Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
What a great net we had, thank you everyone who could join us. Tonight's topic turned out to be 'Storage Solutions' for our rigs. Be sure to check out the links and comments in the notes below.
73! - Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncementsMike. Michael and Corey and Kent (head director) heading out on continental divide Monday morning. Can follow along.
NCS:N7PHY23 Jul 2021
Topic:
Open
Check InNameLocationI/ONotes
KE6GVKMikeAZxEarly check-in. Thunderstorms in area.
KJ6DHGRenayCARaging fires out west. Shake and Bake state. Dealing with DMV process also. Software update required for CA emissions. Was looking at tool bag solution for carrying and sorting things. Looking at tool rolls as well.
KE7MUBRADAZSpeaking of tools. Different sizes of ammo cans (3). Use smallest for tools and store under seat. Found ammo cans on Amazon which included smaller one inside. For those who like to hike, check porta-wipe compressed towels. Tiny thing that expands to towel when water is added. Non evaporated homemade cooler: small cooler, transmission radiator, pump in cooler with water and ice, then fan to blow air through radiator. Homemade AC. Lots of examples on youtube.
KJ7MFVMIKEORStorage solutions: fan of Milwaukee pack-out solution. Removable dividers make it possible to store stove. Rollup tool bags fit well in the Milwaukee boxes. Recommend pull out drawers for Randall's vehicle. Also likes the camping kitchen box. Now that he has roof rack, don't know how lived without. Also looking for gas bottle storage. Need for ferry travel, thinking roof rack.
VK7VWKRANDALLHOBART TASMANIAWeather good down in Tasmania. Looking at storage solution as well for back of vehicle. Been looking for boxes of the proper size to fit perfectly. Looking to build something out of wood perhaps. Challenge installing propane tank, looking at roof rack.
KF0AJNROBCOStorage: take a look at campingkitchenbox.com Builds an old school kitchen box, plans if you want to DIY. Working with chloroplast, tools and templates. Commercial propane bottle roof rack holder by Front Runner. Gas/Propane Bottle Holder - by Front Runner Have an old Air Force tool kit. Tool bag about 13" x 7" canvas, can buy for $17 on amazon. Rothco tool bag. Amazon.com : rothco tool bag
KJ7OKEDONAZX
NB9DNEILNHBuckets,
KM4PJNJimmieVAFor Randall. Talking about propane tank and where to mount. There was a food trailer in front of me with 2 big tanks in diamond plate case on rear of trailer. Perhaps build small infrastructure on rack and have piping run down to stove, leaving bottle on top.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
DN08ov_N7PHY_pic1.jpg
As promised, here's a picture from last weekend. I setup at an old, cold-war era radar site that has been long abandoned. Great location for a VHF contest.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone,
Time again for our Friday OB net on Echolink.
I'll be your net control this evening. No set topic tonight but please check-in if you can. It's always nice catching up with everyone.

*Note - If the net is going to move forward we need a fresh group net control operators to jump in. If you have interest and can commit the time please let us know.

Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net

Open Topic
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds WA
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 00:30 UTC

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

Check the WMRA web page for linked repeaters, talk groups, etc.

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Hi Everyone,
I'll be your net control this evening. No set topic tonight but please check-in if you can. It's always nice catching up with everyone.

*Note - If the net is going to move forward we need a fresh group net control operators to jump in. If you have interest and can commit the time please let us know.

Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details

Open Topic

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink

Is "DMR TG 1137550" still viable? Or is it now "DMR BRANDMEISTER TG-3124829 "? I cannot do Echolink, but could DMR...

-Alain (KE3R)

Last edited:

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thanks everyone for joining tonight. We had a small group but lively conversation.
73!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncements
NCS:N7PHY30 Jul 2021
Topic:
Open
Check InNameLocationI/O
KJ6DHGRenayCAABS light and brake light coming on intermittently. Concerned 14V is too high. Re positioned power terminal. Re positioned wire and reading around13v. MPG is not right, reading 12-13 mpg. Going to Riverside to visit another jeeper. Secured a tire carrier finally get tire out of backseat. Have had jeep for 7 years and understand some maint is required. Pretty happy to be able to pick up some upgrades (like the ham radio). Looking forward to Mojave run in Sep. Last Jeep was stolen, which included lots of aftermarket parts. Thinking about 2nd battery system to support accessories. Looking to get fridge and winch.
KE6GVKMikeAZx
NB9DNeilNHNew YouTube channel, search NB9D.
VK7VWKRandallHobart TasmaniaScout camping and radio events coming up. About Renay's electrics, being a jeep important neg lead for connection to body end of power lead because of sensor measuring current. Looking for recommendations for dual band mobile antenna that isn't overly expensive, what gain and range. Commenting on Renay's updates; we build vehicles up slowly.
KM4PJNJimmieVAx
KO4SELGeorgeFLLittle rainy in FL. Temp down to 70's. Tourism is coming back which is good. Have done a lot of stealhead fishing in NY. Do we use netlogger? Like the system. For Randall, have also owned VWs with spare for parts. Have to use og parts from Deutschland now.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone,
I'll be your net control tomorrow evening. Our topic will be Off Road Tire Repair. Do you carry tools to repair a tire? What do you carry? Have you had to repair a tire on the trail?

