Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hey gang,

Michael (@administrator) spent the weekend getting the home page and forum secured from a hack. As of early this morning, it looks as if almost everything is back as it was. Any posts made yesterday on the temporary backup may be missing, so if you created a new post or replied to an existing one, be sure to add it again on this latest backup.

A huge "THANK YOU" to Michael and @Corrie for keeping us going and working through the weekend to get this straightened out. We support your efforts and the Overland Bound ethos, and are here to offer whatever help we can.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Yes, WELL DONE, Michael and Corrie!!!

Having a whole site down is not fun. Thanks for sticking with it and for all of the great things you do for us! :sunglasses:

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hey gang,

Michael (@administrator) spent the weekend getting the home page and forum secured from a hack. As of early this morning, it looks as if almost everything is back as it was. Any posts made yesterday on the temporary backup may be missing, so if you created a new post or replied to an existing one, be sure to add it again on this latest backup.

A huge "THANK YOU" to Michael and @Corrie for keeping us going and working through the weekend to get this straightened out. We support your efforts and the Overland Bound ethos, and are here to offer whatever help we can.

Hear Hear! I found myself checking progress every hour. I really missed not being able to acccess. I must be an OB Addict!

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Great job Michael and Corrie...and thank you especially for giving up your weekend to fix this, believe me...it is appreciated. In addition ,,,a big thank you to Steve for the updates along the way that helped keep us informed of the progress. Now to get my OB fix!! LOL!!

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ok. Wifey forum rant time in 3. 2. 1....

Did @administrator mention that we were also moving this past weekend? In the midst of the hacker bringing down the site, we were trying to box up our entire life. Each attack was Michael 3-4 hours glued to the keyboard. We are STILL packing from this loss of Michael's time.

Did I mention that every message telling us the site was hacked made my heart drop into my stomach? But it was kinda worse. The whole feeling was more like 'heart drop into stomach then get kicked in the gut after eating a 2 entree Mexican dinner at a questionable Chevys'.

I was so turned inside out by the attacks that the Warriors loss to the Spurs on Saturday night didn't even phase me. (But thank god they pulled it together tonight against the Timberwolves. Sorry not sorry for your home state @NorthStar96 #gowarriors)

And here's the flipside.

One person did this to us. I have no idea who. We have no idea why. Maybe they took a look around and decided to make our lives miserable. Because they hate overlanding...? Because they could...? Because their childhood was awful...? Who knows.

And my heart breaks for this person. I feel sorry for him. I really do. (Michael is not on the same page as me about this.)

If I could sit across a table from him, I would say hello and introduce myself, and then I would ask him why. And I would ask 'why' because I don't think he knows why. Bragging rights? Thrill? To teach strangers a lesson? What? This person took down the heart and hard work of my husband and doesn't even know us. WTF?

Ok. Here's what I know. The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in people. And Michael and I are stronger for this one person inflicting his insecurities and wounds directly into our lives. Our plans for how our weekend and move have been f*cked, but we adjust. It's hard and it hurts, but we grab some zip ties and a good attitude and we ADJUST.

And I also know the anonymity of the internet brings out the best in people. Like this community. You guys are rock solid and genuine and kind and awesome and knowledgable and open. And you are only your avatar and your word.

THANK YOU.

Ok. I think my rant is over. This weekend has been a raw one, and we've been challenged, but we're still here and you're reading this post.

And did I mention you guys rock?

xoxox

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Reactions: Steve

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

The most likely answers to the question of why are unfortunately anything but satisfying. We see this a lot in the SaaS world. The first explanation is a former employee or in this case patron, who felt alienated when they departed (seems unlikely here). The other, practice. The OB site isn't on old tech. It's on tech that a lot of larger business still use for various purposes. A hacker never practices on the main target. If they do, then they risk alerting the target and causing them to harden the site and increase security. Pretty lame and unromantic but it's what we see most in the industry.

Reactions: Michael