First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone,
I'll be your net control tomorrow evening. For a topic I'd like to discuss tire air-down and air-up. Do you air down? How much? To air up do you use a portable or permanently installed compressor? Or maybe Co2?
Of course, anything else related to overlanding and ham radio is welcome.

Net Details:
Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

If anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to myself, @ru108, @TerryD , @Brentc17 or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We definitely could use the assistance.

Hope you can make it. 73!

Ed, N7PHY

Last edited:

Unbound4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leander, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6UXD
@12poundtest,

Not sure what is going on for EchoLink for me tonight but it dropped me and I can not reconnect. I sent you my check-in and info If you want to read it to everyone.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

@12poundtest,

Not sure what is going on for EchoLink for me tonight but it dropped me and I can not reconnect. I sent you my check-in and info If you want to read it to everyone.
I had the same problem at the beginning of the net. Might have been a network problem. I did not lose DMR so it was specific to EchoLink. It did come back up for me, keep trying to reconnect.

Unbound4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leander, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6UXD
I had the same problem at the beginning of the net. Might have been a network problem. I did not lose DMR so it was specific to EchoLink. It did come back up for me, keep trying to reconnect.
I have been trying ever since I was dropped. I am using the iPhone app so I don't tie up any local repeaters.

View attachment 141157

Last edited:

Unbound4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leander, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6UXD
I just got a call from the admin AB5JK. He said its a routing issue on EchoLink's side and gave me a few other options that wont work because I am behind a company firewall. Maybe next time everyone. 73

Reactions: TerryD

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Anyone interested in my Air Up/Down system you can find it starting on page 5 in my build thread in my signature below. If you air up as often as I do it is well worth the time turning 20 minutes doing all 4 tires into less than 6 minutes. If you have any question feel free to ask me.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone for a great net last night. I'm sorry there were some echolink issues for some of you. We'll have to figure that out.
We had 21 check-ins and quite a bit of knowledge was shared. Below are my notes. Please feel free to make corrections or additions.
Hope to catch you next Friday.
73!
Ed - N7PHY

AE4JA John VA Mechanic for living. Working on wife's explorer, springs. Co2 for airing up tires. Downside is freeze up. Working on diesel suburban. Air break comp setup. Final loosing repeater.

KE8AYE Jason OH Inexpensive air compressor. Can get <$30 compressor. Takes 4 min per tire. Air down 5-7 lbs to 25lbs. Use inexpensive air comp. Does not air down too far, no need to air up much. Something to consider.

K7CHM Casey AZ
Keep about 30 lbs. Will drop 10 lbs for rock trail. Cheap amazon compressor ($60)

KJ7EXK Dana WY
Tacoma truck. Run 32 psi. Drop to about 20 psi. Bought vi-air compressor. Works pretty quickly, couple min per tire. Ran about $150. 12V clip to batter terminals. Upgraded hose and gauge. Important to be able to deflate quickly as well.

NB9D Neil ME
truck has auto deflation system, meaning all tires leak air. :) Use harbor freight air compressor.

W8ILL Will MI Carry Walmart compressor for emergency air up. Running some type of running board / slider to provide tire protection as well. Make sure break lines are covered up.

KJ7KPP Colton ID Interesting topic, learning things. Q: waterproof HT? KE8AYE – Yaesu quad bander and midland has FRS waterproof units.

KV4UO Joe TN Vehicle issues. In pro e-sports. Concurs with Yaesu submersible radio. Riding on pro bmx since 99.

K7IEX Tyler AZ Recently went from one to another extreme. Carry tire repair kit. Started with $30 air comp. Generally didn’t air down. This past new years camped in snow for traction (18psi). Took 30 min to air back up. Upgraded to onboard compressor and larger tires running 40 psi. Can go from 20 to 40 psi in 3 min. Recommend ‘my offroad radio’ morrflate kit. Premade hose to hook to tires at once. If don’t have compressor consider picking up at least a cheap one.

AB5JK Jimi TX Please contact Jimi – net control ops. Also, has information for anyone looking for alternate ways to get into system.

KB6JJR Randy CA Have not deflated yet. Bought deflator and inexpensive compressor. Plan to retire in 3 mo to spend more time outdoors. Also has Yeasu submersible HT.

KT4OZ Terry VA
Have friends that run 5-7 psi with bias plly tires. I run 10 psi on blazer. Used co2 system at the time. Soda fountain canister with regulator. Moving to overlanding switched to radials have lowered to 15 psi at most. Went to ARB 12V compressor but still in box. Have masterflow 1050. Moderate air up times. Adjusting pressures. Run 35psi on street. Up to near 40psi when loaded heavy. Air down less when heavy.

VK7VWK Randall Tasmania
No compressor at this time. Looking at portable compressor. Soviet ladder has onboard air, handpump under the hood.

K7XPO Brien AZ
Was running superflow md50. Stopped working. Going to AirB dual mounted under hood but researching. Calling out MORR flate tire inflator kit as an awesome accessory. Can build yourself. For deflator, use valve core removal tool for super fast deflator.

K1CJM Charles NV Running 35x12.5x17 air downed to 20 psi. Air down pretty much every time. Softer ride, better traction. Sharp rocks in area. Run sierra 2 with backup air pump. Takes 6 min to air up. Can plug all 4 tires to one system to air up at once. Can get gas tanks for $100 then pick up regulators, etc. Whole vehicle is plumbed with air lines.

M0JFE John UK Finding combo and offer up deals on compressors. Took trip from scotland to darby, beautiful trip.

KC8FQE Mark OH Greetings from Ohio

KB4AUL Frank VA
Rough copy over repeater but was able to get checked in.

N2AO John NE First time on net.

KF4YLM Josh VA
Assisting with Roanoke VA repeater.

W6UXD Mike CA Echolink issues but able to check in through forum thread.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
Hi everyone,

I just passed my HAM technician exam and am waiting for my CS. Until then I am trying to learn as much as possible. I would love to join the HAMNET but am a little confused. I saw the link to the internet that allows people to listen but not speak. I also saw posts about using specific repeaters but warnings regarding locking up repeaters.

Can you make a sticky post with different options and directions on how we can participate or listen to the weekly HAMNET? I am sure there are other newbies out there that don’t quite get the options available to us.

thanks,

kenny

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi everyone,

I just passed my HAM technician exam and am waiting for my CS. Until then I am trying to learn as much as possible. I would love to join the HAMNET but am a little confused. I saw the link to the internet that allows people to listen but not speak. I also saw posts about using specific repeaters but warnings regarding locking up repeaters.

Can you make a sticky post with different options and directions on how we can participate or listen to the weekly HAMNET? I am sure there are other newbies out there that don’t quite get the options available to us.

thanks,

kenny
Congratulations Kenny!
I think there is a Echolink basics page here but am not finding it. I'll dig around for it but for now, the quick answers are:
  • To use Echolink directly, you need to register with your amateur radio call sign. This will allow you to use the application over the internet to connect to the 'node' on Friday nights to join the net.
  • Everyone is welcome to listen in over www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web .
  • There are a few repeaters linked to the Echolink node for the net so we use proper radio procedures, even if just communicating via our computers. This includes identifying with our callsigns and pausing to allow repeaters to drop (repeaters will time out if transmitting too long).
  • You might find a few answers in these threads.

Look forward to hearing on the net soon!
Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
Congratulations Kenny!
I think there is a Echolink basics page here but am not finding it. I'll dig around for it but for now, the quick answers are:
  • To use Echolink directly, you need to register with your amateur radio call sign. This will allow you to use the application over the internet to connect to the 'node' on Friday nights to join the net.
  • Everyone is welcome to listen in over www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web .
  • There are a few repeaters linked to the Echolink node for the net so we use proper radio procedures, even if just communicating via our computers. This includes identifying with our callsigns and pausing to allow repeaters to drop (repeaters will time out if transmitting too long).
  • You might find a few answers in these threads.

Look forward to hearing on the net soon!
Ed - N7PHY
Thanks Ed,

I’m still waiting for my call sign so once I get it I’ll try logging in to Echolink. I look forward to being once step deeper into the overlanding world!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hi everyone,

thanks,

kenny
If you want to use the Echolink app like many of us do, hopefully this may help as well. Echolink App (Android)

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tomorrow night. The topic this week will be your take on "Out of town in 20 minutes (or less)" Basically, how do you (or do you?) have your gear staged or stored for easy access and how long do you generally take to gear up and head out for a weekend or longer? I'm NOT looking to center the conversation along doomsday/SJHTF and we gotta bug out NOW lines, but with the Corona virus thing going on and seemingly gaining some traction, this might also be a timely discussion for anyone who hasn't put any planning into "What if?". As some of you know, I'm a retired LEO and currently work as an Investigator for a local Coroner's Office, so the public heath and safety angle has been something that's been discussed around the office a bit lately.

If you're not sure about how to use Echolink, a GREAT how-to article on getting started can be found HERE to get you up and running!

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to myself, @12poundtest , @TerryD , @Brentc17 or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We could use a few extra hands running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Until then...73!

Shane, K5TIN

Reactions: MTN RNR and TerryD