First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Good net last night folks! Here are my notes on it:

First we need to keep our friend Robert VK2DY and his family in New South Wales in our thoughts as they are experiencing bad bush fires in the area and may fall under an evacuation order soon.

Next, last night's net marks the beginning of our 2nd year on the air with the Overland Bound Echolink Net!!! Thanks to everyone who checks in and a special thanks to Ed, Shane, Ted, and Brent for running the net and doing a great job keeping the net going throughout last year. Looking forward to another great year on the air with you guys!

Last night's topic was the ARRL/ARES Wilderness Protocol for monitoring the VHF and above calling frequencies to be able to lend assistance when possible. This is a short blurb at the end of the ARES Field Resource Manual (attached to this post) and it reads:

"The Wilderness protocol (see page 101, August 1995 QST) calls for hams in the wilderness to announce their presence on, and to monitor, the national calling frequencies for five minutes beginning at the top of the hour, every three hours from 7 AM to 7 PM while in the back country. A ham in a remote location may be able to relay emergency information through another wilderness ham who has better access to a repeater. National calling frequencies: 52.525, 146.52, 223.50, 446.00, 1294.50 MHz."

And here are the notes from the net of our discussion on the topic:

KD8JLV Steve
1. Good Evening everyone. Congrats to 1yr on the air.

2. Great discussion tonight from everyone. Need to figure out how to communicate and what to do and going with the Wilderness Protocol seems to be best option. Overlanding, Backpacking ect all talking about same thing and stick to established protocol. Sticky in communication section? Make sure we're doing it and coaching other on doing it as well. Be sure to always talk about it and get it to catch on. Guilty of using radio for own needs and not thinking about being there for others who need help. Shifting to being a good listener as well to help when needed.

W8ILL Will
1. Remembers years ago when CB/Ham was only mobile coms in vehicles. Keep radios in good shape so you can make contact.

N7PHY Ed
1. Happy 2020! Wilderness protocol makes good since. Good to announce yourself. If you are at the radio anyway, might as well monitor calling frequency when you can.

2. Taking lots of notes, nothing to add but great conversation. Monitors .520 at home but not really "listening". Comment on Ted's HF question: Be prepared ahead of time and know of local nets. Every net opens with call for emergency traffic. good to know about them.

KM4KPV David
1. Works with Kentucky ARES. Has issues with frequency variance in locality. Statewide frequency is 146.550. Also the interoperability guide but frequencies are in conflict with Kentucky state guidelines. Chosen to make sure everyone is onboard with National interoperability guide. Good to program in local repeaters.

K5TIN Shane
1. Wilderness protocol: read it a few times and try to keep it in mind when out. Usually wind up keeping B band on APRS and A band on .460 because it's recognized off-road frequency. Bad about monitoring on the hour but wants to get better at. Good to pay attention to the WP for the benefit of everyone.

2. Making plans to work WP into operating practices. GMRS radio talk in chat box. Lots of good info.

WD6TED Ted
1. Has IC5100 with dual VFO. Radio on most of the time and usually have one side set to 520. In SoCal they use 520 and simplex net on Wednesday night. Good conditions can get 100mi. Concern: lack of standards across the country. Issue for travelers. SoCal and NoCal has different band plans, no standard. Thinks it's concerning that national calling frequency isn't recognized across the country. Good to contact local radio club before heading into an area for information on frequencies.

2. Good info on net tonight. Couple thoughts: lots of work to be done. If states agree on frequencies, we still need to promote it. Need to talk up the benefits of useage on the air. Important to get the info out there so others are listening. Also HF available and not reliant on repeaters for long distance. Anything like that for HF?

VK7VWK Randall
1. Aus doesn't have same protocol. 3hr schedule makes good sense for use with HT with limited battery and conserve your power. Considered it today walking through the area on a bush walk. Carry GPS locators but good to be mindful of power use.

2. In process of packing up camp. Lots of interesting info with HF. Usually in Aus they have non-amateur HF networks he subscribes to and can relay from VHF to that for emergency. Royal Flying Doctor Service he can call if needed. Gov't network that connects remote properties and communities to stations that can be triggered with cell calls. Connects people with emergency services if needed. Operates in 30m band. Charity that will fly in doctors. Units are "type approved" but fit amateur requirements for SSB and AM and max power of 125W.