Note about the Friday Net - Regrettably, the August 13th net will be my final as net-control. I have a trip with my son planned for the following week then it's back to work (office) after that. If anyone out there has the motivation, passion, inspiration, and time to take over, now would be the time to step up. Sorry, I really don't mean this as a guilt trip. It's ok if we put the net on hold until enough of us can get back to normal schedules, we just need to notify our friends at Starlink.

Ok, enough about that. I hope everyone can join us this week and share some tire fixing wisdom!

Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details

Open Topic

Echolink

Reactions: Techniq808

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Another fantastic net tonight! Thank you to everyone who could join or listen in. Notes on our Tire Repair topic and some interesting links are listed below. One bit of information we learned tonight, the WMR system site records and archives audio files. We can hear and check our own audio signals, or even listen to the net. STARLINKSYSTEM

If you can, please join us next Friday. We'll be talking about food, one of our favorite net topics, and wrapping up my run as an OB net control operator. Would be great to get as many folks checked in as possible.

73 everyone, hope you have a great weekend!
Ed N7PHY

Check InNameLocationI/O
K7XPOBRIENAZHad a recent flat tire. New kit called stop and go plugger. Have used regular kits but looking for something stronger, more permanent. Uses ratcheting thing to jam plug into hole, then pull it back to mushroom in back of hole. Good for punctures but not slice (had to use a couple plugs side by side). Stop and Go pocket recommended. ARB tire plug kit also recommended.
KE6GVKMIKEAZXComment: WMRAsystem.com check supermon page. Select downloadable audio. Can download all audio clips or listen to live feed. STARLINKSYSTEM
K7ZOOCURTAZLikes idea of picking up junk yard tire and popping holes in it for practice. Have patched lots of bike tires but no truck tires. Offer for net; if you'd like to hear your signal over the air can record and email mp3 file.
KJ6DHGRENAYCAStill working out jeep gremlins. Gas warning light came on today, we'll see. Carry tire kit but have not patched a tire. Have used fix a flat in truck with small tires. Was able to drive far enough to buy new tires. If I can't have anything else in my jeep I'll take an air compressor. Can use comp to keep tires filled with air.
VK7VWKRANDALLHOBART TASMANIAHave not patched tires. Have been lucky on long trips. Looking at patch kit. Did a bit of research on plugged tires. Learned can only really patch tire if in between blocks of tread. Sidewall or through tread block is desperate repair and must be replaced. Repair in grooves lasts for some time but must be replaced in time as it lets in moisture.
NB9DNeilNHMy dad KO2Z had a flat 2 days ago in the Dad mobile. Nail in tire. Picked up fix it kit and it worked well. Recommend pick up kit with T-Handle tools. Found you tube channel called Pakistani Trucker who had giant hole in tire but was able to repair. Having a great week. Added a bunch of you tube content to channel.
KJ7OKEDONAZX
K6SJGSEANCAX
KC2MJBDougNYHave only carried spare but have had plugs installed at tire shop. Have not been told to replace tire so not sure. A shame tires are so expensive.
KE7MUBradAZBeen watching program called Expedition Overland. Group heading to Alaska then down to Panama then south America.

ARB Tire Repair Kit

Plug-n-Go Tire Repair Kit

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
I'll be your net control this week. We are going to revisit our favorite topic this week, Camp Recipes and Food Planning. To get us started I found an interesting foil recipe called Lumberjack Breakfast on the roofnest web site. See below.

Note about the Friday Net - Regrettably, the August 13th net (this Friday) will be my final as net-control. I have a trip with my son planned for the following week then it's back to work (office) after that.
If anyone out there has the motivation, passion, inspiration, and time to take over please reach out to myself or one of the regular net control operators. We'll be happy to get you set-up and off to a good start.

