Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

This doesn’t help my budget, I will have to spend $ on a head unit that has CarPlay now!!! Dang it! Was saving for those new shiny rims? LOL
If you don’t care about a CD player you can get a mechless double din with carplay pretty cheap

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Is Waze good? I will read up on that. All I have heard about it is that you can mark cop cars with it to warn other waze users. Lol
I have all 3 (Apple maps,google and waze) I kinda switch between all 3. Waze I like a bit more as it a bit more real time, as like you said other waze users report accidents, cops, traffic etc. like the other day I got stuck in traffic, Apple and google didn’t show it but waze did and it reported it as an accident

Reactions: great08

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

In my experience, Waze is a bit faster to adapt to current traffic conditions, and trying to help route you around slow downs, etc. I still prefer Google Maps over the others so far, as having the satellite view can definitely help you when you're in unfamiliar territory ("so is the turn before or after that gas station?!"). My cars nav system is gets some use while I'm running GAIA on the phone sometimes...when we've lost signal on our devices, the cars nav system is still updating, and for the most part has shown us to to still be on roads and all, and has helped get us headed back towards our next destination, without needed a cellular signal.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Sbj what are you drivung that you can get sat maps on your dash board? How? Do you have to have a cell ervice or wifi ? Thinking you must cause i dont think that yiu can do it with gps alone? What I really wish is that some company would just load the entire usa and canada onto some kind of drive or drives ( state by state) with full topo down to a zoom level 15 or so. So icould just plug it in ti the usb port on my jeep have it link up with the gps and be done no bs loaded tile after tile
What is so hard abiut that.?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I use Sygic Navigation with Car Play. Sygic uses offline maps and you choose the states you want to download.

Wendell-R

Rank 0

Contributor I

So Cal
Gaia has a beta version that has some Car Play support (you need to install it via TestFlight since it's not released yet).

It doesn't appear to have a heading up mode yet and doesn't appear to let you pan around on the map.

I haven't really used it much - just put it on a test phone to check it out - given the current limitations, it doesn't seem practical for your only display (and I don't think Apple supports Car Play on tablets, so to display it on your head unit, it needs to be installed on a phone anyway)

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

I have it in beta testing on apple car play in f150 (sync 3), I just drive around with it, it does shows all roads ,streets names, hwy, parkings ,parks,there was just recent update ,it changed a little, you can zoom in/out and move side to side, no touch screen

I305

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Israel
Last Name
Perez-Siam
Just want to provide an update on Gia and CarPlay. I did a nice trip this weekend and tested out the Gaia beta version that supports Car Play and I was extremely impressed. I am sure more features are coming, but I was able to use my downloaded maps, I followed a route and I was able to create waypoints. It also recorded a track. I did all of this thru touch on my head unit.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Sounds like it is time for me to download and try out the Beta version. I am headed out to the Massanutten, VA area in a few weeks for a ski trip. Probably will see if I can find a trail or two in the area to try out.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Can you do that ? I have gaia onmy iphone and in my Jeep jl there is uconnect, which has carplay. So How doyou get gaia beta to car play?

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

the bummer is I just spent 500 on a 10. ipad pro with 512 g specifically to run gaia . not to mentionram and 67 mounts. and a 5 year subscription to gaia pro!

I305

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Israel
Last Name
Perez-Siam
Can you do that ? I have gaia onmy iphone and in my Jeep jl there is uconnect, which has carplay. So How doyou get gaia beta to car play?
I'm using GAIA on Uconnect in my Ram. You have to setup Testflight which allows you to load the beta version of Gaia on your device. This link should help: Join the Gaia GPS Hiking, Hunting Maps beta
Let me know if you have any other issues, I'm glad to help.