First Name
Steve
Last Name
Huff
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8JLV
Currently, there is no net.

The *STARLINK* Echolink server has been removed. We moved back to the old *USA-GNG* but that is currently not working either.

I'm open to ideas on how we might get this net back on the air.

The other problem we had is getting network controllers for the net. It started reverting to me running the net. As I am in Australia, the net starts at 10:30 or 12:30 on a Saturday (depending on the time of year), which is not always convenient, especially if I'm out Overlanding, but also if we eat lunch as a family.
I'm prepared to be one of the net controllers but it is not possible for me to do it every week.
Thank you for the current status update. It makes total sense and I see the need for multiple net controllers. Thank you for your effort in trying to keep the net going!

Reactions: CMac

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
This is a great idea! Any idea what it would take to make this happen?
I have no idea at all and do not really have the time to learn & find out. But someone here definitely knows what we'd need to do! I access to a property with a 50' Ham tower that we could potentially set up as part of our net... Actually... now that I think of it, I have a friend I will just ask!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We just need a dedicated server running EchoLink connected to the internet… the server doesn’t even have to be able to connect to a radio.

Reactions: rtexpeditions

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
We just need a dedicated server running EchoLink connected to the internet… the server doesn’t even have to be able to connect to a radio.
Does all audio run through that server or just initial “connection” info? Wondering about throughput needs for such a server.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Well if that’s the case, perhaps I can just get a Raspberry Pi and leave it at that…

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Good News (maybe)
*USA-GNG* is back up.

I'm not available to run the net on July 22 or July 29, but if you want to start it up again please go ahead.
I'm happy to send you the net control script if required.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
No, it’s not still active. We didn’t have enough interest for net control or participation.

UpDown

Rank I

Contributor III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Topher
Last Name
Zen
We could just have a Net via Pi-Star? Anyone else here running a Pi-Star? Pretty easy and cheap. It does the digital modes (YSF, DMR, D-Star, ...) and also can connects them together.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
There is a DMR talkgroup called Venture Overland; Brandmeister TG 31655. Some good folks on there and it's run by AA1PR. They have a net at 0200z on Sundays. I'd suggest asking if Overland Bound could have a separate net on there, or perhaps even we could use this TG on our various adventures. I personally think it would be a great on-air meeting spot for fellow overlanders. DMR radios are cheap and very popular now, and hotspots as well as local DMR repeaters are quite common too.

DMR 31655 / ALLSTAR BRIDGE 54897 / P25 TG 31655 / WIRES-X 46720 / XLX303 H

W

with_tyler

We could just have a Net via Pi-Star? Anyone else here running a Pi-Star? Pretty easy and cheap. It does the digital modes (YSF, DMR, D-Star, ...) and also can connects them together.
I have my Pi-Star up and running.

Reactions: Wotan

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I have quite a few setup. I am PNW Digitals network and BM for DMR. Did you have a TG in mind.
Any chance Overland Bound could get their own dedicated TG? I don't know what the procedure is, but as I said above, having one dedicated place for traveling overlanders would be a great thing IMHO.

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
I have quite a few setup. I am PNW Digitals network and BM for DMR. Did you have a TG in mind.
Not really anything specific. I have been trying to check into the Outdoor 4x4 Net on Saturday at 1430CST TG31772, but have not been successful to date. I have been on GNG (Grits n Gravy) a couple of times, but mostly check into the WW (91) net on Saturdays and Techtalk on Tuesday nights,
ECR ACCESS:

IRLP Reflector - 9050

Allstar Bridges - 27339, 45192, 45225
Please choose one at random to help with load balancing.

Yaesu System Fusion Reflectors - 92805 and 44444

DMR Bridge - Brandmeister TG 3129973 / TGIF TG 9050

D-STAR - XLX237

EchoLink - ECR9050 (conference 927382), WB2JPQ-R (57780) and WB2JPQ-L (375103)

Hamshack Hotline - 94049

P25 - 31582 ---New!!

M17 - M17-ECR Module A ---New!!

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
You are welcome to restart the net on the original *USA-GNG* EchoLink server, they would be pleased to have us back.

I would also be also happy to run some of the Echolink nets, more so after the US changes to daylight savings as it puts the net, in my timezone (UTC+10), into Saturday afternoon instead of my Saturday morning a busy time with family activities.
I am not able to run it every week because I am spending more time in the outdoors than ever. Apart from being out of range a lot of the time I also have responsibilities (leading youth) during those days and cannot give the net my exclusive attention, although I would try and check in from some remote locations if I was able.

If you have questions, just ask.

Reactions: El-Dracho

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Any chance Overland Bound could get their own dedicated TG? I don't know what the procedure is, but as I said above, having one dedicated place for traveling overlanders would be a great thing IMHO.
Yes we could. I’ll look into seeing what this would take.

Reactions: Boort