camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham and GMRS requires a licenses.

CB and FSR does not require a license.

Where is the FSR channel/frequency for those who do not have a Ham and or a GMRS license?

The GMRS channel is 15 but you do not confirm the frequency or if a CTCSS/DCS is used?

Reactions: Mogwai

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Ham and GMRS requires a licenses.

CB and FSR does not require a license.

Where is the FSR channel/frequency for those who do not have a Ham and or a GMRS license?

The GMRS channel is 15 but you do not confirm the frequency or if a CTCSS/DCS is used?
GMRS 15 is also FRS 15.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
GMRS you need a license. FSR you do not need a license. You answer is confusing. I'll ask again what is the frequency?
I am not Kenneth, so I do not know the frequency.

I do know if I turn my FRS radio to channel 15, I will hear OB folks using GMRS 15.

So to answer your question, FRS folks should use FRS 15.

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Just to throw this in the loop. FRS 15 is 2watt and GMRS 15 is 50watt max. with tones is a repeater output channel. FCC requires anything over I believe 5 watts to have a lic. So they can co mingle on the sam Freq. but if we are on GMRS and get to much interference you as a group on a trip can change that ch to something that works better. All these channels are starting points.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Not sure how you came up with that. From YOUR link:

The FRS is authorized 22 channels in the 462 MHz and 467 MHz range, all of which are shared with GMRS

For folks that do not know, FRS/GMRS was re-banded last year. They now share the same channels.
So, OLB is recommending to use the GMRS 462.550 where you need a license, correct? Not recommending to use the FSR 462.550 where you do not need a licenses, correct? If OLB is suggesting to use 462.550 then OLB should explain and be clear to its members how to use the frequency 462.550 with out a license and explain how to use the frequency with a license. Other wise you are going to set up members to use the 462.550 frequency illegally.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
So far no one has answered the question if you need a license or not to use the frequency 462.550.
That depends upon the radio you are using.

You are overthinking this. FRS does not require a license, if you do not want to get HAM or GMRS license, get a CB or FRS radio.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
So, OLB is recommending to use the GMRS 462.550 where you need a license, correct? Not recommending to use the FSR 462.550 where you do not need a licenses, correct? If OLB is suggesting to use 462.550 then OLB should explain and be clear to its members how to use the frequency 462.550 with out a license and explain how to use the frequency with a license. Other wise you are going to set up members to use the 462.550 frequency illegally.
Stop with the frequencies. You cannot program frequencies into an FRS/GMRS radio. FRS/GMRS are channel oriented. OB is recommending GMRS 15. I am recommending you use FRS channel 15 if you do not have GMRS.

And it is FRS not FSR.

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Just to throw this in the loop. FRS 15 is 2watt and GMRS 15 is 50watt max. with tones is a repeater output channel. FCC requires anything over I believe 5 watts to have a lic. So they can co mingle on the sam Freq. but if we are on GMRS and get to much interference you as a group on a trip can change that ch to something that works better. All these channels are starting points.
Ken, OLB should be clear to its members on how to use the frequency 462.550. You and I both know you can use FSR 462.550 with out a licence and you can use GMRS 462.550 with a license. I feel OLB could be setting up its members by not explaining the differences.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@brien is in the process of developing the very info you are asking for and this should be out in a reasonable amount of time.
Thanks for you input but you need to realize it took a long time to get to his point, so yes some clarification needs to be made and it will be made.

Reactions: RainGoat and WTAGP

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

That depends upon the radio you are using.

You are overthinking this. FRS does not require a license, if you do not want to get HAM or GMRS license, get a CB or FRS radio.
I'm not over thinking it. I'm stating OLB is going to confuse its members by just stating GMRS channel 15. FRS 462.550 does not require a license if you follow the correct regulations/rules. Has OLB made that clear to its members? No OLB has not. Has OLB made it clear to it members the regulations/rules to use GMRS 462.550 legaly? No it has not. I have my GMRS and HAM licences. I have the ability to legally communicate on Ham, GMRS, FSR, and CB.

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@brien is in the process of developing the very info you are asking for and this should be out in a reasonable amount of time.
Thanks for you input but you need to realize it took a long time to get to his point, so yes some clarification needs to be made and it will be made.
That would be fair to you members. You and I know reading the rules and regs is and can be confusing at times. I think I get it.....but I'm not really sure.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
I'm not over thinking it. I'm stating OLB is going to confuse its members by just stating GMRS channel 15. FRS 462.550 does not require a license if you follow the correct regulations/rules. Has OLB made that clear to its members? No OLB has not. Has OLB made it clear to it members the regulations/rules to use GMRS 462.550 legaly? No it has not. I have my GMRS and HAM licences. I have the ability to legally communicate on Ham, GMRS, FSR, and CB.
Again, nobody programs frequencies into FRS/GMRS radio. It is channel oriented like CB.

I thought it was obvious HAM/GMRS required licenses and CB/FRS did not. Maybe some folks did not know this, so yeah folks should know if they buy a HAM/GMRS radio they will need a license. If they buy CB/FRS they will not.

I will be sure to spread the word. thx.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
That would be fair to you members. You and I know reading the rules and regs is and can be confusing at times. I think I get it.....but I'm not really sure.
We should have something soon, he is already working on it.