Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I want to love the site/service and I’m a paying member but I cannot use the site for more than a couple of clicks before I get timed out.

I posted a lot on one thread over a few weeks last year by trying repeatedly to upload pictures on the build thread. It was the most difficult process I’ve had in a long time.

I’d be happy to think it was my fault but I literally have no problem with any other forum based site that I interact with.

I develop software (video games) for a living so I’m not a total tech novice.

I don’t mean to rant but I find it virtually impossible to benefit from what appears to be a cool site with awesome community services... because the site just doesn’t seem to work for me much of the time.

I try it at home and at work on a variety of computers (and my phone) and always get the same issue. The phone works a bit better.

All the best,

Michael Fletcher
I've been here for one year and not had any problems what so ever. Sometimes I'm on line for hours at a time. There are certain pictures I can't open on my Kendal but when I go to my pc they open fine. I use Windows 8 updated and Windows live for e-mail.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I reviewed that thread closely. It is picture heavy, but nothing that should not be doable. I also had no problem. Clearly there is a problem, but for me it was lightning fast. I do have really fast internet and a decent machine. Our site will have occasional slow downs just like any other, and we can't control any links to other sites...but it should not be different than any social network that has occasion slow downs. The original message indicated our service is worse than others of like kind. That indicates a problem.

Can I get some specs @Fletcher8969 ? I realize at some point its not worth it to you, but appreciate any details you can provide.

For comparison, currently I am running:

Code:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: 3801 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32706MB RAM
Page File: 25195MB used, 12374MB available
Chrome Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Internet Speed is 450Mbps

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
At home:

IOS Mojave version 10.14.6
iMac (Regina 5k, 27-inch, 2017)
processor 3.8 GHz Intel core i5
8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
internet download speed 335Mbps (download)

Work:

Windows 10 Enterprise (64 bit)
i7 5820k CPU @ 3.3GHz
64 GB RAM
Chrome Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Internet speed 950Mbps (download) 950Mbps (upload)

One of the strange elements to this is I get the same behavior at home and at the office.

BTW, thanks! This is more hassle for you than it’s worth I’m sure. But I do love this community and want to get more into it. Much appreciated!

Whatever is up with this thread for me isn’t a huge deal I guess. I can certainly still use the rest of the site without issue most of the time.

Last edited:

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
@Michael

So... I've spent a bunch of time on the website in the past couple of days (home sick with the flu) and I haven't really had any problems... at all... with any other threads. I've posted a couple of new ones with a few pictures and made a few comments on other threads without any time outs or other issues at all.

The original problematic thread seems to work better now (i'm guess you didn't actually do anything) if I go into the thread from one of the comment links that show up in my alerts. If I go to the thread by going to the forums step by step I still get a time out. It will load the first page of the thread and then not load additional pages, either by hitting the Next button or clicking on the page 2,3 or 4 button.

So... thanks for taking a look at it but I'm just going to avoid that step and not worry about it. Since all the other functionality is working well this won't slow me down going forward. Thanks for your time and attention!

Last edited by a moderator:

EricGagne

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lachine, Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

There is something wrong with the thread, maybe with one or more pictures.

I was able to view page 1, all pictures showed up.
Then when I tried to get to page 2 it timed out.
I decided to try on my Linux desktop. I was going to try from the browser first and then copy the URL to the clipboard and try it at a command shell with wget but I got nowhere.

In the browser on the Linux PC, I could not get to the web site, it just kept waiting and waiting and waiting.....................until it finally showed me the first page.......but..... when I tried go login, I got this.

Capture du 2020-02-06 17-47-08.png

Something in the thread triggers an IP block on the server.

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU

I decided to try on my Linux desktop. I was going to try from the browser first and then copy the URL to the clipboard and try it at a command shell with wget but I got nowhere.

In the browser on the Linux PC, I could not get to the web site, it just kept waiting and waiting and waiting.....................until it finally showed me the first page.......but..... when I tried go login, I got this.

Maybe I should delete something from the first page. I'm just not sure what it is.

EricGagne

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lachine, Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

Maybe I should delete something from the first page. I'm just not sure what it is.
I would wait until the pros at OB check this out, could be a server misconfiguration

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Michael

The original problematic thread seems to work better now (i'm guess you didn't actually do anything) if I go into the thread from one of the comment links that show up in my alerts. If I go to the thread by going to the forums step by step I still get a time out. It will load the first page of the thread and then not load additional pages, either by hitting the Next button or clicking on the page 2,3 or 4 button.

I found the same thing:

- If going to the thread from your link earlier in this thread, all four pages and all images loaded fine and in decent time. No problems.

..... So I closed out my browser (Firefox 72.0.2 on Macbook 10.13.6), emptied history, cache, and cookies to try:
- Going to the front page of the forums, then to Overland Rigs / Overland Vehicle Build Threads / then your thread on pg 5.

It slowed terribly on the first page. Was fine until post 6 specifically, images on which never did finish loading. Post 7 was trying to load at the same time and never finished loading it’s images, leaving half or more just white.
I right clicked a link on that page to see if another OB page (not of your thread) would load, and it was stuck too. Page one of your thread eventually timed out with a notice.

No other OB pages would work at that point. The whole site was stuck, which hadn’t happened in ages. All other websites and tabs were fine.
I had to close out the browser again—all pages, not just OB—to get OB to work again.

Then, while writing this post, tried to load that page again and was locked out again, then from logging in at all with the Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall page.
Had to use a different ISP on my phone to log in and write this.

So yeah, something is definitely wrong with that thread, that if gone to the wrong way then locks it up, and for me, locked up all of OB.

I have screen grabs of the half loaded pages and the Sucuri Firewall page if needed. Though they’re on my laptop, from which I can’t login for the time being.

Last edited:

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU

I found the same thing:

- If going to the thread from your link earlier in this thread, all four pages and all images loaded fine and in decent time. No problems.

..... So I closed out my browser (Firefox 72.0.2 on Macbook 10.13.6), emptied history, cache, and cookies to try:
- Going to the front page of the forums, then to Overland Rigs / Overland Vehicle Build Threads / then your thread on pg 5.
Thanks for taking the time to check and report all that detail. That’s the kind of behavior I was getting so I’ve avoided that thread for a while, which is a bummer because I’m finally at the point where the truck is rebuilt and we’ll start building the overland stuff. I’ll just start a different thread I think and hopefully avoid the issues that have somehow effected this one for some people.

I’m glad it works ok for other I suppose.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks for taking the time to check and report all that detail. That’s the kind of behavior I was getting so I’ve avoided that thread for a while, which is a bummer because I’m finally at the point where the truck is rebuilt and we’ll start building the overland stuff. I’ll just start a different thread I think and hopefully avoid the issues that have somehow effected this one for some people.

I’m glad it works ok for other I suppose.

Sure thing,

Odd that it seems to only happen when stepping down through the forum levels to the thread, but does not happen with a direct link to the first page of the thread.

Hope it gets sorted out. It's a fascinating and worthwhile thread.

Reactions: Fletcher8969