Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

If you are looking for some good easy to moderate trails, explore the forestry trunk road (Hwy 40 or the old 940 on some maps) west of Chain Lakes, Alberta. There are plenty of trails that run close to the Oldman River, Livingston River, Dutch Creek and Racehorse Creek. With some really good random (primitive) camp spots and some really good flyfishing. Check out my youtube channel (Cappy GoPro) for some videos of the area.

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

Cappy - are you with a wheeling club in Alberta? I am new to this and was looking for some trail company. I am from Calgary.
What do you drive? There is a Jeep club called the Jeep Junkies in Calgary that I am part of. They wheel alot in McLean and Waiparous. But I like to find some easy to moderate trails to ride and camp over night on. If you are interested, I can let you know when I head out next exploring.

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

Cappy - are you with a wheeling club in Alberta? I am new to this and was looking for some trail company. I am from Calgary.
Oh, and I don't care what you drive, its getting out that is important.

Paul Beattie

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yep. 15 4runner. I have been to both waiperous and mclean for some easy to moderate stuff - last weekend went for a drive to sibbald Creek Trail. A few weeks ago did the Smith Dorrian trail.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Limestone Mountain is a nice little run too...

The Transalta Run was nice when I did it - easy run:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7WHs9-JwgTgw8bsuGAC705B82CYxzjaC

Baseline Mountain is good too - but you'll get scratched up while going up.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7WHs9-JwgTjx3Z5AzmbAG34Q-OTO6SXK
some of the other videos are from a "pipeline run" across the road.

If you're interested in going further North..
Brazeau Spillway - currently my favorite - a great way to play and experiment with the limits of yourself as a driver and of your rig.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7WHs9-JwgTiMfKKFco4U1fzM9WOHuCuj
and
I've got a lot of videos to put together on this run (winter project).

J

Jonovision

Yep. 15 4runner. I have been to both waiperous and mclean for some easy to moderate stuff - last weekend went for a drive to sibbald Creek Trail. A few weeks ago did the Smith Dorrian trail.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
check us out @ forum.teaoa.ca

Reactions: Matthew Johnston

Jason Clark

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Calgary Alberta Canada
Member #

If you are looking for some good easy to moderate trails, explore the forestry trunk road (Hwy 40 or the old 940 on some maps) west of Chain Lakes, Alberta. There are plenty of trails that run close to the Oldman River, Livingston River, Dutch Creek and Racehorse Creek. With some really good random (primitive) camp spots and some really good flyfishing. Check out my youtube channel (Cappy GoPro) for some videos of the area.
Might have to pick your brain for a few primitive spots this summer. Was hoping for this weekend but darn weather!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using OB Talk mobile app

carter.plett

Rank 0

Traveler I

Portage la Prairie, MB, Canada
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Plett
Hey Cappy It's me! Im the guy with the grand Cherokee you met me at the McDonald's a couple weeks back and since then I've gotten out a couple times. Just this past weekend my buddies and I headed out to that same area west of the chain lakes, found a couple fun little trails and then ended up setting up camp just south of the winter closure gates. You were totally right, it's a fantastic area, beautiful scenery and we had a blast camping out there especially now that it's warming up. Thanks for the suggestion and yah to anybody else reading this, definitely check out the area. West of chain lakes up highway 40, you won't regret it!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jason Clark

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Calgary Alberta Canada
Member #

Hey Cappy It's me! Im the guy with the grand Cherokee you met me at the McDonald's a couple weeks back and since then I've gotten out a couple times. Just this past weekend my buddies and I headed out to that same area west of the chain lakes, found a couple fun little trails and then ended up setting up camp just south of the winter closure gates. You were totally right, it's a fantastic area, beautiful scenery and we had a blast camping out there especially now that it's warming up. Thanks for the suggestion and yah to anybody else reading this, definitely check out the area. West of chain lakes up highway 40, you won't regret it!

Was just looking at that area on Google! What road did you use to get over to the 40? I know the 532 is closed in the winter, did you have to head down to maycroft provincial area and then over? Thanks in advance

carter.plett

Rank 0

Traveler I

Portage la Prairie, MB, Canada
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Plett
Was just looking at that area on Google! What road did you use to get over to the 40? I know the 532 is closed in the winter, did you have to head down to maycroft provincial area and then over? Thanks in advance

Hey Jason, we just went 22 south and then the first turn south of the Old Man River is a township road that takes you all the way to the Forestry Trunk Road, driving out in the morning was spectacular along that road too.

Jason Clark

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Calgary Alberta Canada
Member #

Hey Jason, we just went 22 south and then the first turn south of the Old Man River is a township road that takes you all the way to the Forestry Trunk Road, driving out in the morning was spectacular along that road too.

Excellent that's exactly the one I thought you were using. Maybe see you out there this weekend if we're both lucky