FZJ80 door locks

• HTML tutorial

WakeUpAndSmellThe80

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Minnesota
Member #

Since I bought my 97 LandCruiser, the Ignition key will not work on the doors. They will not turn the locks at all. Is it likely that the lock cylinders were changed at one point? Or could it be that Landcruisers have separate keys? The dealership won't talk to me unless I pay them, so I wanted to see if anyone here has an understanding of these locks. I'm paranoid about my things being stolen so I'd like to fix this as soon as I can.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Most likely the ignition switch has been changed out. The contacts on the back are famous for wearing, resulting in no start conditions, so most likely your door cylinders are original, and your ignition key is a replacement.

Reactions: WakeUpAndSmellThe80

WakeUpAndSmellThe80

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Minnesota
Member #

Most likely the ignition switch has been changed out. The contacts on the back are famous for wearing, resulting in no start conditions, so most likely your door cylinders are original, and your ignition key is a replacement.
Thanks ! I never thought of that's. I'll go get a vin specific key cut at the dealer as cheap as it is and see if that does anything

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Originally they were all keyed the same. My Truck has 221,000 miles on it, and the ignition switch has been replaced twice. I have the luxury of having a couple of these on a lot, and I am able to just replace the contacts, and keep the original tumbler, so my factory key works fine still without a lot of hassle. Making keys work on 23 year old vehicles sometimes requires the sacrifice of chickens, and ritualistic dancing in the dark...

Last edited: