Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
OB Net 9/28/19 on Echolink 591550
Topic: Things that bolt on to your vehicle and vehicle security
Net control: Ted WD6TED, San Diego, CA
Check-ins: 10 (including net control)

1. W7BR - Brent - Olympia WA - OB# 13675: Had a quick check in and check out.
  2. N7PHY - Ed - Edmonds WA - OB# 15391: Has a Chevy Colorado truck with his needs understandably shifted biased towards fishing. No awning and not much out there for his truck though there are some roof mounting solutions. Hasn't seen much yet for vehicle security in terms of safes that appear really well fastened to the vehicle.
  3. KT4OZ - Terry - Covington VA - OB# 3710: Has roof rack that fits inside of built-in rack on his X-Terra (could not read my writing re the make of rack). Likes it b/c doesn't add to the weight of the vehicle. Still, he is looking into aftermarket racks. The FrontRunner system looks interesting. Also thinking about the ARB 2500 awning with add-on room as a supplemental sleeping area. For vehicle security he just ensures he locks his vehicle and has locks on his lug nuts. He is thinking about additional vehicle security system. Interestingly, Terry did not mention any bolt on equipment for lanterns....
  4. K7XPO - Brien - Tuscon AZ - OB# 3553 - Checking in from Overland Bound Rally Sierras 2019 at Camp Edison CA. This event used to be called "Off the Grid" for those not familiar with the new event name. It's very family friendly. Most camp at Camp Edison (near Shaver Lake) but some do dispersed camping. Most of the camp action, however, is at the campground. Big focus this year on training. 1st aid, Kids orienteering and adult orienteering, Wagan sponsored Power 101 classes, Trail Debrief for trail safety and learning how to be a spotter, offload basics, and ham tech license class with exam. There are 2 catered dinners. On Saturday there are 5 different trails of various difficulties from easy to challenging from which drivers may choose to participate. Also a big bonfire each night at camp for socializing. With respect to things that bolt on to his vehicle, Brien has a Gobi Rack - really great rack but no customer communication and very long lead times on orders (Ed Note: I agree). Has used pool "noodles" mounted to crossbars for carrying a kayak. For the Jeep he has a Foxwing made out of the country (thinks it no longer available but Rhino Rack makes a similar one he thinks). For the Turtleback trailer has a 23 zero Peregrin 270 (if I got that correct).
  5. VK7VWK - Randall - Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, OB# 5615: Only has roof rack on his van. It's just a flat area to which you can attach things with straps. Has a Foxwing but makes access to things in the back of the rack difficult. (Vehicle photo on his OB page).
  6. AB5JK - Jimi - Uvalde TX: System guy for Grits-n-Gravy server. Apologized for the outage last week. Gave us a link to get his e-mail so that we can get a phone number in case this happens again.
  7. KG4AFB - Joshua - Charlottesville VA: Relaxing after a full day of doing plumbing on his house.
  8. W8ILL - Will - Taylor MI: For vehicle security he relies on the blinking light inside of his vehicle when the alarm is active.
  9. AA4SS - Tim - Boones Mill VA: Setup a new shack at his son's house. Just finishing it up still has one more line of coax to pull. Sounded very good.
  10. WD6TED - Ted - San Diego CA - OB #13782: Looking for an awning for his 4Runner. Has a Gobi Rack. Considering the ARB 2000 series awning. Not sure the ARB 2500 will fit well on a 4Runner with the hatchback in the back. Uses a console safe made by console vault (consolevault.com).
Net concluded at 1833 PDT, 0133Z on 9/28/2019

Good hearing everyone last night!

Ted

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Interestingly, Terry did not mention any bolt on equipment for lanterns....
Don't think for a second that I haven't tried to figure out a way to mount one on the side of the X. It's just never quite worked how I wanted it to! :laughing:

Reactions: MTN RNR

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Don't think for a second that I haven't tried to figure out a way to mount one on the side of the X. It's just never quite worked how I wanted it to! :laughing:
Not exactly bolt-on, but maybe magnets? Just a thought....