VA2EEK Don
1. Good that WP was brought up. Concerned about calling frequencies not being recognized. Is by agreement instead of regulation. RAC is frequency allocation body for Canada. People should try to stick to ARRL/ARES conventions.

Comment on Ted's HF: Looking for calling frequencies on HF but only thing is DX info and contests. Didn't find calling frequencies for HF otherwise. Better band to try is 6m? "magic band" Better possibility of hitting people closer by. 250km? Better than someone on different continent. Comment on "are they listening" Knows a guy who sets up camper, is a "snow bird" and has a sticker with callsign and calling frequency on sticker so others can call him.

2. Already said piece on HF and having call on vehicle. Don't have anything like Royal Flying Doctor Service. 90% of population of Canada lives close to border and is covered well by cell service. Provinces are required to have remote emergency services and to transport via air ambulance between areas. No HF links for general populace. Look forward to reviewing notes and can use notes in local SAR service when they are in the bush.

KD8YMT Ed
1. Interesting topic! Agrees with Randall that 3hr is about saving battery life. Very concerning that everyone doesn't use same hailing frequencies. Thinks that breaking up e/w or n/s and polling most common frequencies.

KS4KLM Kevin
1. Static….. Switched to echolink… Hard to find people on .520. A 3-4hr ride could use the activity. Home QTH is near interstate but still pretty dead. GMRS? Good for family with $70 license.

KI5BQG John
1. Thinks that Randall is exactly right about 3hr timing. Big in backpacking community to conserve power. Know when someone should be listening and when I should be listening. Stick with .520 makes sense across the board when traveling so everyone knows they are on the right frequency.
2. Lost internet for a while. Saw on backpacker channel on YT was working through SOTA and WP to have info posted on trail heads. Might look into local areas to post info for hams.

VK2DY Robert
1. 113*F but should get hotter. Only 1pm there. Bad for bush fires, burning out of control. Nothing to stop them, just barely controlling them. Evacuations in effect for NSW.

In closing, everyone learned a lot I think, there were several things about the Wilderness Protocol that aren't spelled out in it but that were brought to light through the reasoning of our participants last night and it was a good discussion for the group. We all agreed that it's something that we, as outdoors enthusiasts should be doing and working to get our friends to use it as well for the benefit of not only the overland community, but other outdoors enthusiasts as well.

Again, keep our friend Robert and all the folks in the area of the NSW bush fires in your thoughts as they deal with those. Best wishes Robert!

In closing this post, I would again like to thank everyone for participating in the net last year and please join in through this year when you can. We enjoy being able to put it on and having a good group like you really makes the effort worth while for us.

As always, anyone who would like to try a round as Net Control Station, please reach out to one of us and we'll gladly get you started. We could use one or two more operators this year as we begin to all get busy.

73 everyone,
Terry KT4OZ

Attachments

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
The question of HF for emergencies was raised on the Friday net.

In Australia there are a couple of networks that are in use. These services are not Amateur Radio (HAM), but amateurs are permitted to use them in a real emergency. They are best accessed using approved HF SSB radios. Radios, such as the Barrett 2050, can sometimes be programmed for amateur use if the operator is licenced.

***** For use in Australia only ****

The Royal Flying Doctor Service can be contacted directly on HF frequencies 4010 kHz, 6890 kHz and 8165 kHz. This gives direct contact with medical and evacuation services. To use this service properly a traveller should have a Mobile Outpost Licence, which as a yearly fee, from the ACMA (equivalent to FCC). There are no exams but you may have to show need, i.e. outback travel.

VKS-737 provides communication on 5455 kHz, 8022 kHz, 11612 kHz, 14977 kHz, 3995 kHz, 6796 kHz and 10180 kHz. This is a commercial network for which you can subscribe for a fee. This service provides contact with emergency providers as well as vehicle breakdown/recovery services, location logging and even phone interconnect.

Both services are available 24 hours, but sellcall may needed to be used to "wake" the operator on call.
Both services use a number of base stations, interconnected via the phone network/internet. Sellcall may be required to connect from an unmanned station to the controller.

PLUS
There is the Australian Travellers Net for Amateur Radio. This operates on 14.116MHz & 21.185MHz at set times

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The question of HF for emergencies was raised on the Friday net.

