Ford Maverick and the small overlanding pickup truck

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
One other thing I have been reading on the Mav is that it's pretty well the Bronco Sport underneath. Does that mean it has the same rear end setup? if so, Can I not take the limited slip system out of the bronco sport and install it into the Mav rear end?

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
If it were a isuzu dmax re badge it would be a traditional frame based truck with real 4wd basically a holden/chevy colorado with a different fascia.
Which it is. I quoted the post from Smiley that shows what appears to be what you are talking about. As the cab and bed are clearly separate it MUST be body on frame. As for the other previously mentioned Hyundai "pickup", yes it is definitely uni body and not what I was referring to.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
One other thing I have been reading on the Mav is that it's pretty well the Bronco Sport underneath. Does that mean it has the same rear end setup? if so, Can I not take the limited slip system out of the bronco sport and install it into the Mav rear end?
That is an interesting thought, maybe the FX4 or what ever is planned as more off roady package will do...

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I thought the Bronco Sport "locker" wasn't a traditional locker like on the main Bronco model but rather a simulated one achieved through single wheel braking controlled by electronics all wrapped up in their GOAT system, etc and thus I think would not so easily be movable from that model to something else.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I thought the Bronco Sport "locker" wasn't a traditional locker like on the main Bronco model but rather a simulated one achieved through single wheel braking controlled by electronics all wrapped up in their GOAT system, etc and thus I think would not so easily be movable from that model to something else.
From what I understand it's a hardware piece in the rear end. NOT a full locker but sometime of limited slip unit.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The FX4 gives full skids underneath, different suspension tuning, hitch and a few other things. no locking rear end like the bronco. So maybe I can add that locker system when I get the truck.
I would check into the "transfer case" before moving forward if its not a factory option. On the Escape the t-case is a compact ring and pinion in an aluminum case that is driven off of the right side front axle shaft. If you were to truly lock up the rear end I could see things not being up to the task.
This is why I haven't locked the rear of my Escape. My generation of Escape runs a Dana 27 rear differential (same as the Ford Ranger ran up front) and there are lockers out there, I just don't trust how the transfer case is set up and thus don't want to see if that one axle will handle powering 3 wheels.
From what I understand it's a hardware piece in the rear end. NOT a full locker but sometime of limited slip unit.
The limited slip would make sense to me in a few ways. First historically Ford has run essentially a Spicer Power Lock as their factory "lockers". This is not a true locker but an extremely aggressive limited slip that under certain conditions can actually "lock up". Secondly allowing that differential to slip and not apply a shock load will reduce load on the transfer case and front end if it is set up like what I was talking about above.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I would check into the "transfer case" before moving forward if its not a factory option. On the Escape the t-case is a compact ring and pinion in an aluminum case that is driven off of the right side front axle shaft. If you were to truly lock up the rear end I could see things not being up to the task.
This is why I haven't locked the rear of my Escape. My generation of Escape runs a Dana 27 rear differential (same as the Ford Ranger ran up front) and there are lockers out there, I just don't trust how the transfer case is set up and thus don't want to see if that one axle will handle powering 3 wheels.

The limited slip would make sense to me in a few ways. First historically Ford has run essentially a Spicer Power Lock as their factory "lockers". This is not a true locker but an extremely aggressive limited slip that under certain conditions can actually "lock up". Secondly allowing that differential to slip and not apply a shock load will reduce load on the transfer case and front end if it is set up like what I was talking about above.
Yes, the sport does not have a locker, but a limited slip locker type deal. The maverick as of now, does not have that. Now, if the rear ends are the same, I will buy the parts etc to install it. Not like I am going to be rockcrawling or anything, just a little more traction on the loose stuff.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The Maverick is a FWD (Front Wheel Drive) only vehicle, so normal lockers won’t work with a hybrid transaxle that comes in the Maverick.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The maverick is awd in ecoboost motor trim. It has an FX4 off road package trim. Essentially, it's a bronco sport with a pan.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The maverick is awd in ecoboost motor trim. It has an FX4 off road package trim. Essentially, it's a bronco sport with a pan.
Not according to Ford (I posted the build sheets in my previous post)… it has the off-road package but is front wheel drive… no option for 4 wheel drive. There is talk of adding Intelligent All Wheel Drive in later model years, but will not be available for the 2022 model year.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Is the Ford awd one of those deals that uses clutches? We all know there is a huge difference between awd which is in fwd till it feels slippage, and 4wd where it's rwd till you pull a gear lever or hit a switch.
If I were coming from the pnw and drove a Subaru and wanted or needed something a little bit bigger yeah I can see buying one. I can also see the transplants coming to tx buy these as well thinking they will fit in better with the locals and their real trucks, we will still be able to tell they ain't from round here though and that they live in the city.
I genuinely want to like these things but I'm going to wait till one gets stuck on my road and has a chance to get themselves out under their own power.