Reactions: TerryD

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Where there's a will, there's a way. If you can get a flat plate tacked onto the lantern, Shane might have something there using rare earth magnets! Anyone that can come up with a lantern that repels insects can figure out how to mount it :wink: I got faith in you Terry.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Where there's a will, there's a way. If you can get a flat plate tacked onto the lantern, Shane might have something there using rare earth magnets! Anyone that can come up with a lantern that repels insects can figure out how to mount it :wink: I got faith in you Terry.
Well I haven't gotten that trick figured out yet so...

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tonight. I'll be your net controller for tonight's topic which is TIRES - what do you run and why? As usual, pretty much anything else will go as well. Hope you can join us.

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PDT/2030 hours EDT
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

73! Shane, K5TIN

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
G'Day,
Friday October 18th thru Sunday October 20th is the Scout Organisation's Jamboree of the Air (JOTA). At which time my echolink station will be used to further interest in Amateur (HAM) Radio over the weekend. I'm curious to hear if some of the members here are also involved with the Scout movement either as parents or helpers. This is sometimes the case because we have a common interest in outdoor activities.
If there is interest, maybe we can include it in the net on the 18th.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Friday nights OB EchoLink net notes 10/11/19
TOPIC - TIRES - what do you run and why​

N0IV (Mark in GA) - 2017 Taco Falcon Wildpeak 10 ply. Feels one of the best AT are three peaks rated and there are better but think they are the best for an AT. Just a bit stiff, but great on the trail for puncture resistance. Good road manners and pretty quiet. Tacos come with the Goodyear Adventures and were happy with them, but still changed to the Falcons when it was time to change. They run about $170 or so. Another good ones are the Geolanders from what I have heard.

W8ILL (Will in MI) - Used to run Firestone, but stopped after past troubles with them. Usually use General AT and have had good luck with them, especially in the snow. Don’t do much off road, but work good for what I do. Had good luck with General and one other brand I can’t remember right off. Been a bit since I bought tires. Need a new set, but not sure what I’m going to get just yet.

KE4GIV(James in VA) - Have couple vehicles…run KO2 on Jeep and Cooper RTX AT on the Taco. Looking for some good off road tires for that. Heard good things about all, but will be upgrading in the future, so looking for info. Appreciate all the input. My plan is to hopefully get a mud terrain for playing and just all terrains for DD use. Lots of muddy trails in VA. Jeep came with a set of the Goodyear kevlar tires, but they got loud as they wore, so changed to BFG.

N7PHY (Ed in WA) - Have a Chevy Colorado ZR2 and have stock Duratracs on it. Ok for the most part right now for commuting, but now taking the bus to work so looking at upgrading for more off road use. Taking notes. Burning up Google. Looking at MT tires in general and they are aggressive for sure. Taking notes for a good starting point.

WD6TED (Ted in CA) - 99 Land Cruiser w/ 350k and KO2. Last forever and am on second set. On 4R, had Wrangler Duratrac on it and have 30k on them. Work great in every kind of terrain I’ve been in so far. Very happy with them. Also wearing well. Nobody mentioned Toyo, so… thinking of maybe putting either KM3 or Toyo in 4R, but one of the problems is MT doesn’t last as long. Maybe because of a softer compound. Gotten 80k out of NFG, so think they’re good for the price. ? how much of a bennie is a mud terrain over an all terrain when you’re not in mud all the time. Saw a 4R in fairly deep sand with street tires and thought really???

KI7RAM (Bill in NV) - KO2 user because when I got into 4wheeling, that is what a friend recommended after I got a flat in Death Valley on the stock tires. Also have them on my Earth Cruiser, but they are hard to find in the size needed for that vehicle. Not much experience in mud with them, but great everywhere else. As for Ted’s question, depends on what terrain you’re running the most. Best to just buy for most common terrain.

VK7VWK (Randall in Australia) - Have quite a few vehicles with a Nissan having AT3 tires on it. Looking around for tires on the van which is hard due to laws and restrictions on speed ratings. Suggestions, mostly everyone runs regular AT tires. Have tried MT that didn’t last. Mostly just run Cooper now and got around 60km so far. Found mud terrains are really no good in sand. AT are better in the sand.

K4FM (didn’t catch name or QTH)- Just use stock. Have 2019 hybrid Toyota with Firestone tires. Not happy with the brand itself, but have them rotated every 5000 miles and will likely trade the vehicle by the time the tires are ready for replacement. Had an old Grenada and had the Firestone spare blow out in the trunk.. Don’t really do any off road, so not really concerned with it.

