Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Like Scott my truck is LSD and open front. I've never thought to myself, "man I wish I had a front locker". I could have used the winch twice before I went out and got one.

Reactions: Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Glenn you'd better not follow.me if.youve never used your winch with lockers.
LMAO! There are dirt roads and there are trails and obstacles. If you never needed lockers or have never felt you needed them, then chances are you never hit much more than an aggressive dirt road. I would wheel with ya man, and I have a winch just in case. :wink:

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

This is an overlanding forum not an extreme rock crawling forum. Most people here don't need lockers. Everything I own gets a winch and lockers, regardless.

I need both on the trails I typically ride. But a winch is a far more useful tool to the average over lander.

You put lockers in you push farther, then you wish you had a winch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'll chime in again, as the OP did ask about FRONT lockers... I'd get a rear locker, then get a winch. Rear Lockers don't just keep you from getting stuck they keep you from beating on your rig. The locker allows you to finesse your rig up and over, or down and through, off camber obstacles without having to power through them. I simply wouldn't waste any money installing an aftermarket locker in the front axle.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

This is an overlanding forum not an extreme rock crawling forum. Most people here don't need lockers. Everything I own gets a winch and lockers, regardless.

I need both on the trails I typically ride. But a winch is a far more useful tool to the average over lander.

You put lockers in you push farther, then you wish you had a winch.
Extreme Rock Crawling? Hardly, never mentioned it and never meant it.
The reason I say lockers over a winch is because your average overlanding rig is very heavy with gear and in many cases a "higher" balanced weight. And then even more difficult in my opinion, is pulling a trailer that is heavy and dead weight. The worst thing you can do to your rig is create wheel hop because you have to jump on the gas to get through or over an obstacle. Logs, mud or just a steep loose grade. With lockers you can control your rig so much more, putting less stress on you AND your rig and in most cases you can just idle your way through the terrain.

You can go on youtube and watch videos all day long of open axle rigs and locked axle rigs riding in the same group. "Overlanders" as well as just the weekend enthusiasts. You tell me which vehicles are safer and then which are the ones getting their gear thrown about and brains scrambled on what should be a simple passage.

Being locked is just a safer more controlled ride, especially if you enjoy the roads less traveled and hate getting out to winch :wink:

Reactions: Winterpeg