GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I'm projecting out down the road to eventually having a portable fridge/freezer for my truck. I'll be limited by size in that I will be strapping it into the back seat of my four door Ranger. I'm currently considering a Costway 55 qt unit. It would be helpful to see what you guys are rocking because without photos, it's hard to get a sense of the scale of various portable refrigerators on the market. I have the measurements of the unit I'm looking at, but it doesn't help me "see it". Thank you!!!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

And any effort to provide footprint dimensions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm in a similar place to the OP, I replaced the rear seat in the Gladiator with a plate system and would like a refrigerator back there hopefully on a slide if I can overcome the shape of the door opening

Reactions: GLOCKer

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

This is my Iceco VL35-52. It expands from a 35qt to 52qt by changing the lid configuration. It goes up not out. Bought it this fall and have not had a chance to use it yet. But I’m excited about the options for a weekend cooler to a week long fridge

Attachments

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I'm projecting out down the road to eventually having a portable fridge/freezer for my truck. I'll be limited by size in that I will be strapping it into the back seat of my four door Ranger. I'm currently considering a Costway 55 qt unit. It would be helpful to see what you guys are rocking because without photos, it's hard to get a sense of the scale of various portable refrigerators on the market. I have the measurements of the unit I'm looking at, but it doesn't help me "see it". Thank you!!!
I can't really help ya with a pic as I'm still in the cooler crowd. For checking fit I recommend getting some cardboard and mocking up a box to the size of any fridge you are planning on getting. This way you can make sure it fits in and out (IE door handle, map pocket, etc does not get in the way going in and out). You can even add some wire to show vent clearance dimensions and make a lid with Duct tape hinge to check that it can be opened in place once mounted.

Only takes 20-30 mins and a utility knife and saves a lot of hassle with getting something too big for where it'll ride.

Boort

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Small jeep, small fridge. This is my Dometic CDF-11. I mostly use it for drinks. It plugs in behind the side panel and is powered by an S-POD.
1606859405905.png

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I went with the Alpicool K18. When we hit the road we take mostly shelf stable food so we don't really need to keep a lot of stuff cold. I got the smaller 19quart size because it takes less power to keep that size cold. The fact that it's a lot cheaper than the larger sizes was also a bonus. Yes, we have to rotate drinks in it but that's a simple matter of "take one out, put one back in" discipline. For steaks, veggies, cheeses, and assorted condiments it's perfect.

The footprint of the K18 is definitely small enough that it would fit in a seat and we really like the fact that it is linked via bluetooth to our phones/tablet so we can check it without having to stop and open the hatch.

Attachments

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
I put a CFX3 75dz in my back seat. It fits, but takes up too much room and negates me being able to get at the stuff stored behind the seat. I'm toying with the idea of taking the seat out, but I think I'll put that off until I get my GoFastCamper next year.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I took one of the rear seats out of my Hummer and my ARB now sits on the floor. Its so low that I don't need to slide it out to access it easily. Maybe something to consider if your seats are easily removable.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I took one of the rear seats out of my Hummer and my ARB now sits on the floor. Its so low that I don't need to slide it out to access it easily. Maybe something to consider if your seats are easily removable.
That's what I do in my XJ if it's just me or just me and the kids since they ride in back. I yank the passenger seat. It's a maybe 5 minute job. Cooler sits there along with a go bag infront of it. Works great and I never even pull the cooler out at camp it's the perfect height for getting into it.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I modified my mount that was in my 2007 Ram for my 2020 Ram. The rear door is wider and it works better. Since the platform is on the load flat floor I don't really need to slide it out to access the items inside. It does make it easier to install/remove the fridge in the truck.

Fridge in truck1 sm.jpg fridge in truck 2 sm.jpg