Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
were they biting?
Unbelievable, the amount of brookies compared to rainbows. But when the bows hit, it felt like they were going to take the rod out fo your hands! Catch and released between 10-18 per day

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Unbelievable, the amount of brookies compared to rainbows. But when the bows hit, it felt like they were going to take the rod out fo your hands! Catch and released between 10-18 per day
I stuck out in NM but it was really going to be a fishing trip just kind of morph into one. I can't wait to head out again will be more prepared.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
This is something I want to learn. I have two poles that my dad had! One is a Fenwick FF858 8.6' 4 1/8oz AFTMA Fly line No 8 and a Daiwa 1345a 8' AFTMA #7 but I have no idea about which reel to get or the line? I am going to learn to use them once I get the rest of it sorted...

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
This is something I want to learn. I have two poles that my dad had! One is a Fenwick FF858 8.6' 4 1/8oz AFTMA Fly line No 8 and a Daiwa 1345a 8' AFTMA #7 but I have no idea about which reel to get or the line? I am going to learn to use them once I get the rest of it sorted...
I just started fly fishing about two years ago and am just now starting to get the hang of it. Nice thing about being retired is I have plenty of time to get a little better at it.

iamdrglass

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
I really don’t overland me and my boys we fish and we camp. We use a 2006 Suburban to get there and when the whole family goes we pull a 2013 14ft enclosed trailer. Wife and I sleep on cots inside and the boys use a Kelty family tent with typical gear.

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Don’t kill me guys, I need some help...

I know enough about fly fishing to be dangerous... I only know one name when it comes to “Fly Rods”, that is Fenwick. I’m looking for a decent beginner combo set for myself and my wife... fishing mainly for small brook trout and rainbows with the occasional Kokanee. I’m thinking about 8.5-9’ two piece rod, light action... Like I said I know enough to be dangerous, but my wife doesn’t know anything. Can I get some good recommendations for Rods, Reels, Combos, that won’t break the bank... (I would love a several hundred dollar rod, but right now can’t justify it) and some good YouTube instructional channels to share with the wife. We are wanting to step up our fishing game next year.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I really don’t overland me and my boys we fish and we camp. We use a 2006 Suburban to get there and when the whole family goes we pull a 2013 14ft enclosed trailer. Wife and I sleep on cots inside and the boys use a Kelty family tent with typical gear.
Your a great inspiration. Gteat looking bunch of rug rats !! You have a lot of shady trees. :-)

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder

I know enough about fly fishing to be dangerous... I only know one name when it comes to “Fly Rods”, that is Fenwick. I’m looking for a decent beginner combo set for myself and my wife... fishing mainly for small brook trout and rainbows with the occasional Kokanee. I’m thinking about 8.5-9’ two piece rod, light action... Like I said I know enough to be dangerous, but my wife doesn’t know anything. Can I get some good recommendations for Rods, Reels, Combos, that won’t break the bank... (I would love a several hundred dollar rod, but right now can’t justify it) and some good YouTube instructional channels to share with the wife. We are wanting to step up our fishing game next year.
BPS/Cabelas is a good place to get a feel for what's offered in various price ranges. Look at any local Trout Unlimited type meetings and contacts. They often have beginner instructions. You can read online to get an idea of what you are trying to do, what knots to learn, and general principles. It's a more technical form of fishing. The only times I have truly enjoyed fly fishing is with a good guide. Tying on those tiny-ass flys I found something of a mental block. Guess I need better glasses. Once you get the basics down you can begin to relax and enjoy it. Like snow skiing...get some instruction to start. Not as dangerous but like skiing don't get too close to a beginner.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I second the Cabela's option. They offer some decent inexpensive combos, their Prestige is a good rod, I have one that used to be my primary rod. Another option is the Redington Path combo. My go to fly rods now are 3, 5 and 6 wt Reddingtons. FWLIW, my suggestion would be to get the best rod you can afford. I have seen people almost give up fly fishing because they bought a "Walmart" fly rod setup and couldn't cast it well. I have handed them my Redington and it was whole different experience. I had an older friend that had fly fished for many years tell me that the two key elements are a good rod that fits your casting style and good fly line. The reel is just to store line, buy a decent one but invest what you can in the other two.

Good luck and enjoy the experience!