In Australia there are a couple of networks that are in use. These services are not Amateur Radio (HAM), but amateurs are permitted to use them in a real emergency. They are best accessed using approved HF SSB radios. Radios, such as the Barrett 2050, can sometimes be programmed for amateur use if the operator is licenced.

***** For use in Australia only ****

The Royal Flying Doctor Service can be contacted directly on HF frequencies 4010 kHz, 6890 kHz and 8165 kHz. This gives direct contact with medical and evacuation services. To use this service properly a traveller should have a Mobile Outpost Licence, which as a yearly fee, from the ACMA (equivalent to FCC). There are no exams but you may have to show need, i.e. outback travel.

VKS-737 provides communication on 5455 kHz, 8022 kHz, 11612 kHz, 14977 kHz, 3995 kHz, 6796 kHz and 10180 kHz. This is a commercial network for which you can subscribe for a fee. This service provides contact with emergency providers as well as vehicle breakdown/recovery services, location logging and even phone interconnect.

Both services are available 24 hours, but sellcall may needed to be used to "wake" the operator on call.
Both services use a number of base stations, interconnected via the phone network/internet. Sellcall may be required to connect from an unmanned station to the controller.
Thanks for elaborating on that Randall! Good information!

Reactions: MTN RNR

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
Tomorrow evenings net topic is 'New Ham Q&A' where we try to answer any and all ham radio questions. We do this once per month and has always produced lively conversation. We are not limited to just questions, if you have specific radio expertise you would like to share this would be a great time to bring it up with the group.

Net Details:
Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

If anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to myself, @ru108, @TerryD , @Brentc17 or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We definitely could use the assistance.

Hope you can make it. 73!

Ed, N7PHY

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hopefully this will help with any questions.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
That was a very interesting net last night everyone. A big thank you to everyone that joined or listened in. And a hearty welcome to all the first time check-ins! Our topic was ‘new ham Q&A’ which was fitting for our first net of the new year. If anyone would like to correct or add to the notes please respond in the thread.

Thanks everyone!
Ed - N7PHY

Check-ins:
W7BR Brent AZ
Throwing out topic: anyone experienced with digital modes (DMR, Dstar, etc,). Awaiting hotspot to get on digital. Idea to setup a DMR channel for OB members to connect anytime. (we could link to GritsnGravy during the net). Offered advice about IC5100 question connecting to digital modes or echolink; find local repeater to translate dstar to dmr then connect to gng.(?)

KT4OZ Terry VA
Interesting fix this week. Inexpensive Tram mag mount antenna of friend not working well. Found ant element anodized and not making proper connection to brass threads. Cleaned up and working well. Suggested repeaterbook.com for help programming up HT. (correct me if I have that wrong Terry)

KI7RAM Bill NV
Just getting over cold so only monitoring tonight.

VK7VWK Randall Tasmania
Question for the group; Does output power on HF rig make difference to distance you can communicate? I think we concluded more power = more distance.

K7XPO Brien AZ
Mentioned OB events in AZ this weekend (Phoenix meetup). Added repeater book app is a good one. topic idea: long range fuel options. Jerry cans, titan tanks, rotopax, etc. I also recently installed an aux expedition fuel tank and it's a game changer

KD8JLV Steve OH
Enjoyed last weeks wilderness protocol discussion. Talked about fires in Australia in 4th grade class and mentioned conversations with Randall and Robert in VK land. (very cool)

KN6GNV John CA
1st time on net. Just licensed last month and recent OB member as well. (Welcome!)

K6DMO Derek CA
Also 1st time on net. Programming a Yeasu HT and looking for guidance finding repeater information. Repeaterbook.com - Home

KI5BQG John TX
New ham and using echolink on the iphone. Question; have ports open but continue to have timeouts. Will disconnect when others talk. (Not able to answer this on the net but if anyone has guidance please post in forum)

N6DWA Dan CA
Question; anybody know how to hook up echolink to IC5100? (see Brents suggestion)

W8ILL Will MI
Antenna back in the air. Bad weather on the way, be safe.

DA3YAO Michael Germany
Check in from Germany (sorry for confusion, we got it sorted once I remembered the German word for ‘net’)

KN4UJJ Justin FL
Check in from Justin.

KC8FQV Mark OH
Visiting. Talked about local traffic net being light lately.

KE8AYE JW OH
Asked if OB members us Grits n Gravy at other times. A: not usually. (let’s talk more about our own DMR channel)

KN4YQZ Will FL
Text Check-in

K1CJM Charles NV
Figured out an echolink issue during the net. Look forward to future check-ins from Charles.

