louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
if i lived in colorado....i'd get a vehicle that can do double duty....

1610153363389.png

• Haha
Reactions: thalooch

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

I'll do it the easy way, but more are found in the windshield pics section between pages 17-20 area, adding just a few to show the mostly desert and mountains I frequent in eastern Washington and Oregon. I often travel as a solo vehicle on these runs seen in pics (except the dunes, play day with a few other members from here locally). Been stuck twice, both high centered, sand and snow, luckily others came and helped but a shovel and time would have got it done too. Both times were me going beyond the boundaries of a twelve foot wheelbase, I forget I am not a little wrangler sometimes :)
1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

And while Ram's have a very decent turning radius for what they are, one of the best in class for their size, I won't be found on Black Bear Pass in her.

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
I'll do it the easy way, but more are found in the windshield pics section between pages 17-20 area, adding just a few to show the mostly desert and mountains I frequent in eastern Washington and Oregon. I often travel as a solo vehicle on these runs seen in pics (except the dunes, play day with a few other members from here locally). Been stuck twice, both high centered, sand and snow, luckily others came and helped but a shovel and time would have got it done too. Both times were me going beyond the boundaries of a twelve foot wheelbase, I forget I am not a little wrangler sometimes :)
View attachment 182869View attachment 182870View attachment 182871View attachment 182872View attachment 182873View attachment 182874View attachment 182875View attachment 182876
thanks. I still can't seem to find this "section". I must be looking in the wrong place. I am searching the forums and inside the photography forum.....

I have a ton of what I will call sunroof pics from my travels in my Pilot last year. Sometimes I would be lazy....or genius, depending on your perspective, and I would scooch my butt up on the center console and poke my torso out of the sunroof to take pics without having to get out of the vehicle. Of course many of these pics I can't even tell if I'm in the vehicle or not. Here's a few sunroof pics....I think.

Attachments

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
View attachment 182869View attachment 182870View attachment 182871View attachment 182872View attachment 182873View attachment 182874View attachment 182875View attachment 182876
nvm, I found it. You gotta understand I'm a noob to this forum. But I will always put my homework in and try to figure it out on my own.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Everybody is a noob at some point, what separates you from some is you want to learn.

and I love the frying pan quote, having both been through there and lived in Tulsa for a while, know the weather well. Still better than a Fargo winter though :)

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
Everybody is a noob at some point, what separates you from some is you want to learn.

and I love the frying pan quote, having both been through there and lived in Tulsa for a while, know the weather well. Still better than a Fargo winter though :)
not my quote but its hilarious. To some degree we are all just frogs in the frying pan :-)

Oh my buddy is giving me shit about my research today. I have spent hours making spreadsheets comparing lots of key specs on all different vehicles, makes, models and years. Heck I have even done this for buying backpacking tents.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

not my quote but its hilarious. To some degree we are all just frogs in the frying pan :-)

Oh my buddy is giving me shit about my research today. I have spent hours making spreadsheets comparing lots of key specs on all different vehicles, makes, models and years. Heck I have even done this for buying backpacking tents.
I do that too, but then I do that for work too

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
I didn't know you could get a loan while living out of a vehicle traveling around without a job.

Dave Ramsey would be against it, though.....
I have extremely good credit. Ive put a lot of years in working on my credit. The bank isn't interested in that Im traveling around. They are simply interested in what is my credit score, what loans I currently have are now....etc...

I have no other loans and I pay all my bills in full on time. Have done so for years. I will continue to do so. When I need to work I will do so. Not that I owe anyone an explanation.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Hey, nowadays there are bloggers/vloggers making a pretty good living on the road. I am not about to judge how any of us make a living, I am a bit jealous that you get that much time on the trail, but that is only by my own choice. We should embrace that all of us enjoy the same freedoms to travel when we can, where we can. It is what makes us overlanders in the first place. We are all different but share a common interest and love of the world around us.

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
Yeah if I could figure out how to make money off this I would be down. Im in a transitional period. I needed this time off. I was in a dead end job going nowhere. For some of those years I wasnt even alive. Fwiw I have spent some of my time off last year helping others, family, volunteering. I spent a lot of time picking up trash at all my campsites. Its something I will continue to do when I get back out

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

All good things, especially in a year as strange as last year. Stay safe and live your life. Thanks for trail cleaning, I do the same and have instilled it in my family, just wish it wasn't necessary, but some people can't appreciate "leave it better than you found it" yet.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Hey, nowadays there are bloggers/vloggers making a pretty good living on the road. I am not about to judge how any of us make a living, I am a bit jealous that you get that much time on the trail, but that is only by my own choice. We should embrace that all of us enjoy the same freedoms to travel when we can, where we can. It is what makes us overlanders in the first place. We are all different but share a common interest and love of the world around us.
I can guarantee that for every person who is successful vlogging there are hundreds who are not. The people who are truly successful either have a huge support network or they're in mobile industries - particular digital design and software or web development. Even those people know to be successful are frequently working extra jobs to make it work - it's just not well advertised because it draws away from the allure of the lifestyle.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

I can guarantee that for every person who is successful vlogging there are hundreds who are not. The people who are truly successful either have a huge support network or they're in mobile industries - particular digital design and software or web development. Even those people know to be successful are frequently working extra jobs to make it work - it's just not well advertised because it draws away from the allure of the lifestyle.
I would agree with you LostWoods, and I am not saying that anyone has to do it, but criticizing how people make money or or their credit is not something any of us should do. None of us really need to know each others credit history or income. It does not change that we all are here for our love of overlanding. As far as the success rate of bloggers/vloggers, you may actually be low on the number for success, but it is no different than any other entrepreneurial endeavor, success is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration. Hard work and a bit of luck is critical to being successful in any business you own/run, regardless of type.

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
Ya so this thread turned lol~~

I agree with the guys recommending the Ram. Obviously I drive one and have owned a few. Ample power, enough creature comforts, limited aftermarket support but I have 400hp, 3.92 gears and can fit 35" tires with a leveling kit so not a ton of stuff needed unless I plan to do some rock crawling (which may happen in the future)

I was in a similar boat for a while, debating trading the truck in for a Tundra or Taco due to aftermarket support but turns out I don't need 5.88 gears or crazy armor for what I have been doing so it works well for me. Next "rig" will probably be something straight axle anyways.

As far as Tundra vs Ford, both are know to be reliable but you never hear of Dodge in the reliability argument.... could it be because dodge is so reliable? I have owned a 2010~ Rav 4 and now my wife drives a 2020 Rav 4 and I have been disappointed in the infotainment and creature comforts.

I'd recommend taking them for a test drive to see which fits you best. Everyone has their own opinions and you're going to get the all of them.

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
All this Tundra vs Ram vs F-150 talk, and somehow I glossed over the Nissan Titan.

It seems to be on par with the Tundra but I can get one for quite a bit less than a Tundra and if I get a Pro-4X it comes with a rear locking differential.

I'm strongly considering the Titan now.