Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
The net operates on Echolink, which can just be set up on a computer with sound and a microphone, or alternatively on a smartphone or tablet. So you don't even need your handheld.
You need to register.
echolink.org or secure.echolink.org

Another method is to connect to White Mountain Repeater Association (Starlink) repeaters which are all over the US

I believe you can also get into the system using a hotspot (I'm not really up to speed with that)
I don't have a mic on my computer, and I would like to be able to use my handheld if possible. If nothing else, then to become more familiar with it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don't have a mic on my computer, and I would like to be able to use my handheld if possible. If nothing else, then to become more familiar with it.
You can’t use your UV5R to talk into the net… to use an HT, you need a DMR/YSF capable radio and a hot spot… UNLESS you have a local Echolink node on a repeater and the owner of the repeater WILL allow you to link the node to White Mountain Repeater Assocaition.

I have a local Echolink node, but the repeater owner doesn’t allow nets on his repeater, so linking into the net is not allowed for me… So I have an Anytone 878 and an openspot hot spot. Although it’s just easier to use Echolink app on my iPhone to get into the net.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
This week's net was run by myself Randall VK7VWK from Tasmania Australia
KE6GVK - Mike AZ, The Starlink node's operator.
W6AAX - Al CA
KF0AJN - Rob CO
W2GGI - Bob FL
KL2GS - Mac AK
NB9D - Neil NH

Discussed:
W6AAX - Converting gasoline generator to natural gas
KF0AJN - Further discussion on generator conversion, Fires in CO. Ferry's to Alaska (in response to my conversation about upcoming ferry trip to mainland Australia)
W2GGI - Connected via a network of 4 DMR repeaters in FL.
KL2GS - From a small community of about 75, near Central. -37F cold weather
NB9D - VERO 7500 Android and Chinese radio project.

About these nets:
WMRA wants to take back the last Friday of each month to run the tech roundtable instead of the OB net. If you have any thoughts on that, please make contact here or message me (rtexpeditions) directly.
We are also looking for input regarding the time/frequency of these nets.
We are always looking for new net controllers volunteers. I can't do them every week, in my timezone, they occur when I should be out doing the actual Overlanding.

Randall

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Hello Eric,
There are a number of repeaters that connect to the net.
Please go to White Mountain Repeater Association and select "connections". The repeaters are listed towards the bottom of the page (scroll down).

The net probably won't run this week (Feb - 4), unless someone takes over network controller duties. I'm going cycling.

I'm going to try and run the net from an interesting location the following week, February 11. I may have some connection issues so be patient and chat amongst yourselves.

Reactions: 12poundtest

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
They have one for android as well as a program for PC that does the same thing.

mefizto

Rank I

Contributor III

U.S.A.
First Name
Pavel
Last Name
Kall
Greetings all,

I read through the thread, and since a DMR TG is listed, it appears that one could use DMR radio to join the net. However, unless I missed a specific reply in this long thread, it is not clear what needs to be set up on either the radio or a repeater. I have an access to a private repeater, whose owner would not mind me to use it. So any instructions would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

M

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
G'Day,

The Friday night net can no longer run on the *STARLINK* Echolink Server and there will be no net tonight (April-8)
I'll be hanging out tonight on the old *USA-GNG* server if anybody would like to contact me with feedback on what happens next.

Reactions: 12poundtest

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
G'Day,

The Friday night net can no longer run on the *STARLINK* Echolink Server and there will be no net tonight (April-8)
I'll be hanging out tonight on the old *USA-GNG* server if anybody would like to contact me with feedback on what happens next.
Good Net tonight… thanks everyone for showing up.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I would also like to participate but I'm not an Echolink user. I can come in via either DMR or YSF from a hotspot (would prefer YSF) but so far I've had no luck in finding a way to do this. On the road, I'm usually just sitting on America Link.

Since so many hams now have a hotspot that they can tether to while on the road, I'd love to see a dedicated overlanding talkgroup on either network that's always available. I'd monitor that all the time!

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I would also like to participate but I'm not an Echolink user. I can come in via either DMR or YSF from a hotspot (would prefer YSF) but so far I've had no luck in finding a way to do this. On the road, I'm usually just sitting on America Link.

Since so many hams now have a hotspot that they can tether to while on the road, I'd love to see a dedicated overlanding talkgroup on either network that's always available. I'd monitor that all the time!
Also not an Echolink user. Have DMR and D-Star available. I was only able to connect by DMR once a few years ago, but have much better stability now and a dedicated DMR Hotspot.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Hello Everyone,

I'll be on the *USA-GNG* Echolink server from 20:30 Eastern time, and 17:30 Pacific time.
The net will happen, providing there is at least 1 other participant.
Please join us.

The topic can be anything related to Overlanding and HAM radio, or just check-in for a chat.

Reactions: er waddell

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Hello Overlanders,

After a weekend away I will be back to run the net this week on the *USA-GNG* Echolink server from 20:30 Eastern time, and 17:30 Pacific time.

Please join us.

The topic can be anything related to Overlanding and HAM radio, or just check-in for a chat.

Reactions: er waddell

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Is there still a Friday night HAM Net? Thank you!
Currently, there is no net.

The *STARLINK* Echolink server has been removed. We moved back to the old *USA-GNG* but that is currently not working either.

I'm open to ideas on how we might get this net back on the air.

The other problem we had is getting network controllers for the net. It started reverting to me running the net. As I am in Australia, the net starts at 10:30 or 12:30 on a Saturday (depending on the time of year), which is not always convenient, especially if I'm out Overlanding, but also if we eat lunch as a family.
I'm prepared to be one of the net controllers but it is not possible for me to do it every week.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Currently, there is no net.

The *STARLINK* Echolink server has been removed. We moved back to the old *USA-GNG* but that is currently not working either.

I'm open to ideas on how we might get this net back on the air.

The other problem we had is getting network controllers for the net. It started reverting to me running the net. As I am in Australia, the net starts at 10:30 or 12:30 on a Saturday (depending on the time of year), which is not always convenient, especially if I'm out Overlanding, but also if we eat lunch as a family.
I'm prepared to be one of the net controllers but it is not possible for me to do it every week.
What is needed to have a dedicated Overland Bound echolink? Perhaps some of us could throw in some bucks for this?