Forester XT build - Overland/Bugout

• HTML tutorial

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Hi all, finally decided to start a build thread on my 2014 Subaru Forester XT. Here's the current setup:

Exterior:
Color: Dark Metallic Grey
Tyger Cargo Roof basket
Subaru aero roof rails
Piaa plasma yellow DRL/hi's
Piaa night Tech lows
Morimoto led fog lights
Diode dynamics license plate led
Plastidip front grille

Wheels/Suspension:
Black power coat on stock wheels
255/55r18 Toyo Open Country AT2
1.5" lift
Whiteline RSB with endlinks

Engine:
Torco fluids

To do list:
Install light bar
Wheel spacers
Window tint
Upgrade to LED low beams

I'll post more pics however here's a couple for now:

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Couple questions:

Anyone use Torco oil?

The car is ready for its 60k maintenance, what spark plugs, diff oil, do you guys recommend?

WJ_Cody

Rank 0

Contributor I

Never tried Torco oil. I've always found Mobil-1 to work well for me and keep things running well. As long as it's full-synthetic, I'm sure it'll work.

As far as plugs and diff oil, I'd ask the Subaru guys. Those things are really particular to your motor and trans, so best to find what's recommended by people with the same vehicle and setup. A good example: most people would think that more expensive Iridium plugs would improve performance on a motor, but the 4.7 in my Grand Cherokee runs best on plain old copper plugs.

Reactions: Vyscera

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Absolutely! Though if you search around some, you should be able to find lots of shared experiences.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thanks all. So far Torco oil has been good. Engine feels more responsive to too the acceleration.

Gave the engine its first bath.

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Hi, nice build! I had an 08 WRX, 16 WRX and now 17 FXT. My 08 and 16, I used Mobile-1 synthetic, just ran my first oil change in the fxt (free dealership one) so I'll be switching after. Have you run into any carbon issues on the valves? I heard it happens around the 60k mark on the dit engine. I haven't hit that on either the wrx or fxt yet though.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thanks @odingrey!

the service tech didn't say anything about carbon issues on the valves. However he did say that my bushings are next on the list to be replaced.

Today I had to go back to the wheels and tires shop to trim the rear inner fender linings. Nothing major just wanted the rubbing to go away from shock and wheel articulation.

Plans for the weekend is to vinyl wrap my fairing, mount my roof basket and install lightbar (if not to lazy)...

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

That's funny, small world! We moved down here earlier this year. I've noticed a surprising amount of overlanders in the bay area. Noticed this Jurassic Park Xterra (or at least one really close to it) driving down the 237 a week or two ago.

Reactions: krzyboy2o

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Ohhhh most definitely. Not going to touch the engine despite really badly wanting to, all in the name of reliability. Am planning some AT tires soon with an offboard full sized spare held by something like this. A few other small things, mostly in the name of recovery and then stopping there. I decided I didn't want to get any mods until I can demonstrate the need for them, so lifts and underbody armor may come from that. In the late future, I'd love to either build a trailer, buy a jumping jack or teardrop, or build a camp kitchen and get an oz tent or something like it. For now, we're just using our camping gear.

So as far as the area goes, we've focused a lot of our time in Stanislaus. Have you found more areas around here to drive?

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

How funnny I was just looking at Wilco earlier today

And got a an email from the sales manager. Maybe we can do a bulk purchase!?

I'm the same way with the engine.

Haven't been off road since the tire and lift set, however, there's and OHV park in Hollister (43miles south of me) which I've yet to check out.

Other than that, I usually go to Yosemite.

Reactions: Flipper

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

That's pretty funny. I was just about to email them too. The 17s have backup sensors on the bumper I'm worried about. That and the backup camera that might need to move. Apparently they are in LA, so I wonder if it's an option to go down there and have them make something up. Good for them and us since they can start selling to Foresters specific.

I like Yosemite, we were planning on going this month, but ended up not due to lazy. I've heard Hollister is pretty good, but not great for camping. Might be a good place to hang out and play off road though! There's a trail in Stanislaus I want to hit up next summer called Corral Hollow Trail. We were south of that in Sandbar flats and loved the area.

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Good find, I echo some of their concerns. Rattling drives me bonkers, but if it's something I can pull off, or doesn't rattle, that's not a big deal. My car is my DD, so I don't want to go super nuts on aftermarket stuff, so a hitch mount seems like the perfect solution.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I notice those "scratches" on my roof. First of all, No they are not scratches....I guess I left my moonroof open while parked under a pine tree. Any idea how to get these out aside from using compressed air?

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Is it between the glass and the sunscreen? I can't tell.

Btw, do you have any recommendations for mechanics in the area?