Ford Maverick and the small overlanding pickup truck

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am in the lineup for a maverick XLT FX4 with 4000 lb tow package. It's enough of a truck for what I need, small which I want, and awesome on gas which is a need here with 1.55 a liter and climbing daily. I have an F150 in the driveway now and it SUCKS. Not because it's a bad vehicle, but it's just to G/D big. My 2003 F150 4 door is about close to the size of the current ranger. The 2017 F150 in my driveway now is like a freakin oil tanker in size. My jeep had a throttle body issue and I had to take the truck for a week while I waited for the part. Oh god, it's a horrible vehicle around town. On the highway it's fine. I can't wait to get the maverick. After that, the patriot is going to pasture for a new bronco sport. We are going back to Ford. Enough with the unreliable Jeep/chrysler/dodge garbage.

Broncoma

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hendersonville, NC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Turpin
I almost bought the Ranger when I bought my Taco a few months ago. I know the ranger has grown in size and is now more of a mid sized truck but I'm not sure that having one model compete with another model for its share of the market is sound business. The Maverick seems like maybe they are gearing it more toward urbanites who would be more likely to haul a futon across town than a beastly little trail rig...

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I almost bought the Ranger when I bought my Taco a few months ago. I know the ranger has grown in size and is now more of a mid sized truck but I'm not sure that having one model compete with another model for its share of the market is sound business. The Maverick seems like maybe they are gearing it more toward urbanites who would be more likely to haul a futon across town than a beastly little trail rig...
Which is exactly what the majority of "truck owners" around here need. The pickup truck has become today's sedan the bed is nothing more than a big trunk.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Since I have used my Escape as more of a Truck than most people use their trucks for, (regularly tow 3K, occasionally haul 2K of building materials in the back) I have zero hesitation about going after an Escape based "truck". Its basically an Escape with an open cargo area, which for me would be perfect, the bed is also designed to accommodate full sheets of plywood, which is better than the Tacoma. I will agree that it wont have much for off road chops, but for the average home owner/ camper it is perfect and shows Ford is listening. Honestly having gone from a mildly built 86 Toyota to a modern Uni-body AWD rig, I don't miss anything and have gained much. If you aren't the "destination trail" type rigs like this are great.
For me the big deal here is price point, cargo area versatility, and selectable 4wd, again in my opinion it shows Ford is listening. If my Escape ever wears out I will jump on one of these, I hope they sell as well as Ford is banking on so when I'm ready to buy a new rig they are still around.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Since I have used my Escape as more of a Truck than most people use their trucks for, (regularly tow 3K, occasionally haul 2K of building materials in the back) I have zero hesitation about going after an Escape based "truck". Its basically an Escape with an open cargo area, which for me would be perfect, the bed is also designed to accommodate full sheets of plywood, which is better than the Tacoma. I will agree that it wont have much for off road chops, but for the average home owner/ camper it is perfect and shows Ford is listening. Honestly having gone from a mildly built 86 Toyota to a modern Uni-body AWD rig, I don't miss anything and have gained much. If you aren't the "destination trail" type rigs like this are great.
For me the big deal here is price point, cargo area versatility, and selectable 4wd, again in my opinion it shows Ford is listening. If my Escape ever wears out I will jump on one of these, I hope they sell as well as Ford is banking on so when I'm ready to buy a new rig they are still around.
We are going to have one for sure. We love small rigs. We are in line for a xlt fx4 package as I mentioned. Now, in a few months after release, I am guessing some companies will release a 2 inch lift or so, for it and we can add a bit of air and tire under neath. We do not rawkrawl here so 35s are a waste of space, money and time for us. We explore the backcountry using unimproved fire service and logging roads where in reality I have been in places with my wrangler, that cars just go on in as well. The Mav will give us the great gas milage, cargo carrying capacity like our bikes and camping gear, and utility for picking up wood etc for projects and sales. After we get that, we are going go be flipping the patriot (which I have no faith in anymore after the TB failing), and getting a new Kia Niro EV for our daily driver. EV for a daily is a necessity here now considering gas is going above 1.60 a liter now.

So, a little 4 cyl pup with a cap when needed, and an EV SUV is the dynamic duo for us moving forward.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I think it would make a great little overland rig , let’s be honest most people think they need big tires and 4low to get out but a lot of these “hardcore” trails as they call it that are really not that hard .We have to always remember what one person Calls a hard-core trail another person might not even find four-wheel-drive necessary . You can get out and see a lot of stuff sticking to mild FS roads .
hyundai is also making a small urban truck to
BAE9F365-7BCA-453C-83AE-66E05B4113B4.jpeg

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I think it would make a great little overland rig , let’s be honest most people think they need big tires and 4low to get out but a lot of these “hardcore” trails as they call it that are really not that hard .We have to always remember what one person Calls a hard-core trail another person might not even find four-wheel-drive necessary . You can get out and see a lot of stuff sticking to mild FS roads .
hyundai is also making a small urban truck to
View attachment 204675
I would like to merge features of both of these into one truck. Mostly the ford, Since it's coming with an off road package. I wish ford had an in bed trunk, and 5000lb towing. I just can't deal with the hyundai's looks. It's BFU styling wise.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I would like to merge features of both of these into one truck. Mostly the ford, Since it's coming with an off road package. I wish ford had an in bed trunk, and 5000lb towing. I just can't deal with the hyundai's looks. It's BFU styling wise.
it’s definitely one of those vehicles you’re in a love the look of it or completely hate it I don’t think there’s a middle ground, I’m not a huge fan of it either but I will give them credit for at least trying to make something that looks different.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
We are going to have one for sure. We love small rigs. We are in line for a xlt fx4 package as I mentioned. Now, in a few months after release, I am guessing some companies will release a 2 inch lift or so, for it and we can add a bit of air and tire under neath. We do not rawkrawl here so 35s are a waste of space, money and time for us. We explore the backcountry using unimproved fire service and logging roads where in reality I have been in places with my wrangler, that cars just go on in as well. The Mav will give us the great gas milage, cargo carrying capacity like our bikes and camping gear, and utility for picking up wood etc for projects and sales. After we get that, we are going go be flipping the patriot (which I have no faith in anymore after the TB failing), and getting a new Kia Niro EV for our daily driver. EV for a daily is a necessity here now considering gas is going above 1.60 a liter now.

So, a little 4 cyl pup with a cap when needed, and an EV SUV is the dynamic duo for us moving forward.
What made you add the FX4 package? I built one out on the build a truck feature on the Ford website and didn't see anything in the FX4 package that really blew my skirt up for how much extra money it was.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
it’s definitely one of those vehicles you’re in a love the look of it or completely hate it I don’t think there’s a middle ground, I’m not a huge fan of it either but I will give them credit for at least trying to make something that looks different.
Oh, totally. I hope they sell a metric shat ton of them. The market of the mini truck will grow and give us more options and features.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF

Let me know how that Maverick treats you. I am seriously interested in them, its kind of a bummer that we wont be in the market for another car for a few years at least...

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Let me know how that Maverick treats you. I am seriously interested in them, its kind of a bummer that we wont be in the market for another car for a few years at least...
Will do. I am excited to drive one too. I love small rigs. As I mentioned before, the patriot was in sick bay for 2 weeks and I had the F150. It's gargantuan. I hate it. I like small nimble vehicles. The Nissan Micra SR we had was boondockers for driving around town. Super fun!