kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

I love your quote, "friends don't let friends do stupid things alone"
Reminds me of the line

"Your truly good friend won't bail you out, he will be setting next to you in jail, still chuckling "

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
OK all you Nevada fly fishers... I'm busting out of the shop on March 11th and heading to Pyramid Lake to fish the 12-14th. Need some boots on the ground intel for areas to check out and places to make camp. Any other details would be awesome. This has been on the list for some time and I'm looking forward to checking the box on this one... @NV.Recon
How was the trip to Pyramid Lake? Thinking about running up there for a couple days after some of these storms blow through.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

How was the trip to Pyramid Lake? Thinking about running up there for a couple days after some of these storms blow through.
Awesome! Hooked up with Scott Hoffman ( @NV.Recon ) from Reno and we had a great time. Scott got his largest fish to date, a 15lber! I parked my rig on the beach and never moved it for three days. Never leave fish to find fish. Camping was perfect with the winds calm in the morning and evening. A wonderful time for sure!

PyramidLake-3022.jpg PyramidLake-3130036.jpg PyramidLake-3130018.jpg PyramidLake-3130047.jpg PyramidLake-3130051.jpg PyramidLake-3130052.jpg

Reactions: Chadlyb

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

After spending three days at Pyramid Lake last week, I headed north with some industry friends to the Owyhee River in Eastern Oregon. BWOs were popping and big Browns were rising. I had a dozen fish from 18" to 24" on Friday before the weekend crowd moved in... 1500 miles 7-day road trip...

Owhyee-3085.jpg Owyhee-4149.jpg Owyhee-4159.jpg
Owyhee-3160107.jpg
Owyhee-3160124.jpg Owyhee-3160106.jpg Owyhee-3170131.jpg

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Fly fishing is kind of my Zen time. I wish I had more time to do it. Started over 40 years ago with my best friend (still one of my closest fishing and hunting friends) and I'm still not good at it! LOL

Love the Owyhee, my younger sister leaves in Adrian OR, so it's a good excuse to visit and fish the river.
Our camp on the Owyhee and one of my buddies taking a break from the river.
WP_20170831_20_21_07_Pro.jpg WP_20170901_19_49_42_Pro.jpg

And the Deschutes River 45 minutes from the house.

WP_20170826_10_37_52_Pro.jpg

Thomas_M

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Seattle, WA USA
Member #

I spend a lot of time on the Olympic Peninsula rivers chasing steelhead and salmon - both fly/spey and centerpin fishing depending on place and water condition. Bushwhacking up small streams in summer with a 3wt and a couple EHC's is a frequent adventure. I built my Jeep to support that activity. A photo of my rig on the Hoh river and a shot of the quarry below. More in my Angling gallery on flickr -
https://flic.kr/s/aHskSK8A6U

Winter steelhead is winding down for me now and I'm getting amped up for spring chinook.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Awesome! Hooked up with Scott Hoffman ( @NV.Recon ) from Reno and we had a great time. Scott got his largest fish to date, a 15lber! I parked my rig on the beach and never moved it for three days. Never leave fish to find fish. Camping was perfect with the winds calm in the morning and evening. A wonderful time for sure!

View attachment 51835 View attachment 51836 View attachment 51837 View attachment 51839 View attachment 51838 View attachment 51840
Glad to hear you had a great trip. Pyramid Lake is a unique place and fishing off a ladder is a unique experience. I love coming over that last hill and seeing the lake first thing in the morning. I sure hope I can get up there next month. I'm getting the "Pyramid Itch" real bad!

Reactions: NWNavigator

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Glad to hear you had a great trip. Pyramid Lake is a unique place and fishing off a ladder is a unique experience. I love coming over that last hill and seeing the lake first thing in the morning. I sure hope I can get up there next month. I'm getting the "Pyramid Itch" real bad!
As a first timer, and not knowing the best route, it was a bit worrisome to travel quite a ways out of Susanville with much of that on gravel roads and find this.... just kept going anyway. Wasn't any worse than the Deschutes canyon road in the fall....

RoadClosed.jpg

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I haven't fished since the first of February :tired: To make things worse, I just attended the International Fly Fishing Film Festival and the Fly Fishing Film Tour within the last week. My itch is now a full blown rash!!! If I don't get to get out there soon, I'm afraid I might end up in the ER........