KN6GLP Chris CA
Text Check-in. First time on net!

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
G'day everyone! Tonights net will be hosted by Shane K5TIN @ru108. The topic will a followup to an idea brought up last week by @brien K7XPO:
Long range fuel options: Jerry cans, titan tanks, rotopax, etc. Brien also also mentioned he recently installed an aux expedition fuel tank and thought it's a game changer.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight!

73 de WD6TED

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryD

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
You can put me down as a possible net controller.
I'm not sure if there is any rules stopping that as I'm not in the US.
Timezone wise the net happens on my Saturday, at 12:30 hrs in the US winter and 10:30 when it is summer in the US.
As it is a Saturday there will be days when I'm out, hopefully Overlanding.

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
You can put me down as a possible net controller.
I'm not sure if there is any rules stopping that as I'm not in the US.
Timezone wise the net happens on my Saturday, at 12:30 hrs in the US winter and 10:30 when it is summer in the US.
As it is a Saturday there will be days when I'm out, hopefully Overlanding.
Randall thanks for offering to help out! Considering the net is about an adventure activity, no need to worry about being out overlanding. That's why we need the help! If we have enough volunteers then when that "quick opportunity" comes up (*or other things life throws our way) we will have backup. Glad to have you aboard!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I apologize in advance for the combination of ALL CAPS and standard text in the notes from last night's net. I didn't notice the caps lock was on until I was half way through the first page, so I just went with it. :disappointed: MOST of the round 2 comments are in standard text and it actually makes it easier to pick out what's what for me, but YMMV. Been out of the saddle for too long the last few months with my control duties, so hopefully it'll get better. Anyway, here are the notes as I got them during last night's net. Feel free to post up with any corrections or additions...

OB Net notes 1/17/20​

Topic: Long range fuel storage

Net Control - K5TIN (Shane)

N5ADV (MOBILE) - David in TX. Headed to the Quartz Fest in AZ. Built a new trailer and will find out how that works. Carrying 5 gal generally of unleaded and 5 gal water and 5 diesel. Just trying to figure out organization.

VA2EEK - Donald in Quebec - STOCK TACO WITH NO RACKS OR ANYTHING TO CARRY EXTRA JERRY CANS. MOSTLY DO DAY TRIPS AND KNOWN THE LIMITS OF MY TRUCK. DON’T GO TOO FAR. BASICALLY STOP AND GET GAS ANYWHERE YOU CAN, ESPECIALLY HERE IN THE WINTER. USUSALLY DO LOOPPS ON THE LGGING ROADS IN NW ONTARIO. OFF TOPICS, TIRES IN COLD WEATHER, OLD ARMY STORY ABOUT TIRES BEING BLOCKS OF ICE AND OUT OF ROUND UNTIL WE COULD GET THEM WARM AGAIN. Rd 2. Just thinking about mounting options. Rack or something else. Maybe a rear carrier. Would rather have it down low in case it leaks. Don’t really do any expedition travel, so generally have enough on board.

W8ILL- Will in MI - USE MY BIG TRUCK HAS DUAL TANKS. 17 IN ONE AND 22 IN THE OTHER. USUALLY ALL SET FOR GAS. Nothing in round 2

NB9D - Neal in ME -TRY NOT TO PUSH THE RIG TOO MUCH, BUT KNOW MY LIMITS. HAD A LOT OF SNOW RECENTLY, SO HAVE BEEN USING MORE THAN NORMAL. USUALLY CARRY AT LEAST ONE GAS CAN WITH ME FOR VEHCIE AND CAMP USE. 12 5 GAL CANS TOTAL. KEEP A GALLON OF DIESEL AS WELL FOR GENERAL USE. Rd.2 - Nothing really to add. Usually have plenty on hand all of the time. Been experimenting turning an HT into a hotspot so we can get away from the cell phone. So far it seems to be working great.

K7IEX - Tyler in AZ - NO FUEL OPTIONS RIGHT NOW, SO EXCITED ABOUT THE TOPIC. LOOKING FOR OPTIONS. Rd2 - Question re: Jerry cans: pretty green and remeber gong as younger. With the options nowdays, what is what?