If you get to Central Oregon, it would be great to throw a fly or two with you.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
BPS/Cabelas is a good place to get a feel for what's offered in various price ranges. Look at any local Trout Unlimited type meetings and contacts. They often have beginner instructions. You can read online to get an idea of what you are trying to do, what knots to learn, and general principles. It's a more technical form of fishing. The only times I have truly enjoyed fly fishing is with a good guide. Tying on those tiny-ass flys I found something of a mental block. Guess I need better glasses. Once you get the basics down you can begin to relax and enjoy it. Like snow skiing...get some instruction to start. Not as dangerous but like skiing don't get too close to a beginner.
Like I said, I know enough to be dangerous.... I tie flies and plugs for my spinning rods, I know how to tie my flies into my leaders.... I know my Fenwick Rod was better than any rod I could find at a BPS/Cabbala’s... but I also know that the rod I lost is irreplaceable... it would be about a $2500 rod/real combo in today’s market... so right up there with getting a custom rod... I do alright with my Martin Fly Rod I got from Walmart, but it’s a heavy action rod, and not a beginner friendly rod they claimed it was... I can go into all the reasons it’s not a good rod....
I’ve been all over the BPS and Cabala’s Rods, a lot of them I like a lot... until I read the price tag...
I was going to go to my local outfitters store and purchase a couple rods and deals.... but then found out that they are only doing telephone orders, so since I have no clue what is a good go to rod any more I came here for information....
you gave a lot of good information for a guy in the larger cities, but out here, I’m almost 3 hours from a Cabala’s and I don’t even know where the closest BPS is... none of the local shops are giving classes, guides aren’t allowed out on the rivers I fish (I know this first hand because I am waiting on a call to shuttle the only guide on the grande ronde River).

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I second the Cabela's option. They offer some decent inexpensive combos, their Prestige is a good rod, I have one that used to be my primary rod. Another option is the Redington Path combo. My go to fly rods now are 3, 5 and 6 wt Reddingtons. FWLIW, my suggestion would be to get the best rod you can afford. I have seen people almost give up fly fishing because they bought a "Walmart" fly rod setup and couldn't cast it well. I have handed them my Redington and it was whole different experience. I had an older friend that had fly fished for many years tell me that the two key elements are a good rod that fits your casting style and good fly line. The reel is just to store line, buy a decent one but invest what you can in the other two.

Good luck and enjoy the experience!

If you get to Central Oregon, it would be great to throw a fly or two with you.
That’s the information I was looking for Allen, I am wanting to hit up a few places down in your neck of the streams... I am in rough stages of planning a fishing trip in mid September.
I will definitely look into the Reddinton Rods, any brand of line you recommend? I used to use a double tapered line, and man casting that line on the old Fenwick was so relaxing... I miss it

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Fly fishing gear is always packed. I dont fish as much anymore, I find myself interested in other things, but my brother is deep in the hobby. I will occasionally go with him. Where I live and have (easy) access to, I feel I have fished it all and want to see new. I know the fish dont care, how many times I go to the same spot, but I use these activities to pull me to new places.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

That’s the information I was looking for Allen, I am wanting to hit up a few places down in your neck of the streams... I am in rough stages of planning a fishing trip in mid September.
I will definitely look into the Reddinton Rods, any brand of line you recommend? I used to use a double tapered line, and man casting that line on the old Fenwick was so relaxing... I miss it
My fishing buddies and I use the Rio Trout. I used to use a DT line but have since moved to weight forward lines. You can get more distance and better line control with WF.

Keep your eyes on Craigslist, I found good deals on one of my Redingtons and a Sage used off of Craigslist.

It's hard to describe to people who don't fly fish the feeling you get when standing in the river casting and the rest of world just kinda fades away for little while.

We will be here next week!

WP_20190727_18_44_12_Pro (4).jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

My girlfriend sent me a nice dinner jacket kast Christmas from Orvis. She spent too much money on me and I didn't need a dinner jacket (it was too small anyway) let alone one that cost $450. I sent it back to Orvis and instead of refunding her the money they sent me a gift card for $450 and said they didn't make two party refunds. I tried to give it to her but she said she really wanted me yo use it on something I wanted or needed. They only sell a small variety of items so I found a nice fly rod and real (9' break down rod) and ordered it. They were out of stock so it went on back order with shipment being delayed until the 26th. of this month. I bought the cheapest rod they listed with the reel included. The cost was $349 with tax, $311 before tax. I would have bought a wally world rod and reel for under $50 to replace my 1960's fishing rigs that are too old to use any longer. When I come your way we will learn to fly fish together since I know nothing about fishing and I'm dying to go fish.

Reactions: M Rose