week end i had it running on my iphone and google earth on the screen in my jeep unconnect 8.4. I di have one issue though and that was when i reversed it so that gai was running on the u connect screen, th e topo and background wasvery very dark tot he point I couldn't read it . Does any one know if this is a function of the beta and is now corrected or if it is something else. The dark screen onl y occurred when running Gaia. Do I need to unistal gaia and then reinstall it or something like that?

Hambone

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Scarlett
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WUB
Just got GAIA and was looking to upgrade my trucks head unit to something with carplay. Has anyone used GAIA through carplay? is it even possible? how does it run if it is?
I have car play in my 4Runner, i will check tomorrow and see if it works and give an update.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Update. Driving back from Oakhurst to carlsbadihad my iPhone on Gaia and opened Gaia on the Uconnect in my Jeep trough car play both worked well however the colors for car play were dark dark green background and brown topo lines made the Uconnect hard to see. So l switched t o google on the Uconnect and had aerial view and topo Aerial on the Uconnect are Gaia topo on the iPhone sweet so now if car play gets the color issue fixed it will be awesome. The irony is just about a week before this was known (to me) I ordered a 512 gig iPad Pro used for about 1/2 price. And it was waiting for me when I got home. So by my way of thinking if I would have ordered it months ago we would have had it for months
check your global carplay settings. It may be set for darkmode always. Mine was set this way. I thought it was a Gaia issue when it was actually a CarPlay setting.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

The latest update for Gaia just showed up on my iPhone and iPad. It now works on Apple CarPlay natively.

No need for the Beta workaround.

Pretty cool.

19F65789-84C9-4BD4-BF6D-0B1E704CEDAD.jpeg

Last edited:

Hambone

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Scarlett
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WUB
Just got GAIA and was looking to upgrade my trucks head unit to something with carplay. Has anyone used GAIA through carplay? is it even possible? how does it run if it is?
So my 2020 4Runner has apple car play and I could not get Gaia to work.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Hmmmmm. I could not get it to work.
make sure you have the latest version of Gaia. I checked and saw I had the .3 version and had to force an update. Once I did that, I restarted my phone and checked theCarPlay settings and there it was.Went back to my car, plugged it in and worked like a charm.

Reactions: Hambone

Hambone

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Scarlett
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WUB
make sure you have the latest version of Gaia. I checked and saw I had the .3 version and had to force an update. Once I did that, I restarted my phone and checked theCarPlay settings and there it was.Went back to my car, plugged it in and worked like a charm.
I’m gonna try that tomorrow. Thank you for the advice.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How do you force the update?

Kgorman

Rank III

Member I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
G
Member #

Posted this on another thread as well.. Got it setup in the new truck (2020 Ford F-250 with Sync3) and it seems to work awesome! No need to mount iPad - and you can have the passenger route plan while the driver follows the route on CarPlay. I’m going to keep playing with it and seeing if there are bugs but so far so good!