Forester XT build - Overland/Bugout

• HTML tutorial

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Summer is around the corner! Back to the build. Been a while since I last posted. Between business trips, deploying a global service at work and the fam I can continue on my overland build.

New items:
Bosch Icon wipers
Costco front seat covers
Torco fluids

To do's:
Wire the light bar
Check out hollister hills
Yosemite trip

@odingrey how's the Forester running? Did the tranny repair go as planned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup worked out great! Turns out the old one was making a pretty strange noise that I just chalked up to "CVT". New one sounds perfect and honestly feels stronger than the other.

I'm interested in how you're going to wire up the light bar, specifically the switch on the inside. There's a few dead switches in all 14+ foresters I've been wanting to take advantage of with a light bar.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I'll most likely put the switch here to fill in one of the blanks. It's easy access to the fuse panel and can use the same firewall grommet from the fogs.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Did some pre- planning this morning trying to figure out how to wire my light bar.

In short gonna run the wire down the left windshield. There's a channel I can follow down to the engine bay.

Once I hit the top on the engine bay, (near the wiper) gonna drill a small hold in the plastic cover and feed the wires through.

From there run the wires along the back engine and to the batt.

It prolly doesn't make much sense in writing but here's some pics to help.

Questions:

Best connectors to splice wires? Butt or wire nuts?

Can I use RTV silicone down the window to secure the wires down?

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Questions:

Best connectors to splice wires? Butt or wire nuts?

Can I use RTV silicone down the window to secure the wires down?
I don't like wire nuts for automotive wiring. Some folks insist on soldering, but I have had excellent results using high quality butt connectors (try a marine supply store), a quality ratcheting crimp tool, and dipping both ends of the stripped wires in conductive grease (electrical supply store) before crimping, to keep water out and oxidation away.
41LPCfJRQXL._Sjkfdrr.jpg

RTV to secure the wires? I'm rooting for you, but doubtful it would hold up with the UV exposure.

Good to see some CUV builds. TR

Last edited:

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thanks @fugitive!

Did more research.

I'll be using marine grade butt connectors.

Along with marine grade heat shrink tubing. The tubing will be used to combine the light bar wires (3 strands) into one single line.

Ancor 309125 Marine Grade Electrical Nylon Insulated Adhesive Lined Heat Shrink Butt Connectors (16 to 14-Gauge, 25-Pack)
Ancor 303148 Marine Grade Electrical Adhesive Lined Heat Shrink Tubing (1/4-Inch Diameter, 48-Inches Long, Black)

Reactions: OuterLimits

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Looks like I have lots to do the next couple weekends. Planning to Pismo Beach in August for my sons bball tournament.

I've always wanted to drive on the beach but scared to get stuck being newbie off-roader. Any tips is greatly appreciated!

Already looking at maxtrax, tow hooks/straps, and full size spare.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Not my best spray paint job but it'll do!

Much Thanks to @Trev4vis for the skid plate!

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Install was a little challenging being a one man team. But overall doable with some patience and a good beer! I'll post a video of the install after I'm done editing out all the curse words.

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Looks like I have lots to do the next couple weekends. Planning to Pismo Beach in August for my sons bball tournament.

I've always wanted to drive on the beach but scared to get stuck being newbie off-roader. Any tips is greatly appreciated! Already looking at maxtrax, tow hooks/straps, and full size spare
Pismo and the dunes are a blast. The Soobie should do just fine. I have been there twice. I saw more stuck vehicles along the beach than in the dunes. Some of this is due to the beach drivers not bothering to air down. The upper beach sand also seems softer and more rutted than in the dunes. I saw a few street cars get high centered on the beach ruts.

My advice:

Get a deflator and air down to 18 PSI. The solid axle folks often have to go down to 12 PSI to eliminate wheel hop.

deflate.jpg

It's best to go with a buddy. If you get stuck, your buddy can pull you out with a snatch strap.

Stay out of the ruts near the beach. Drive in the firmer sand closer to the water, but I'd advise not giving into the temptation of driving in the water. Salt water will get in places and on things that will lead to corrosion. That said, I always do a thorough under carriage and engine rinse when I get home.

In the dunes I kept it in 1st or 2nd gear, to keep the engine in its power band. Can't risk bogging down if things suddenly go soft.

I recommend a recovery strap (not a tow strap). A recovery strap has some give to it to prevent damaging your car. It stretches like a rubber band, builds up energy, then pulls you out. Don't get one that's over spec'd. It won't stretch enough with your light weight car. Get a strap rated 2-3 times the gross weight of your car. When pulling, the recovery strap should be rated 2-3 times the weight of the lighter of the two vehicles.

Get a rated D ring shackle, to attach the snatch strap to your vehicle. I use a 20ft tow strap as a bridle on the front of my Escape. This distributes the load over two recovery points. I just run the tow strap through the eye of the snatch strap, then attach the two ends of the tow strap to the two front recovery points.

On the rear, I have a trailer hitch and use a receiver mounted D-ring shackle.

hitch shackle.jpg

Bring a shovel to dig out or prep for sand boards.

There are lots of options for sand boards. I picked up Traction Jacks.
Click on the link for a summary of why I went with TJ.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/posts/108591/

tj4.jpg
tj2.jpg
tj3.jpg
tj1.jpg
Pick up a sand flag and zip tie it to your roof rack. They have flags available in Grover Beach on Grand Ave. To save a few bucks, I picked up a $6 bike flag at wally world.

Here's a write up of my first Pismo/Oceano Dunes outing in my Escape.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/171341-2005-Ford-Escape-e-x-Build?p=2302546#post2302546

eIMG_0724.jpg

Have fun and be sure to air back up before you get back on the freeway. You can use your own 12v compressor, or stop at a gas station on Grand Ave.

P.S. Fin's has great fish-n-chips and exceptional clam chowder when you are done playing in the sand.

Cheers, TR

Last edited:

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

They are all pretty much the same as long as you get a class three. They all mount to the same three points.

I got the Curt hitch on Amazon because it was stupid cheap compared to the ecohitch, same quality and out of all the hitches, hung the closest to the bumper (meaning less of a loss of departure angle).

I even got mine slightly used, it looks like they tried to install it and gave up, only a few scratches on the steel... Ended up costing just $96. Definitely worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CLMBE5A/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: krzyboy2o