Rank VI

Explorer I

Sunbury, OH, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Sheedy
Member #

Hey guys, I have started throwing around an idea for my LC of putting some rubber on the top of the hood for camping, working on the vehicle, holding a cold one, etc. I really like the look of the defender hood so I want to do something like the picture below. I have looked all over the internet for something similar and, to my knowledge, nothing exists. Do you guys do anything like this, Land Cruiser or other?

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 9.57.35 AM.png

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Hey guys, I have started throwing around an idea for my LC of putting some rubber on the top of the hood for camping, working on the vehicle, holding a cold one, etc. I really like the look of the defender hood so I want to do something like the picture below. I have looked all over the internet for something similar and, to my knowledge, nothing exists. Do you guys do anything like this, Land Cruiser or other?

View attachment 242279
Well, on the Defenders, that is diamond plate aluminum, FYI.

Reactions: Sheedy614

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Yeah, I saw that it is a diamond plate. Most of them were metal or plastic (aftermarket) I am just intrigued with the idea of an adhesive-backed rubber that I could size and stick to the hood.
Cool idea. Good luck with any adhesive and engine bay heat. I believe you’re going to end up drilling holes for mechanical fasteners.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Interesting idea.
The hood is pretty big. I don't think I would like just throwing a big piece of diamond plate on it without breaking up the pattern. On the defender, it has the raised hood scoop in the center. Something along those lines is what I'm thinking. Just need to come up with something for the center.
Sticking it too the hood wont be an issue. There's some nasty two sided tape out there. Worse case you get some nice stainless screws.
I've been looking into fixing my hood paint checking anyway.

Sheedy614

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sunbury, OH, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Sheedy
Member #

Cool idea. Good luck with any adhesive and engine bay heat. I believe you’re going to end up drilling holes for mechanical fasteners.
Good point. I need to put heat treatment on the inside of the hood as well because, well, the OEM one is nonexistent!

Sheedy614

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sunbury, OH, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Sheedy
Member #

Interesting idea.
The hood is pretty big. I don't think I would like just throwing a big piece of diamond plate on it without breaking up the pattern. On the defender, it has the raised hood scoop in the center. Something along those lines is what I'm thinking. Just need to come up with something for the center.
Sticking it too the hood wont be an issue. There's some nasty two sided tape out there. Worse case you get some nice stainless screws.
I've been looking into fixing my hood paint checking anyway.
I was thinking about just doing the sides of the hood and leaving the main portion of my hood still has good paint. I do think it would be handy.