Ok. I hope you can join us this Friday. The food chat's are always entertaining!

73!
Ed N7PHY

Net Details

Echolink

Lumberjack Breakfast

Credit roofnest(dot)com

Prep Time: 5 min

Cook Time: 20 min

For a hearty breakfast before a hike, this all-in-one foil pack meal is a crowd-pleaser and great for when you need a break from breakfast bars and cereal.

You can customize your ingredients and let your kids pack theirs with their own favorites.

What You’ll Need:
  • Sausage or Bacon
  • Frozen hash brown or leftover cooked potatoes
  • Eggs (1-2 per pack)
  • Chopped green onions
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Shredded cheese
How to Make It:
  1. On a large piece of foil, lightly spray cooking spray
  2. Add meat at bottom, then a handful of hash browns and vegetables
  3. Crack an egg or 2 on top and season with salt and pepper
  4. Wrap up foil pack and place on a hot BBQ for 15-20 minutes
  5. Once meat is cooked, add shredded cheese and place back on the BBQ for a few more minutes
  6. Unwrap and enjoy
You can add your own signature spices, or pair it with a side of fruit for the perfect Sunday brunch with friends or family.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
This recipe came up on tonight's net. Looks messy but might be fun to make. I'll report back.

Campfire French Toast

Credit roofnest(dot)com

Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Just because you’re not at your favorite breakfast place doesn’t mean you can’t have French toast.
The best part about this campfire meal in foil is that it’s not as messy as you might think. Plus, you can basically feed your whole campground with this camping recipe (or save some leftovers for the next morning).

What You’ll Need:
  • A loaf of your favorite bread (sliced)
  • 8 eggs
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ cup sliced almonds
  • 1 container fresh strawberries
  • Powdered sugar
  • Syrup
How to Make It:
  1. Wash your berries, then dice half and slice the other half
  2. Wrap the loaf of bread in parchment paper, then loosely in foil with bread slices slightly open
  3. Sprinkle the diced strawberries over the loaf and in between slices (set aside the sliced strawberries)
  4. Sprinkle in the almonds
  5. Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl until frothy and light
  6. Wrap the foil around the bread a little tighter before pouring egg mixture evenly over the entire loaf
  7. Wrap up the foil pack and place over a campfire or grill on low to medium heat for 40 minutes, or until bread no longer looks soggy
  8. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes
  9. Add powdered sugar, syrup, and sliced strawberries

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
We had a small group tonight but a great discussion.
I'll be out for the foreseeable future but feel free to ping me through the forums or email.

Thank you everyone, it's been a great run!

73!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio NetAnnouncements
NCS:N7PHY13 Aug 2021
Topic:
Summer Cooking / Recipes
Check InNameLocationI/O
KJ6DHGRenaySan DiegoHoping for net volunteers. Threw in towel and brought tire carrier to shop to install. Did a good job. Now have space for fridge. FAv color - red. Have a red jeep! Back to food, Mom doesn't like milk but will eat cereal with condensed milk. She will mix powdered with regular milk as well. Also like breakfast food. Look for unc bens rice and other packet packed food to be boiled. 40L fridge doesn't sound big enough for 2 week trip. Thinking 60L but will take up most of cargo space.
KE6GVKMikeAZxThunderstorms
VK7VKWRandallHobart TasmaniaVan is red - only had two choices, white, red. Looking at compact cookware. Looking at things without handles to better fit. Saw kit with foldup handles but was expensive. Interesting thing, finding meals available in foil packets that can be boiled. Change due to pandemic? Also have yogurt maker which makes a quart. Like to bring with on trips. Watching video of group packing for 2 week trips (Grizzly Bear Overland). Awesome amount of fridge capacity. I'm limited on 40l engle. Wondering how long can you survive on limited space. How much is a good capacity.
NB9DNeilNHRamen noodles got through college.
VK2DYRobertSydneyNoted covid cases are rising but have some interesting projects to work on. Rasp Pi and SDR primarily.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Unfortunately, the Friday Night HAM Radio NET will not operate this week September 10th due to the lack of a net controller.

If you would like to see this net continue, we need more net controllers to spread the workload and for those weeks where the regulars have other commitments.
If you would like to help, please contact us on this thread.

I've found it a great way to get experience starting out as a HAM operator. All you need is a HAM licence (any level), a computer or mobile phone running the Echolink program and perhaps a headset.

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
I will be off-grid for a couple of weeks, touring W. CO and E. UT, but will ping after I get back. I can probably swing one net a month...