KN6EBB (Adam in CA) - 2017 Colorado. Still running the stock Goodyears right now. Happy with them. Nice and quiet with no issues so far.

N4UVC (Robert in FL) - Don’t drive, but brother keeps good tires on my transport vehicle.

AB5JK (Jimi in TX) - Nothing to add

KN4MMA (Matt in GA) - 2013 F150 - 33x12.5 Toro MT and have yet to take off pavement. On road wet and dry is surprisingly well for aggressive tire, but very noisy. Heard they had a spotty history and QC issues, but stood behind their old tires and have gotten better. Planning to do more off roading in the future. So we’ll see.

VK2DY (Robert in Australia) - Checked in in the chat

K5TIN (Shane) net control - Goodyear Wrangler Adventure w/ kevlar on both the 4R and the Tundra. Used them for years on police pickups when I lived in Wyoming and they were great in all weather and all terrains, so started using them on my personal vehicles. Looking into the General Grabber AT2 when the time comes for replacement. Will start with the Tundra since I’m only about 20K miles from needing to get new ones. How they do on the Tundra will determine if I put them on the 4R when the time comes or stick with the Goodyears.

14 check-ins including net control. The above is, of course, a synopsis of the discussion and I left out a lot of details, but it was a great topic with a ton of good info passed, questions asked and answered.

Catch everyone next week! 73!

K5TIN (Shane)

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Was there a Friday nights OB EchoLink on the 18th?
Yes there was.. (below copied from the net meetup post: Ham Radio Weekly NET)

We had a really great net last night. Thank you everyone who could join in. The conversation centered around mobile communication gear. It would take me all day to transpose all the great conversation, but I’ll summarize some of the highlights. If anyone is interested in the raw notes, I would be happy to share just drop me a line.

If anyone is interested in helping us with Net Control please PM myself or any of the regular net control operators. Thanks!

Net Control: Ed N7PHY WA
Check ins:
KC3NOA Will PA
KT4OZ Terry VA
W8ILL Will MI
KI7RAM Bill NV
K7XPO Brien NM mobile
VK7VWK Randall Tasmania
KN4YFL Charlie MO mobile
K5FCO Francisco TX
KN4QNM Jason VA
W7BR Brent AZ (?)
KS4KLM Kevin VA

Will (KC3NOA) has a collection of radio gear ready for grab-n-go operation. Running (relatively) inexpensive Chinese brand radios and an interesting variety of antennas to cover HF through UHF.
Terry (KT4OZ) talked about the many features of the Kenwood TM-D710 mobile rig, which were backed up by Brien (K7XPO) and others. Probably the most relevant features are built in gps/APRS, dual receive, and ability to cross repeat. Bill (KI7RAM) asked an interesting question about mobile antennas and advantages of length and height. Terry responded with his experience running high gain vs. standard ¼ wave antennas (2 m) in hilly areas. Brien (K7XPO) checked in while traveling the backroads of NM. He carries a couple of yagi antennas (VHF, UHF) along with his SOTA setup when he travels. The rest of us passed on the rigs we run or would like to run. Kevin (KS4KLM) jumped in with a question regarding GMRS radios while off-roading. Brent brought up that OB has guidance on GMRS, CB, and Ham radio frequencies to use while on the trail.

Check out:
OB Approved - Overland Bound Comms Frequency Guide

Reactions: Crispy

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone.
I'll be your net controller for tonight's Overland Bound amateur radio net. Tonight is open topic night; planning any off-road trips? Working on rig upgrades? Or shopping for a new vehicle?
As usual, pretty much anything else will go as well. Hope you can join us.

My apologies for missing this thread last week. Perhaps we can merge the two OB net threads but for now I'll post in both. Thanks!

Time : 17:30 hours PDT/2030 hours EDT
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Another great OB net last night. Thank you everyone who could make it!
It was open topic night but we floated a few questions about future trips, rig upgrades, and new rig shopping. We also asked for net topic ideas and received some really good suggestions. If anybody reading this has topic ideas not mentioned here please leave a comment.

Net Control: Ed N7PHY WA
Announcements: If anyone is interested in helping us with Net Control please leave a message here or PM myself or any of the regular net control operators. Thanks!