KN4UJJ -Justin in FL - TUNDRA WITH 38 GAL TANK, SO THAT PRETTY MUCH COVERS IT. 350-400 DEPENDING ON TERRAIN. WILL BE GETTING AN EXCURSION WITH A 44 GAL TANK, SO SHOULD BE GOOD. Rd 2 noting heard

KT4OZ - Terry in VA - XTERRA HAS 20 GAL TANK, AS FAR AS MIDSIZE SUV, PRETTY DECENT SIZE. GENERALLY DON’T WORRY ABOUT CARRYING EXTRA, BUT HAVE STRAPPED A SEPTER CAN FOR THE COLORADO TRIP LAST YEAR. HAD BEST ECONOMY IN THE GROUP I WAS WITH. LOOKING AT GETTING A CUSTOM MAXTERRA REAR BUMPER, SO PLANNING TO CARRY ONE FUEL CAN AND ONE 5 GAL WATER CAN. Rd 2- Nothing to really add. Been fighting phone connection issues. Great net and topic.

KM6UEP - Terry in CA - WE HAVE EASTERN SIERRAS PRETTY MUCH IN OUR BACK YARD. WE DO CARRY SPARES JUST IN CASE, BUT NO PLANS FOR MODS AND JUST RELY ON THE JERRY CANS. Rd 2 - Great topic. First time on net and brought up some ideas.

K7XPO Brien in AZ - STARTED WITH 12 GAL TITAN TANK, THEN PUT A ROTOPAX MOUNT ON THE TRAILER AFTER WE GOT THAT. IN THE STATES WE USUALLY DON’T NEED THEM AT ALL, BUT WHEN WE GO TO MEXICO, ALWAYS FILL UP EVERYTHING. INSTALLED AN EXPEDITION 16 GAL RESERVE IN THE JEEP LAST MONTH THAT CONNECTS TO THE MAIN TANK. BUTTON SWITCHES BETWEEN THE TWO FROM THE CAB. GIVES 38-39 GAL WITH THAT SETUP. TOTAL CAPACITY WOULD BE ABOUT 54 GAL. JUST MOUNTED A 7.5L DIESEL TANK ON THE TRAILER RECENTLY FOR TENT/TRAILER HEAT. SUGGESTION: EXPEDITION TANK IS HANDS DOWN WINNER IF YOU WNAT TO STAY WITH ONBOARD CHEAP GAS. ROTOPAX STILL MY FAVORITE. FULL DISCLOSURE, I’M AN AMBASSADOR FOR THE LONG RANGE TANKS, SO ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE ASK. www.longrangeamerica.com Rd 2 - Not much else to add, but if you want to talk to someone about the OG trailers, 1louder has one. He has the 2.0 and is an ambassador for them.

VK7VWK Randall in Tasmania - My OLD NISSAN CARRIES ABOUT 39 GAL US DIESEL GIVES RANGE OF ABOUT 750 MILES. LOTS OF PLACES HERE THAT IF I GO TOO FAR OUT HAVE A CHANCE OF RUNNING OUT. NISSAN IS AN OLD PATHFINDER WITH A REPLACEMENT TANK. HAVE RUN OUT ONCE BUT IT USUALLY GETS ME MOST PLACES. HAVENT DONE ANY MODS ON MY NEWER VEHICLE - VAN. HAS RESONABLY GOOD RANGE AS IS. STILL DEBATING ON BIGGER TANK FOR THAT BECAUSE OF SLOSHING, EVEN WITH BAFFLES. Rd 2 - Not much more to add. Interesting to see how everyone has approached the problem.

W9ZRT Jeffrey in IL - HAVE A GEN 5 4R. EXTRA FUEL WILL BE AFTER I GET AN AFTERMARKET BUMPER. Rd 2 - First net. Paying attention and trying to learn.

K4TNC -Harold in NC - HAD TROUBLE WITH WATER IN GAS IN THE PAST. Nothing heard Rd 2.

