Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My girlfriend sent me a nice dinner jacket kast Christmas from Orvis. She spent too much money on me and I didn't need a dinner jacket (it was too small anyway) let alone one that cost $450. I sent it back to Orvis and instead of refunding her the money they sent me a gift card for $450 and said they didn't make two party refunds. I tried to give it to her but she said she really wanted me yo use it on something I wanted or needed. They only sell a small variety of items so I found a nice fly rod and real (9' break down rod) and ordered it. They were out of stock so it went on back order with shipment being delayed until the 26th. of this month. I bought the cheapest rod they listed with the reel included. The cost was $349 with tax, $311 before tax. I would have bought a wally world rod and reel for under $50 to replace my 1960's fishing rigs that are too old to use any longer. When I come your way we will learn to fly fish together since I know nothing about fishing and I'm dying to go fish.
I would love to get out on the water with you Jim... I was just looking at the Orvis Rods... have yet to actually read the reviews and see any real world use, but the pictures look like they are high quality rods and reels.
Don’t underestimate those old 1960’s rigs... I have been working on refurbishing several old rods from the 1950’s and 60’s. Currently I’m working on a early 1970’s Penn #9 bait casting real that was left in saltwater for way too long. I’ll post up some of my “Old” Rods that I’m restoring or have restored that make the mark to go on my boat with me.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My fishing buddies and I use the Rio Trout. I used to use a DT line but have since moved to weight forward lines. You can get more distance and better line control with WF.

Keep your eyes on Craigslist, I found good deals on one of my Redingtons and a Sage used off of Craigslist.

It's hard to describe to people who don't fly fish the feeling you get when standing in the river casting and the rest of world just kinda fades away for little while.

We will be here next week!

View attachment 167376
Thanks for the the information Allen.... Now that I know what to look for it will be easier to search... I’m not opposed to second hand gear, or even vintage gear... Making my own rod isn’t out of the possibility either... although I think I want an off the shelf rig before making a custom one... 20 years ago I would have known exactly how to match the components to build one fine, perfectly balanced rod and reel, that the line would host flow out of the guides... but now with lighter better blanks I would be completely lost until I get back into the sport.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think I found my new rods... the Lamiglas X-11seamsnto fit the bill... now I need to relearn all this line weight stuff... really wish I could just walk into my local fly shop right now and set one up... one thing I do remember from my youth; my grandpa always told me to make sure the rod balances at the point where your hand holds the rod comfortably. So finding the perfect loaded real to balance out the rod at this location will be a little harder than finding the rod itself.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I think I found my new rods... the Lamiglas X-11seamsnto fit the bill... now I need to relearn all this line weight stuff... really wish I could just walk into my local fly shop right now and set one up... one thing I do remember from my youth; my grandpa always told me to make sure the rod balances at the point where your hand holds the rod comfortably. So finding the perfect loaded real to balance out the rod at this location will be a little harder than finding the rod itself.
Say one of the best trout streams in New Mexico

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Say one of the best trout streams in New Mexico
Where was this ? I just got my new fly rod and reel today from Orvis. I'm ready for some easy outings to get broke in (me not the rod). I prefer river or streams to lake fishing though I'm a rookie at fishing for anything except cat fish and blue gill.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I cheated. I had no idea what to buy or where to start so I bought the rod and reel package the sellers (Orvis) recommended. It came with 9'- 6 wt- 6 piece rig (4- piece rod, pre-wound line reel, and tube type carrying case) . It's called a Clearwater. It came with the line already in the reel. I've never owned such a beautiful tool. I'm accustomed to fishing with a pole, a string and hook tied to it. LOL. !
Youtube here I come to learn how to fly fish and where to find the fish. Cant wait to try it out.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Fishing is free it is on private land before Carson national Forest and you can camp right on the river for $25. I will post more on this Forest road under the destination thread.
$25 a day, week or month ? Does the water end up in a lake or is it overflow from a lake somewhere that is not on private property. I hope I can find the thread when you post it.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
It's 25 a day. Now if you don't mind the washboard road there is a forest service campground I want to say a few miles away but the rough is so washboard that it seemed like it was forever.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The more I stay up here in the northern New Mexico area the more I think about a takana rod.
That rod dosent have a place for a reel. I like the collapsing feature though. I'd rather not have to get into the river to fish at my age.

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Rio Costilla?
We were just up in the Valle Vidal 2 weeks agp scouting for our elk hunt.
So you were lucky enough to get your name drawn for a hunt. Did you have to select a zone to hunt from like NM requires deer hunters to do. We have many elk in my county around Fort Bayard but they stay mostly on land we can't hunt on. Never hunted elk but always wanted too. Too old now to retrieve one if I shot one. I hate being old.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Rio Costilla?
We were just up in the Valle Vidal 2 weeks agp scouting for our elk hunt.
Yep I saw one in the forest when I was running the loop trail didn't get a picture of him. That was the only one I saw but I can imagine her all over that place

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
The more I stay up here in the northern New Mexico area the more I think about a takana rod.
That rod dosent have a place for a reel. I like the collapsing feature though. I'd rather not have to get into the river to fish at my age.
I can tell you for a fact you don't have to get in the river on the Pecos or Red rivers here in northern New Mexico

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
So you were lucky enough to get your name drawn for a hunt. Did you have to select a zone to hunt from like NM requires deer hunters to do. We have many elk in my county around Fort Bayard but they stay mostly on land we can't hunt on. Never hunted elk but always wanted too. Too old now to retrieve one if I shot one. I hate being old.
Yes, the elk tags are unit specific. In unit 55A, it is further broken down between 2 wildlife management areas and the Valle Vidal. The VV hunt is a once in a lifetime draw for bull elk, and once in a lifetime for cow elk. Stepson & I drew together, so we each have a cow tag. Our hunt is the Sat-Wed before Thanksgiving.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes, the elk tags are unit specific. In unit 55A, it is further broken down between 2 wildlife management areas and the Valle Vidal. The VV hunt is a once in a lifetime draw for bull elk, and once in a lifetime for cow elk. Stepson & I drew together, so we each have a cow tag. Our hunt is the Sat-Wed before Thanksgiving.
I wish you luck. My neighbor got his elk about 5 years ago and he let it spoil before getting it to the processor. Really pissed me off.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I can tell you for a fact you don't have to get in the river on the Pecos or Red rivers here in northern New Mexico
I really do need to get up there to enjoy an adventure. It won't be to far off from now I'm hoping. Hope I can meet up with someone like you.