Another thing with towing the new Silverado the new f150 and the new ram are having issues towing they all are rated at around 11k and are having problems overheating hauling 7k or less so I wouldn't have much faith in what these small trucks can actually tow.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Another thing with towing the new Silverado the new f150 and the new ram are having issues towing they all are rated at around 11k and are having problems overheating hauling 7k or less so I wouldn't have much faith in what these small trucks can actually tow.
The Ram overheated it's brakes, the F150 overheated the engine and the Silverado overheated the Transmission. Apparently they've deleted a lot of aux coolers that they used to put in trucks with towing packages. Specifically oil and transmission coolers. And apparently Ford rates their towing capacities using an SAE standard that adjusts based on altitude and those TFL guys were towing at like 10k feet which mean the "adjusted" towing capacity was well under 11k lbs. That same SAE test is done at 45MPH IIRC. The TFL channel tends to tow at high altitude and basically full throttle trying to keep their speeds up.

The TFL guys think they had their trailer brake gain set improperly which contributed to the overheating of the RAM's brakes.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The Ram overheated it's brakes, the F150 overheated the engine and the Silverado overheated the Transmission. Apparently they've deleted a lot of aux coolers that they used to put in trucks with towing packages. Specifically oil and transmission coolers. And apparently Ford rates their towing capacities using an SAE standard that adjusts based on altitude and those TFL guys were towing at like 10k feet which mean the "adjusted" towing capacity was well under 11k lbs. That same SAE test is done at 45MPH IIRC. The TFL channel tends to tow at high altitude and basically full throttle trying to keep their speeds up.

The TFL guys think they had their trailer brake gain set improperly which contributed to the overheating of the RAM's brakes.
Yeah I'm not sure what's up with Ford or dodge but I do know chevy has a habit of using the wrong fluids. None of its good they should all still have no problem towing 2 side by sides on a tandem trailer in the Mountains or not, we've gone from the beach to the Mountains hauling our k30 buggy on a tandem axle trailer with our 2.8l 6 speed without a hint of overheating.

Reactions: Downs

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Is the Ford awd one of those deals that uses clutches? We all know there is a huge difference between awd which is in fwd till it feels slippage, and 4wd where it's rwd till you pull a gear lever or hit a switch.
If I were coming from the pnw and drove a Subaru and wanted or needed something a little bit bigger yeah I can see buying one. I can also see the transplants coming to tx buy these as well thinking they will fit in better with the locals and their real trucks, we will still be able to tell they ain't from round here though and that they live in the city.
I genuinely want to like these things but I'm going to wait till one gets stuck on my road and has a chance to get themselves out under their own power.

It's a system like the subaru, jeep patriot or any other small SUV. Evreything does not have to be like the "real trucks". I tow a 1500 lb camper when loaded and another few hundred lbs in the back of my Patriot and never have an issue. Maybe the real trucks need to go back to the drawing board. Ha ha. the limit for my pat is 2000lbs.

Reactions: Downs

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It's a system like the subaru, jeep patriot or any other small SUV. Evreything does not have to be like the "real trucks". I tow a 1500 lb camper when loaded and another few hundred lbs in the back of my Patriot and never have an issue. Maybe the real trucks need to go back to the drawing board. Ha ha. the limit for my pat is 2000lbs.
That's nice the legal listed tow limit for my colorado is 7700lbs I've exceeded that rating many times without issue. Not a full size truck either, it's more about the engine and drivetrain/ suspension than the size of the vehicle.
You do know right that a 1995 Honda civic hatchback can tow just as much as your patriot. The thing about the crossover suv is that it is crossed over from a passenger sedan not a truck so comparing apples to oranges isn't really working for the argument of small trucks.
When you call something a truck then yes it does have to get compared to a real truck, start calling it a crossover tuv then I will adjust comments accordingly.
But there is the thing you don't get to decide what it's called ford does and they call it a truck, market it as a truck sell it as a truck then it's getting compared to a truck.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
That's nice the legal listed tow limit for my colorado is 7700lbs I've exceeded that rating many times without issue. Not a full size truck either, it's more about the engine and drivetrain/ suspension than the size of the vehicle.
You do know right that a 1995 Honda civic hatchback can tow just as much as your patriot. The thing about the crossover suv is that it is crossed over from a passenger sedan not a truck so comparing apples to oranges isn't really working for the argument of small trucks.
When you call something a truck then yes it does have to get compared to a real truck, start calling it a crossover tuv then I will adjust comments accordingly.
But there is the thing you don't get to decide what it's called ford does and they call it a truck, market it as a truck sell it as a truck then it's getting compared to a truck.
If that's the rules, then your colorado can't tow shit. My friends western star is way better cause it can tow 40k. Your truck is a weenie. See. both are trucks. Your argument is invalid. BTW, I love the colorado bison, just proving a point why your side of the argument is invalid.

BTW that was sort of kidding. It will get compared to similar vehicles in its class, just like every other vehicle. So NOT compared to your mid size truck, or a full size truck.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Man some people get their panties in a bind over numbers and what’s a real truck . Do we need to get a ruler out and start measuring stuff ? And maybe start figuring out who’s dad could beat up the other dads . Speaking of “car like” trucks . Why can’t we get Holden utes in the USA ? Small pickup with a v8 …. Yes please D17473D7-A444-4982-A89A-D9DCC88DC810.jpeg