Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

WOW!!!! I couldn't imagine catching a shark on a fly rod. So cool!!!! Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures.
A big fly rod...but it is a fly rod. My 15wt is a arm killer from Loomis, but the 14 is very castable Winston and I love it. My 13 is a Sage Salt and I'm not too fond of it. No character, but it fights fish well. When you grab the 10 or 12 they feel like trout rods after playing with the big sticks.

We did post a live video on Facebook of the last fish of the trip. I was putting away my 13wt and had it all apart on the bow when a 80lb fish showed up. Took it with the 12, but it took longer than it should have.

Trailpatrol

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Isanti, MN
Member #

It's been a while. I've been sidelined by two broken legs (one on each side) and abdominal surgery ever since the season opened, and we got 19 inches of snow on opening day. Now that I am out of the leg splints. my orthopedist has prescribed going fishing as excellent therapy...and then the past two days we have had 8-14 inches of rain over all my favorite fishing spots. Can you say, "wash-out?" This won't be my most stellar year, but as soon as the monsoon subsides, I will be hitting the streams in NW WI and NE MN.

I have several rods; a Badger Tenkara UNC pack rod for bike-fishing and a Cabela's RLX 5 wt. are my two primaries. An old Eagle Claw, my first fly rod, from back in the late '70s when EC was still a top quality brand not an Amazon discount item. I also use Daiwa Silvercast ultra-light spinning rod, and a telescoping Shakespeare with a small Daiwa reel on it for packing into the interior. My favorite flies are olive caddis flies, black fly flies, hoppers and red worm flies. Lighter colored streamers seem to work best on the Tenkara in the winter, but I have a bax that is specifically flies for the UNC, and I hope to try more of them out when my recovery is over. (One more week!)

Go-to vehicle for the frontcountry is my '05 Dodge Dakota, which has been giving me fits, but it runs. I access the backcountry on my Cogburn CB4 fat-bike. Can't wait to get back on it.

Tight lines!
Hans
MNBackcountry1@trailpatrol.org

SeattleStew

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
Member #

Really excited to see this thread! I am passionate about fly fishing and it is one of my primary goals with my rig (access to Remote areas). I fishing mostly for trout, enjoying rivers and streams the most. Always looking for great remote rivers that have native fish.

For those that are wanting to learn about fly fishing, don’t get overwhelmed by the chit chat of all the old timers. Start with an inexpensive setup and focus on your favorite areas. Become friends with your local fly shop and don’t shy away from classes or guides. It really is a life long hobby that has layers and layers of learning!

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I've fished with Conway the last 4-5 years at different times of the year. We've become good friends and have a special project we'll be working on.... coming to a theater near you! Hint: we tested a Tenkara rod out on Mackerel, now it's time to go big or go home...

The best line I've found to cast those chicken flies is the Bermuda short from Wulff... I have it from 12-15. It will carry the big poppers and I can cast them 60-70 ft no worries. Of course you don't need to cast that far most of the time...

View attachment 59218
Nice! Keep me posted on dates of the movie!

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I tend to find myself on the Truckee or another river/stream/creek tossing bugs or meat for trout many times of the year. I am also an avid Bass Fisherman as well. Although with Bass I am a conventional fisherman.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm back in the northeast now. It's been 8 years. I have no idea where to go anymore.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I'm back in the northeast now. It's been 8 years. I have no idea where to go anymore.
I spent some time poking around northern NH near Back Lake. The upper Connecticut and the streams around Pittsburg, NH were filled with Trout that would take a fly. There were plenty of shops in the area that could point you in the right direction...although some have passed into memory. Stripers and Bluefish are also fly eaters if you head to the coast. You're close to a lot of angling opportunities! Good luck!

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I know it's a last minute posting, but any of you Washington anglers with nothing to do might want to swing by Manchester State Park this weekend. My shop crew is hosting a bunch of our customers/friends for a few days of beach fishing. We're blowing out of here in about an hour and should roll into camp around 7:00 tonight. Stone Soup Potluck Sunday at 1:30. Feel free to join in the fun. I'll be in camp # 40-41. Introduce yourself if you roll through...

PugetSound-0176.jpg

Reactions: Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I know it's a last minute posting, but any of you Washington anglers with nothing to do might want to swing by Manchester State Park this weekend. My shop crew is hosting a bunch of our customers/friends for a few days of beach fishing. We're blowing out of here in about an hour and should roll into camp around 7:00 tonight. Stone Soup Potluck Sunday at 1:30. Feel free to join in the fun. I'll be in camp # 40-41. Introduce yourself if you roll through...

