Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I bought mine right away. I only used it once or twice without the cover. I believe it helps some. It seemed to cycle on less but there are many variables to account for such as temp of the day, whether parked in shade or not etc so it is hard to tell. I like it for the added protection it gives.
Appreciate the feedback!

Reactions: Brewbud

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I got a fridge! I ended up with a 48 quart Alpicool that will go down to -4°F and has Bluetooth connectivity to my phone. I got it Thursday of last week and had it in my truck for a day run through Talladega National Forrest and it worked AWESOME. It's currently behind my desk at work as a personal fridge for my lunch and such. The best part though is I think I won a solar generator (1800 watt battery/invertor and four solar panels) AND another portable fridge/freezer!!!! Just waiting for the 17th to find out for sure!
2021-05-07 20.15.29.jpg

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I pulled the trigger on an Alpicool 45 in February. If works great. I ended finding a thermal blanket for it as well (Look past the overland Hound).
D48D1074-A43A-4830-98BC-6ECE94894E4F.jpeg8319C077-2903-4546-AD79-EED73A135217.jpeg

Reactions: GLOCKer

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

For those of you with the ARB Classic fridges. If given the choice to or not to buy the outer cover again. What would be your choice? I'm debating on one but not sure if it's worth it or not. Does it provide that much more insulation?
If you get out a lot regularly into a variety of environments, the travel cover is absolutely worth it, in my opinion, for a couple of reasons.

When I bought my ARB 50 almost four years ago, I asked the vendor if the cover was worth it. He kind of shrugged and said "Eh...I guess."

I got the cover and put it on within the first couple days of owning the fridge. It's been on all this time until just last week; almost four years. I was re-organizing the van interior and did a major cleaning, including removing the fridge. I wanted to wash the inside with a bleach solution then rinse it with a hose, so took off the cover. My fridge looked brand new; all plastic clean and free of abrasion from other gear knocking around or from daily use.

When parked with the fridge exposed to direct sun on warm days--which I try to avoid but is inevitable at times--the insulating travel cover most definitely helps moderate temp swings. If it's the same cover I got four years ago, it's rugged, has a good exterior pocket to hold the AC cord, manual, or whatever, and is lined with reflective material.

Just the fact that it provides a thermal layer and air space will help keep your fridge cooler, cycling less, and from swinging towards ambient temps as quickly.

If I was keeping my ARB fridge in a workshop or home most of the time when not adventuring, and only going out the occasional weekend or vacation, I might not be as concerned about having a cover. My fridge lives in my van full-time, though, and I'm always throwing lumber or my bike or other gear in there; or working somewhere with both rear doors open and the fridge exposed to the weather. So, for me, it is absolutely worth having.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The question of the right size for a fridge on board can only be answered by each individual. The answer to this question depends, among other things, on personal preferences and requirements, the available space in the rig and also the destination of the overlanding trip.

Available space? What is your power supply like? Do you like chilled drinks? Do you have food that needs to be refrigerated for several days? Do you also need to carry medicines in the fridge? For us, for example, with two people, a comparable small compressor box is enough, no matter how long the trip is. The important thing for us is that large water bottles fit in upright, the box doesn't take up too much space, and it fits in well with the interior design of the rig.

The individual requirements regarding the fridge are as varied as our rigs themselves. This makes the overlanding scene so interesting. By the way, this is our ENGEL MT-27F. It has a capacity of 21 liters/ 22 quarts.

El-Dracho_ENEGL_OB.jpg

Last edited:

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
If you get out a lot regularly into a variety of environments, the travel cover is absolutely worth it, in my opinion, for a couple of reasons.

When I bought my ARB 50 almost four years ago, I asked the vendor if the cover was worth it. He kind of shrugged and said "Eh...I guess."

I got the cover and put it on within the first couple days of owning the fridge. It's been on all this time until just last week; almost four years. I was re-organizing the van interior and did a major cleaning, including removing the fridge. I wanted to wash the inside with a bleach solution then rinse it with a hose, so took off the cover. My fridge looked brand new; all plastic clean and free of abrasion from other gear knocking around or from daily use.

When parked with the fridge exposed to direct sun on warm days--which I try to avoid but is inevitable at times--the insulating travel cover most definitely helps moderate temp swings. If it's the same cover I got four years ago, it's rugged, has a good exterior pocket to hold the AC cord, manual, or whatever, and is lined with reflective material.

Just the fact that it provides a thermal layer and air space will help keep your fridge cooler, cycling less, and from swinging towards ambient temps as quickly.

If I was keeping my ARB fridge in a workshop or home most of the time when not adventuring, and only going out the occasional weekend or vacation, I might not be as concerned about having a cover. My fridge lives in my van full-time, though, and I'm always throwing lumber or my bike or other gear in there; or working somewhere with both rear doors open and the fridge exposed to the weather. So, for me, it is absolutely worth having.
I appreciate the in-depth feedback. Okay yeah this makes me think it's a worthy investment for me then. Thank you!

Reactions: Road

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Dometic CFX-75 powered by solar...Alu-Cab slide mounted on Decked system. Have a write up on how I mounted. Will not go back to ice cooler...so 1800's :tonguewink:
64056306402__9FF676ED-445C-4FEB-83A7-7DAE5AA5E108.jpeg

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
How do you like it so far, am about to get the VL60 or the VL65.
It's been great! Only had a chance to use it a couple of times, will be using it again this weekend but the big trip isn't until July. I'm not sure if I went too big or not, it's physically smaller than the ice chest we used last year but still large. If you have the room for it then go for it, if you plan on stocking up on food every 2-4 days then it's probably overkill but I like the dual zones and, really, being able to have ice cream while off the grid was a driving factor in my decision. haha

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Running the dometic 75l dual lid for when I take the family away, otherwise I swap it out for the ARB Elements 55l when it’s just me and the missus. Both are fantastic fridges and use the same slide. To fit the dometic under the roller shutter, I sank the fridge slide into the tub liner, sealed it and good to go. It fits with about 1mm, whereas the ARB has roughly 2” of clearance under the shutter. Happy with both setups for their purpose.

Attachments

Reactions: Steve_ohhhhh

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
Nothing says beach camping like some ice pops out of our Dometic CFX75DZW. We set the smaller side to -8 and the larger one to 36 for food and beverages.

Attachments

Burly

Rank VIII

Protector III

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy
This is an EDHBAY (Amazon special) drawer fridge… not very big, but I can’t have it very big just because it’s a TJ

Attachments

Reactions: barnstormers