Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I just picked up a Fly Rod again (after a 30 year hiatus), last year. I grew up fishing the Ozarks and the Smoky Mountains. I live in SC now. But, the closest fly fishing (trout) waters to me are near Blowing Rock, NC. I'm looking into new spots in the SC & Ga mountain areas and just got back from a trip up there. (But, it was just too blame HOT for me to enjoy it.)

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I just picked up a Fly Rod again (after a 30 year hiatus), last year. I grew up fishing the Ozarks and the Smoky Mountains. I live in SC now. But, the closest fly fishing (trout) waters to me are near Blowing Rock, NC. I'm looking into new spots in the SC & Ga mountain areas and just got back from a trip up there. (But, it was just too blame HOT for me to enjoy it.)
Need some serious elevation to get away from this July heat! There are trout here near Columbia in the Lower Saluda below the Lake Murray Dam and on the upper Saluda but never fished that. Some below Lake Hartwell Dam as well.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Live near the Appalachian Trail in North Georgia. My home water is the Amicalola river in Dawson County. There is a ton of fishable water in this area. Most of my overlanding trips revolve around fishing. Up here we mostly find stocked rainbows but my favorite is to find native browns blue lining. I use a 5 ft vintage Fenwick fiberglass rod on small streams because of the overgrowth and an Orvis Clearwater 9ft on more open water. My favorite rigs are one fly drys and single wooly buggers.
Never fished North Georgia but it sure looks interesting. Any decent dispersed camping around the Amicalola?

Last edited:

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Yes, there is one in particular we go to, Lindsay Ford. It's dispersed but only about 5 sights. Last time we were there it was nasty, ppl forgot to dig holes if you know what I mean. We cleaned it but I think it's hit or miss on the shape it's in.

Look at forrest road 58 and 28 around Dahlonega, lots of fishable water there. Lot's of dispersed camping. Lots off opportunity around Suches as well.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Yes, there is one in particular we go to, Lindsay Ford. It's dispersed but only about 5 sights. Last time we were there it was nasty, ppl forgot to dig holes if you know what I mean. We cleaned it but I think it's hit or miss on the shape it's in.

Look at forrest road 58 and 28 around Dahlonega, lots of fishable water there. Lot's of dispersed camping. Lots off opportunity around Suches as well.
Very good. Thanks! I will put that on my list of places to go. I have found the saying "Trout don't live in ugly places" to be truth.

Wyotroutguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Utah
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Super stoked to see that there’s so many more fly anglers on here, it’s one of the huge influences in getting me into overlanding, getting farther and deeper than the average fair weather angler, and discovering more and more hidden high country lakes (and where I live in Utah is literally shotgunned with small not easily accessible high alpine lakes and streams)

Attachments

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Super stoked to see that there’s so many more fly anglers on here, it’s one of the huge influences in getting me into overlanding, getting farther and deeper than the average fair weather angler, and discovering more and more hidden high country lakes (and where I live in Utah is literally shotgunned with small not easily accessible high alpine lakes and streams)
Sounds wonderful! Hope I can make it out that way next year.

Eric Sherrill

Rank 0

Contributor II

Morganton, NC, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Sherrill
I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.
I'm a die-hard fisherman, fly, spinning, fresh/ salt, doesn't matter to me, rainbow/ brown/Brookies/ smallies for fresh water. As for salt water, anything goes, but I love catching bull reds, any reds actually, they fight harder than any other species that you can catch from the surf/pier/ or kayaks. And they are great to eat. I also target sea trout and flounder, love the Spanish as well. Should be heading to the NC coast in August, and again in September, have a kayaking tournament in October out of Oak Island NC ( Oak Island Classic ) look it up on YouTube. It's all about the FISH, that's why I've built an overlander.... Opens up more areas to fish

Eric Sherrill

Rank 0

Contributor II

Morganton, NC, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Sherrill
Hello all, I just joined the forum and found one of my new favorite threads. I would consider myself a novice Fly Fisherman, but I absolutely love it and honestly, I find it a bit therapeutic. Once your out on the water and just getting in the rhythm of casting (and casting and casting) everything else just seems to go away. I live in Virginia and we have quite a few good spots, but somehow most of my fishing has been elsewhere; Colorado, West Virginia, Maryland, Michigan and Pennsylvania. I'm currently running a Sage 9' 5wt that I picked up on sale in Breckenridge on one of my trips out there. I see a 9' 8wt in my future to go after some steelies. I'm still learning all the types of flys, so I can't really say what is my favorite. I usually hit up a local fly shop buy what they recommend and hopefully get a little intel after spending some cash. These are the last couple trips I've done. First one is nice little largemouth on a popper. The last two photos was from a trip to Michigan with some buddies. They landed, I did not. :( Can't wait to break this quarantine and get back out there. I think the Carolinas will be next on the list.
View attachment 149625View attachment 149622View attachment 149624View attachment 149623

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Eric Sherrill

Rank 0

Contributor II

Morganton, NC, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Sherrill
Never fished North Georgia but it sure looks interesting. Any decent dispersed camping around the Amicalola?
You need to head up to Wilson Creek NC and fish the delay harvest area, after Oct ... They start stocking it heavy with all sizes. Any where in the mountains of NC has good trout fishing... Hit me up one day and we will go and try to slay a few dozen or more ..... There is some good wild water streams as well, but in those areas 14" are big fish

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
You need to head up to Wilson Creek NC and fish the delay harvest area, after Oct ... They start stocking it heavy with all sizes. Any where in the mountains of NC has good trout fishing... Hit me up one day and we will go and try to slay a few dozen or more ..... There is some good wild water streams as well, but in those areas 14" are big fish
Just printed a map for that area. Fished around N.C. a good bit. Would rather catch small natives than dough bellies. Delayed harvest is good. Just not the stocked yesterday trout.

Not fly fishing related but got into some great redbreast fishing this past weekend. Probably one of the better days we've had in a couple of years. Hard to beat the electricity of a big redbreast nailing a spinner on ultralight. I lost a couple of big ones that I couldn't do much with when they saw the boat. One opened the hook and another got into a snag. Actually caught a three pound catfish on a beetle spni! I liken it to the rush of a covey rise...back when there were enough wild quail to hunt. It was some new water for me but parts were open enough to cast a fly rod. It would still be difficult to maneuver a sneak boat and cast. Too deep to wade. Black water rivers are almost as fun as a mountain stream.

Reactions: Eric Sherrill