View attachment 61782
Oh you lucky dog you...I would kill for a Nautilus. That particular one is beautiful. I am currently running an Allen which has not let me down yet.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Oh you lucky dog you...I would kill for a Nautilus. That particular one is beautiful. I am currently running an Allen which has not let me down yet.
It doesn't hurt that I own a fly shop or am close friends will several domestic reel makers and like to support US manufacturers. Kristen Mustad @ Nautilus is a great guy and builds an awesome reel. I just had him make me a couple custom trout reels for this same trip... I have a bunch of his reels from Trout stuff to my Monster N/V on a 13 wt. for Makos... I've been selling his reels ever since he started making them and have seen the progression of design. His new stuff is pretty cool and works great. Prices on the X series aren't bad for a Made in the USA reel, but can't beat the Chinese stuff on price.

Last edited:

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Wow-How did I miss this forum. New to the OB community here-enjoying retirement and my Jeep JKU and Morris Mule Trailer--but I have been fly fishing for about 50 years. Started while I was in the Air Force up in Washington state-fishing for steelhead/trout. Progressed into salt water fly fishing for years-fishing the laguna Madre, Port Aransas, Port Mansfield, Rockport and Galveston areas for redfish, speckled trout, flounder etc. Really enjoyed offshore for Mahi Mahi, blackfin/yellowfin tuna, bluefish and stripers.

Have been fishing Northern New Mexico and Colorado for the last two months, fishing Spinney, Delaney butte, Deckers, south Platte, Cheeseman, 11 mile canyon, Rio Grande headwaters and lake, San Juan in New Mexico and the Valle Vidal.

In the process now of planning for next year fishing the New England area for bluefish, stripers and fluke, in the spring/summer, then heading south along the coast to hopefully catch up with the mullet run heading south. If anyone has any thoughts/knowledge of the east coast areas to fish-please let me know. Also when to be there.

Float tubing the lakes is fantastic from ice out to the fall, fishing larger streams is great lots of walking though unless your floating the river, kayak fishing the salt water is more than fun and allows you to access areas you wouldn't normally be able to get to.

I spent almost four months fly fishing the Florida keys years ago, and a month fishing the Flamingo everglades area for snook, tarpon and bonefish -and managed to avoid the alligators as much as I could in the back bays/coves.

I will guarantee you this--once you get started in fly fishing you will never regret it. It has changed my life--just do your research, practice practice and practice more. I started out just going to a park, throwing paper plates around and then casting to the plates-in all directions and wind conditions-works great!!! Also even if you get addicted to tieing your own flies-which you more likely will, always research where the local fly shop is where you will be fishing and stop in---they can be a wealth of information and most of the time are more than willing to give advice, on where to fish and flies to use while your in the area.

Enjoy
Bob

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

Great thread.

Just back for the Owyhee and John Day. The Owyhee area is amazing for those who have not been.
I fish Owyhee frequently, well not as frequent as I wish but still. Lots of big browns out there only a short drive from home. Was just out there last Wednesday and it was a perfect day, landed half a dozen browns over 20 inches.

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

I will guarantee you this--once you get started in fly fishing you will never regret it. It has changed my life--just do your research, practice practice and practice more. I started out just going to a park, throwing paper plates around and then casting to the plates-in all directions and wind conditions-works great!!! Also even if you get addicted to tieing your own flies-which you more likely will, always research where the local fly shop is where you will be fishing and stop in---they can be a wealth of information and most of the time are more than willing to give advice, on where to fish and flies to use while your in the area.

Enjoy
Bob
Couldn't be more accurate. Ever since my first guided trip on Henry's Fork 4 years ago, fly fishing has become a true passion that as of recently my 6 year old shares as well. Always searching for that perfect cast, practice practice practice. There is something magical about watching a rising trout take a hand tied dry fly. Such a great way to spend a day outdoors.

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Just “casting” it out there, ( sorry that was weak) I’m in Rocklin, if any body needs a potential +1 for a day of small stream fishing send me a PM or get the word out some how. I’m still quite the newbie but I can stand in water with the best of them. I just love me a remote access stream ! Went to the Silver Fork of the Am. Rvr w/a buddy last month. Caught nothing, lost a few flys, had a ball . Just keep me in your mind.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Real soon will be Salmon season! My favorite fly fishing! I fish the Washington Coast, starting at the mouth of the Columbia River, then start hitting the rivers close by. I will catch 30-40 Salmon a season. Start out with an 8 wt. for the Jumbo Kings, then move down to a 6 wt. for the rest of the season. All the fish are caught from the shore. The first time you get a Salmon on a fly rod, you will be hooked! Benz.
C60C0577-E735-4B7E-BA72-D8D9A1652B20.jpeg

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

Real soon will be Salmon season! My favorite fly fishing! I fish the Washington Coast, starting at the mouth of the Columbia River, then start hitting the rivers close by. I will catch 30-40 Salmon a season. Start out with an 8 wt. for the Jumbo Kings, then move down to a 6 wt. for the rest of the season. All the fish are caught from the shore. The first time you get a Salmon on a fly rod, you will be hooked! Benz.
View attachment 65939

That's been my goal to catch a salmon on a fly. I have a good 8 wt and have tried up in BC but got skunked. Maybe this year I will get lucky...