Check ins:
KF4YLM Josh VA - Mobile check-in over repeater. No trips planned in near future. Looking at offroad tires for Toyota Sequoya.

W7BR Brent AZ - Been testing remotehams.com which allows remoter operation of other ham folks ham stations. May be a cost with some, allows new hams to try out a band before investing.
Topics: Would like to revisit the food/camp cooking topic.

VA2EEK Don Quebec - Just getting echolink dialed in to join the net. (Welcome!) Getting ready for winter as snow tires are required in his area. Mentioned he takes HF ant off the rig in winter due to salt corrosion.

KF5CO Francisco TX - Been out running 98 grand Cherokee and camping with family. Looking at a new 4Runner.
Topics: Food, navigation tools (gps, maps, phone or tablet?)

K7IEX Tyler AZ - Made an amazing trip to Overland Expo East camping along the way and seeing interesting sites.
Topics: Navigation tools and exploration tools (such as google earth to scope out promising areas), Cooking and specifically skottle recipes. Also power systems and electrical setup in the rig.

KF5UZW Mark TX - Busy October. Been camping and enjoying his Patriot camper. Been pushing Ham radio to non-hams on his outings.
Topic: How about trailer vs. rooftop tent vs. something else?

VK7VWK Randall Australia - Aus experiencing some interesting temperature swings. Interesting to hear about ham radio licensing; planning trip to U.S.
Topic: What are great (non-tourist) overland places to visit in the U.S.?

W8ILL Will MI - Will is doing well and planning for winter.

VK2DY Robert Australia - Planning summer activities which usually start after Christmas. Targets Feb~Mar which is usually quieter.

KE3R Alan Iowa - Checking via DMR from his campsite. Sitting in front of his campfire testing gear and cooking pork chops on the fire.

Reactions: Wotan

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
(...)

KE3R Alan Iowa - Checking via DMR from his campsite. Sitting in front of his campfire testing gear and cooking pork chops on the fire.
Glad I had my 0F Cabelas Outfitters sleeping bag! Temps overnight went into the mid-20s; but the bag plus Mr Buddy kept the RV-3 nice and toasty before tugging in (and getting up in the morning.) But the chop was great! :)

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone.
This evenings net topic was 'New Hams Q&A' which we do every first Friday of the month. It was a great conversation and allowed us to dig into a couple of questions posed about mobile and attic antenna strategies for VHF/UHF.
Something important to mention; with daylight savings time approaching fast the question came up about timing of the net. The net will begin at 17:30 hours pacific time regardless of DST status.
And, as always, If anyone is interested in helping us with Net Control please leave a message here or PM myself or any of the regular net control operators. Thanks!

Ok, on to the notes:
Net Control: W7BR Brent / Ed N7PHY (Joint Effort)
Announcements: None tonight.

Check ins:
W8ILL Will in MI
K5FCO Francisco in TX
K7XPO Brien in AZ
VK7VWK Randall in Australia
KN4PTV Alan in VA (repeater)
W7BR Brent in parts unknown
VK2DY Robert in Australia
KM4GHN Mitch in VA (repeater)
KT4OZ Terry in VA (repeater)

1) Will, W8ILL mentioned the grits-n-gravy conference server is now accessible through D-Star. We will research the node# and post it here. This should give folks yet another way to access the Friday evening net.
2) Francisco, K5FCO has a couple of amateur radio questions for the net. 1) Installing a new mag mount antenna on the vehicle, do I need to us an swr meter to tune it? 2) Thinking about installing an attic antenna to better reach local repeaters. Suggestions?
3) Brien, K7XPO suggested a purchased mag mount antenna will likely be tuned (close enough) to work with out the swr meter, though it's always good to check it if a meter is available. For attic antenna there are many to consider. Recommended is a 1/4 wave ground plane if building one or MFJ1750 if purchasing. J pole good choice and consider the N9TAX slim Jim jpole.
4) Randall, VK7VWK followed up on a question from last week concerning travel to the U.S. Turns out his Australian ham license is reciprocal in the U.S. however he must upgrade to operate in Canada. Randall helped us dig into Francisco's installation a bit deeper, validating the roof material is not metal (for attic antenna) and reiterated it's good to check ant installations with the swr meter to validate cable, connectors, etc.
5) W7BR Brent added another vote for the slim Jim antenna. Slim Jim Info
6) VK2DY Robert checked from metropolitan Sidney Australia where it's 31 deg C.
7) Mitch, KM4GHN checked in from VA where the power is out after a windstorm.
8) Terry KT4OZ checked in as well through the VA repeater.