VK2DY Robert in NSW Australia - ONCE YOU GET ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF SYDNEY, GOTTA MAKE SURE YOU WATCH YOUR FUEL. TRY TO NEVER PASS A PETROL STATION OUT IN THE BUSH. YOU’LL PROBABLY NOT SEE ANOTHER ONE FOR A WHILE. NOT MUCH ELSE TO SHARE FOR NOW. Rd 2 - no answer

KI5BQG John in TX - HAVEN’T PUT ANY EXTRA FUEL CAPACITY SO FAR ON 2018 COLORADO. MOUNTING OPTIONS ARE KIND OF LIMITED WITH A CAMPER SHELL . GENERALLY JUST KEEP AN EYE ON IT TO KEEP IT FROM GETTING TOO LOW. Rd 2 - Great net and topic. Question: with the plastic packs, vent flat or stand up? Answer from K5TIN - Mine are mounted flat and are vented as they lie. Usually put about 1/2 gal. less than max in order to leave room to crack the cap and not risk spillage. Haven’t had any issues so far.

WD6TED - Ted in CA - CBI REAR BUMPER AND LIVE IN FEAR OF RUNNING OUT. HAD ISSUES WITH MY 1ST GEN 4R. CARRY 5 GAL. FUEL AND 5 GAL. WATER IN THE DESERT. MORE IF FURTHER OUT. BEFORE THE BUMPER, CARRIED ON ROOF WITH BIKE CABLES AND LOCKS. LIKE HAVING PLENTY OF AIR WHEN SCUBA DIVING. QUESTION FOR BRIEN- DO YOU FEEL THE EFFECTS IN DRIVING THE VEHICLE WITH THAT MUCH EXTRA FUEL IN THE EXTENDED TANK WEIGHT OR SLOSHING? BRIEN ANSWER. GOOD QUESTION. HAVEN’T NOTICED OR FELT ANY SLOSHING OR MOVEMENT PERSONALLY WITH THE LONG RANGE AMERICA, THEY ARE BAFFLED. POSITIONING IN THE JEEP, IT MIRRORS THE EXISTING TANK, SO THE WEIGHT IS BASICALLY CENTERED ON THE VEHICLE. I TRY TO KEEP THE TANKS GENERALLY EVEN AND TRANSFER BETWEEN 1/2 AND 3/4 TANK IN EACH. Rd 2 - Don mentioned overhead vs. on the back. Done both. Problem with over with me is 5 gal Jerry is heavy and a pain when you’re alone. Rotopax look easier to handle, but still think I’ll use the cans on the back. All about lifting it and have to be careful backing since they stick out a bit further than a spare tire. Again, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Quick plug for Winter Field Day in a couple of weeks.

AE4JA - John in VA - 1991 3/4 TON SUBURBAN WITH 6.2 DIESEL. 50 OR 55 GAL TANK, SO USUALLY HAVE PLENTY.

K5TIN - Shane in LA - Net Control - 5th gen 4Runner with 23 gal. tank. Usually carry one 4 gal. Rotopax on the roof. Planning to order an Off Grid Expedition 2.0 trailer in August or September, which will have a front rack for extra storage. Plan to carry two 5 gal. Jerry cans there and get one more Rotopax for the roof. Should be plenty for 95% of what we do. Definitely will have all of it full for a trip we’re planning through Death valley and down to Baja next year after Expo West. Thinking it should be enough if I don’t romp on it too much. No plans right now for a rear bumper for gas/tire storage. The trailer will be more than enough extra weight back there since I want to keep the 4R as stock as possible. Only other addition to the truck will be a hidden winch mount and 10K winch to go with the rest of the recovery gear.

GREAT NET with 17 check-ins including Net Control. Thanks to everyone who stopped by. Catch ya next week!

73 de K5TIN

Last edited:

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Interesting topic. Lots of good stuff covered here. Can’t wait to get my license and rig so I can start participating in the weekly net.
It was a good time. Hurry up and get your ticket! We’ll be here when you’re ready. You can join and use EchoLink from your computer, tablet or phone until you get an RF rig set up. Just be sure to check with the repeater owner for permission if/when you do use a radio.

73 till then.....

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It was a good time. Hurry up and get your ticket! We’ll be here when you’re ready. You can join and use EchoLink from your computer, tablet or phone until you get an RF rig set up. Just be sure to check with the repeater owner for permission if/when you do use a radio.

73 till then.....
I’m sure it will be ok. I found out we have 2 public repeaters I can hit very easily here

Reactions: TerryD and ru108

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Just be sure to check with the repeater owner for permission if/when you do use a radio.
I’m sure it will be ok. I found out we have 2 public repeaters I can hit very easily here
You will have their repeater tied-up for about a hour, they may or may not want their repeater linked up that long so it is always good to ask first.

Reactions: M Rose and TerryD