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Heading out to fly fish but still new at what fly to use. I going to fish the kern river north of Bakersfield CA this month. Any tips on what fly for fishing for trout? I will hit the fly store for additional tips too. Rain or shine I'm going.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
We were gonna head up to the Kern last week but it was still blown out from recent rains. I've been trying to get up to the Kern for over 2 months now, but every time I think I'm gonna make it, the weather decides to throw me a curve ball. I guess sometime you just have to go and hope for the best.

I'm fairly new myself, but if I remember correctly, the lower Kern was fishing a bit better as the water was a bit cleaner and there was a BWO and March Brown hatch going off in the afternoons when the sun heated the water up a bit. Guy Jeans, the best known guide in that area runs the Kern River Fly Shop and he sends out a weekly (roughly) e-mail report with videos, info. on current conditions, water/weather temps, what flies are working, Etc. You should be able to get signed up for his reports on his web-site.

Last edited:

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Cool, I'm going to fish the Johnson Dale Bridge and hike up next month. I'll check that website out. I stop at that Fly shop on the way back from Manache Meadow.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Anyone do any fly fishing for American Shad in the Sacramento Valley area? I was thinking about heading up Monday, June 4th for a few days of shad fishing, as this seems to be a good time to catch them during their spawning run. My rough plan is to fish with a guide out of a boat at least 1 day and at least an additional day of shore fishing. I just got my first two handed rod and am trying to get my casting up to par enough to swing a fly from the banks.

The equipment, flies, techniques and time of day seem pretty straight forward. That being said, I'd gladly take any company, advice, tips, suggestions on guides, roughly where to get started, Etc.

Thanks,
Glen

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Just returned from my annual Mako Shark fishing adventure in San Diego. Slow fishing, but still managed to interact with a few fish over the course of three days. While not super technical fly fishing, it is very visual. Sight casting to Makos on the surface isn't for everyone, but it is kind of fun. I bring 10, 12, 13, 14 and 15 wt rods for this trip and choose the right stick for the fish that shows up. This trip the 12 did most of the work as the fish were in the 60-80 lbs. class. Once hooked they are very active and can jump several times their length into the air. You just can't believe how fast they are until you see them charging your fly. They are very hard fighters and tricky to release once brought to the boat. For perspective, the popper or "fly" is about 14-16 inches long. Like I said, not for everyone, but a lot of fun and a great excuse to hang out in San Diego and eat Mexican food for a few days...

Sharktrip-6122.jpg Sharktrip-6134.jpg Sharktrip-6161.jpg Sharktrip-6185.jpg Sharktrip-6200.jpg Sharktrip-6224.jpg

Attachments

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Just returned from my annual Mako Shark fishing adventure in San Diego. Slow fishing, but still managed to interact with a few fish over the course of three days. While not super technical fly fishing, it is very visual. Sight casting to Makos on the surface isn't for everyone, but it is kind of fun. I bring 10, 12, 13, 14 and 15 wt rods for this trip and choose the right stick for the fish that shows up. This trip the 12 did most of the work as the fish were in the 60-80 lbs. class. Once hooked they are very active and can jump several times their length into the air. You just can't believe how fast they are until you see them charging your fly. They are very hard fighters and tricky to release once brought to the boat. For perspective, the popper or "fly" is about 14-16 inches long. Like I said, not for everyone, but a lot of fun and a great excuse to hang out in San Diego and eat Mexican food for a few days...

View attachment 59099 View attachment 59100 View attachment 59101 View attachment 59102 View attachment 59103 View attachment 59104
Fun trip! Who'd you fish with? I went went out with Dave Kwak, at that time was with Conway Bowman. I used my 10wt. Most of the time. It's a humbling experience trying to cast those flies. Glad you had a good time. FB_IMG_1440706782214.jpg

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Fun trip! Who'd you fish with? I went went out with Dave Kwak, at that time was with Conway Bowman. I used my 10wt. Most of the time. It's a humbling experience trying to cast those flies. Glad you had a good time. View attachment 59125

I've fished with Conway the last 4-5 years at different times of the year. We've become good friends and have a special project we'll be working on.... coming to a theater near you! Hint: we tested a Tenkara rod out on Mackerel, now it's time to go big or go home...

The best line I've found to cast those chicken flies is the Bermuda short from Wulff... I have it from 12-15. It will carry the big poppers and I can cast them 60-70 ft no worries. Of course you don't need to cast that far most of the time...

Sharktrip-6249.jpg