And one last note; Brien asked the question what we can do to get folks interested in the Friday net. We discussed syncing the net topic with the Overland Bound boot camp articles. If anyone has other ideas feel free to chime in here.

73 and goodnight everybody!
Ed - N7PHY

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tonight. I'll be your net controller for tonight's OPEN TOPIC, so feel free to bring your questions, comments, ideas or anything else you feel like rag chewing about. As usual, pretty much anything goes.

I've noticed some new posts in the Ham Radio Call Sign Check Ins thread lately and would like to extend an open invitation for any new hams or those have never joined us before to please do so. Its a small, but growing group so help us keep it going! If you're not sure about how to use Echolink, @Prerunner1982 wrote up a GREAT how-to on getting started, so click HERE to get up and running!

Until tonight....

Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET

73! Shane, K5TIN

Reactions: Wotan

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
November 8, 2019
Friday OB Net Summary:

Net Control: K5TIN Shane LA

Check-ins:
K5FCO Francisco TX
W8ILL Will MI
K7IEX Tyler AZ
N7PHY Ed WA
N2BBT Bubba Tim FL
KV4UO Joe CA
W2JLD John NY

We had a really interesting net tonight. It was open topic night and we heard about digital radio, a 30 vehicle overland convoy, overlanding trips coming up in FL, raspberry pi's, and so much more.

Thank you Shane K5TIN for being net control and everybody who could join. We hope to catch you on the net next Friday.
If you have topic suggestions please feel free to comment here.

73 - Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Greetings fellow Overlanders,
I hope you can join us on the net tonight as we discuss our favorite camp recipes, travel cooking gear, and anything overland food related.

If you are new to Echolink, @Prerunner1982 wrote up a GREAT how-to on getting started. Click HERE to get up and running!

The net details:

I look forward to meeting up with you tonight.
73 - Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who could make the net this week, we had a great time talking about camp cooking and our favorite food for adventure.

Date: Nov 22, 2019
Net Control: Ed – N7PHY
Topic: Camp cooking and favorite recipes
Emergency Traffic: None
Announcements: We could really use some help with net control duties. If interested please reach out to myself (N7PHY), W7BR, KT4OZ, K5TIN, or WD6TED. Thanks!

Check ins:
K7IEX Tyler AZ USA
KD8JLV Steve OH USA
K5TIN Shane LA USA
K7XPO Brien AZ USA
VK7VWK Randall TAS AU
W7BR Brent WA USA
W8ILL Will MI USA
N4JDL John NC USA
KT4OZ Terry VA USA
VK2DY Robert NSW AU
KK4EWT James VA USA

K7IEX - Like to cook on a tembo tusk skottle (Tembo Tusk – Innovations for the Road Less Traveled) picked up at expo east. Trying recipes in free skottle cookbook available from tembo tusk. Fan of breakfast food. Throw everything together recipes are also good. Recently saw dirty steak cooked on coals or fire. White hot coals. Have not tried but has anyone tried? K7XPO replied, yes has seen in Sedona from south African overlanding crew. Blew on coals to make hot, 3-4 min each side. Looked good.

KD8JLV - Second what Tyler said about the tembo tusk skottle. Bought one at expo east 2016, huge fan. Tried other methods including camp stove, etc. Roll with between 6 and 8 (skottles) for big meals. Success with Mexican food variety. Not sure about dirty steak but open to giving it a try. Appreciate talking about real cooking. In the past fell into trap of making miles to not burning daylight but now enjoy taking time to prepare and eat with folks. Do a lot of cooking in cast iron, especially a Dutch oven. First started with Boy Scouts first then family. Q: Where are the OB net forum threads?

K5TIN – Had a big catfish dinner before net so not hungry this time. Keep it simple. Eat light, especially anything that goes in tortilla. Has tried something like dirty steak. Like rice-based jambalaya; good for large group and a little goes long way. Works well in a Dutch oven. Jambalaya can be soup in different parts of country; not right, should be rice based.

