thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
I'm in the market for a new vehicle. I've been on the road for about a year now, meaning that I've primarily lived out of my vehicle, a 2014 Honda Pilot, until it was totaled.

I've settled on a pickup truck with a camper shell, given my budget and what I like to do. I am not trying to do any serious off-roading, but in my travels in my Pilot I did frequently encounter roads where I wish I had more clearance/off road capability. I will be traveling around the northwest and southwest united states. Basically anywhere with some mountains and that's where I feel most at home. I think I can pull this off for at least another year, maybe two, before I need to settle in somewhere, unless I can figure out a way to generate income while on the road.

I'll be buying a vehicle used, looking at 2011-2015.

I've been approved for 21K loan, which means there are a few Tundras out there which I can buy, but a lot more F-150's.

I'm leaning towards the Tundra based on my research, for reliability, better clearance and presumably better off-road capability. But I could save a few thousand by getting an F-150.

Anyone have any strong feelings on one or the other?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have good friend that’s lives 30 miles away from a pave roads in Baja. He has had Toyota’s and US trucks, he’ll tell you to go US trucks, the Toyota don’t last as long. His road is washboard rotted pretty hard.
I also have a friend in AK that services the pipeline with a fleet of trucks, he’ll tell you the same.
I have had both Toyota’s, Ford’s and Rams, they all have served me well.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

This will get you started

Reactions: thalooch

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Sorry. Just noticed you are looking 11 to 15.

A RAM 1500 in those years you would probably want to look 14 and 15. You will want the Part time transfer case. You can get RamBox for some extra storage. The Crew Cab has some slick RamBins in the floor. 5.7l Hemi and 8spd trans are bulletproof...unless you read the internet...then you do have to concern yourself with Hemi tick.

The Outdoorsman trim is a pretty great option.

The 3.6l v6 is a tried and true engine also. It just uses a weaker 8sp trans but is still bulletproof.

There is a great bit of aftermarket support and the platform is still in production. Started in 2009 and you can still buy a 2021 classic.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I love my F-150, but reliability long term I still can’t comment on. It’s a 2018 with 53k miles so still early.

Other Toyota’s I’ve owned lasted forever but I can’t say about tundras.

Tundras has a lot of aftermarket overland stuff, while F-150 has decent but not nearly as many options.

One thing I can say for sure is that you won’t find too many decked out F-150s out there compared to Tundras

Attachments

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

F-150 without question. My Gladiator has a comparable payload to a Tundra (better than some, actually) which IMO is just not acceptable for a full-size pickup. The Toyota will be more reliable but that generation of F-150 with the V8 is a pretty solid truck.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Personally, I am absolutely loving my F-150 with the 5.0 L Coyote engine. This thing has all the power you can ask for. I love the Tundra too, but driving it compared to 2015 and up F-150 it just feels old and tired. The F-150 also gets better mileage. And don't sleep on Ford reliability. Between 3 Fords I have owned, I have racked up a combined 430,000 miles, and my newest one of those three only has 6000 miles on it. The biggest repair I've had to make between these vehicles was replacing a thermostat and housing.

Maybe I've just been lucky with the Fords but I have had nothing but great experiences with them. My advice is drive both of them and see which one fits you better.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

I have the 2014 Ram 1500 with the 3.6, plenty of power and the 8 spd works well, been solid for over 100K so far and the only thing I have replaced have been the tires, belt, both pretty much on schedule, and the factory battery gave up after 6 years. The issue I find for the Ram of this vintage is a lack of gearing and no lockers, so changing the tire size has a power price involved. They are also very prone to service recalls, 9 recalls in the time I have owned it, none that had impacted te truck, which is a plus, but a lot of Chrysler dealership trips.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

I have the 2014 Ram 1500 with the 3.6, plenty of power and the 8 spd works well, been solid for over 100K so far and the only thing I have replaced have been the tires, belt, both pretty much on schedule, and the factory battery gave up after 6 years. The issue I find for the Ram of this vintage is a lack of gearing and no lockers, so changing the tire size has a power price involved. They are also very prone to service recalls, 9 recalls in the time I have owned it, none that had impacted the truck, which is a plus, but a lot of Chrysler dealership trips.

You can search windshield pics to see where I take the ram through.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I cant in good conscience recommend an f150. There are too many of my customers (work/DD) that have had bad experiences with them. The 5.4 has valvetrain issues. I've done a water pump on every customer's 5.0 that we service- all before 50k miles. The rear has severe axle wrap in stock trim and the 9.75 rear ends burn through carrier and pinion bearings regardless of how often they are serviced. And I'm not even going to touch on their vacuum hubs.

Many folks have good luck with them, as you'd expect, but I will never personally invest my money in one with as much work as we do.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'd get a 250/350, and then try to get a camper nicer than a simple shell. Way beefier than a half ton.

Cash. How can you full time with a loan?

Last edited:

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
I'd get a 250/350, and then try to get a camper nicer than a simple shell. Way beefier than a half ton.

Cash. How can you full time with a loan?
I did look into that, but to get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck plus a truck camper.....its a bit out of my range on what I can afford. Plus that seems even more long term, and not sure I want to live on the road for many more years.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Consider used fleet F350's. Gas only. Should be cheaper than civvy trucks and 150's by a pretty wide margin.

Even without a camper, that front dana60 is priceless.

mikeD1Esel

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Oahu, Hawaii
First Name
Michael
Last Name
DeSerio
I've owned nothing but Toyotas, and I'll say this....at the end of the day its about how comfortable you are in the driver's seat and does the vehicle accomplish what you need it to. If the Tundra is comfortable and has everything you "want" then buy it, if it's the F150 then I would get it. Toyotas have more options in the overland community in terms of mods/support, but that is only one factor of your decision making.