K7XPO - No new recipes since last time we discussed camp food but reminded of the mayo and bananas sandwich. Going to make one during the net and report back on round two. For camp stoves Brien likes Cook Partner brand. (https://partnersteel.com/cook-partner)
Round two report – the mayo banana sandwich was ok. Thinks banana just a bit too ripe but ok. Will try slightly less mayo next time. (Well done Brien!)

VK7VWK – Have not had a chance to cook in wild recently. Main thing is to keep it simple. Dirty steak idea is interesting. It’s common to cook on coals in Australia. Have made a loaf of bread on coals; dough in coals and shake it off when done. Whole fish on coals is good also.

W7BR – Something not done for a long time is to purchase oysters in shell. Open at campfire; grill, raw, with garlic sauce or hot sauce. Was fun doing this on the beach. Have campfire grill from Cabela’s which works great and packs away in a small package. (Adjust-A-Grill : Cabela's)

W8ILL – Will mixes butter, rice crispies, cheerios and nuts in a cast iron skillet over the fire to make a delicious ‘chex mix’ type snack.

KT4OZ – Peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich was good. Last weekend had Cajun jambalaya made on camp stove. Quite a good dish. For breakfast time got out great grandmothers’ percolator to make coffee. Ready for camp use. Coleman stove junkie! Have new stove given to him. 50's model. Round two: Gained 5 lbs listening to net tonight. Interest in camp cooking started in college with hotdogs on sticks over campfire with pop tarts for breakfast. Watched older fellas cooking elaborate meals and picked up and started to enjoy cooking. Enjoy steak on cast iron skillet over camp stove with salt and pepper, crispy around edges, little pink on inside. As far as jambalaya, it was authentic - NO TOMATOES. Favorite ways for pork chops is with little chili powder. Watch cooking time only have 3 sec when they are actually done before they dry out. Big fan of cast iron cookware. Own several from 4" skillet up to 14" Griswold inherited from great grandparents.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Good Evening Overlanding Ham Radio Enthusiasts,

I'll be your net control Friday, I hope you can join us. This week we'll be asking "what cool overland gear would you like Santa to bring you?"
If anybody knows of a killer 'Black Friday' deal we can share those too!

The net details:

If you are new to Echolink, @Prerunner1982 wrote up a GREAT how-to on getting started. Click HERE to get up and running!

Everybody, I wish you a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!
73 - Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone joining the Overland Bound Ham net this week. Our topic was "what cool overland gear would you like Santa to bring you?" We had an interesting discussion about overland gear and learned about the upcoming expo in Colorado.

Date: Nov 29, 2019
Net Control: Ed – N7PHY
Topic: OB gear wish list
Emergency / Priority Traffic: Request from W8ILL, Will to leave more time between key downs. Folks were unable to check in last week.
Announcements: Looking for help with net control duties. If interested please reach out to myself (N7PHY), W7BR, KT4OZ, K5TIN, or WD6TED. Thanks!

Check ins:
W7BR Brent WA
KD8JLV Steve OH
W8ILL Will MI
KE4GIV Jim VA
ND5Y Tom TX
N7PHY Ed WA
VK2DY Robert Australia

Wish Lists:
W7BR - already received new tires for the EC, hub repair, and scorpion antenna. Also, learned of new expo for 2020 in Colorado.
KD8JLV - Looking at small led lights from REI (trail hound?) for the awning and some ham gear like the FT400. Been to expo east twice and also like smokey mountain rally. Studying for general class exam and working with kids to get tech license. Ham family!
W8ILL - Has a new MFJ antenna analyzer that is working great. Building antennas for HF and helping out at Walmart.
KE4GIV - No black Friday frenzy. Building out pickup truck but too many things on the list to pick one. Understand roof rack search dilemma, looking at popup shell type; vagabond and snap treehouse for low profile.
ND5Y - Looking to pick up a computer, laptop, raspberry pi and interface to build an allstar node.
N7PHY - Struggling to find a roof rack and decide how to build out the pickup truck.
VK2DY - Big wish, decent 4WD vehicle.

Thanks again everyone. Hope you can join us next Friday for the 'new hams' questions and answers net.
Have a great weekend!
Ed

Reactions: CMac and TerryD