First trip in the new rig

• HTML tutorial

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

We (my girlfriend, the dog, and I) are planning our first trip in my new to me 2014 Toyota Tacoma, and I am really excited to hit the road. We have spent the last month getting the truck as prepared as we can afford and we are ready for some adventure.
The idea is Austin to Phoenix and back over the course of 7 days with a 2 day layover with family in Phoenix. The rest of the time will be spent camping and exploring various state and national parks along the way. We are planning to take a more southern route out (NOT THE 10) and come back a more northern route to see more stuff, more parks, and different terrain on the journey.
So far I have only put together a loose plan for the trip out, and am looking for any input or suggestions on great places to camp, wheel, hike, swim, eat, take a photo or whatever other exciting thing y'all have to recommend.
Our loose plan is as follows:
Day 1 - Austin to Guadalupe Mountain National Park to camp
Day 2 - White Sands exploration and off to Lincoln National Forest area for the second night of camping
Day 3 - Tombstone (this is a non negotiable stop lol) depending on time head straight up to Phoenix or camp somewhere in the Coronado National Forest area.
Day 4 - Spend with family in Phoenix
Day 5 - More family time and roll out mid afternoon. Camp spot TBD
Day 6 - TBD
Day 7 - TBD (end at home that night)

Any input or cool spots that we should check out are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: SLO Rob

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@sarsaparilla I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoy looking to see what sort of quaint, goofy attractions are along or near our path while traveling. I have RoadsideAmerica.com bookmarked on my cellular-enabled iPad, and Deb looks to see what weird things are coming up. I don't use the application, because while the first section is free, additional sections require a fee. The web site works fine for free. You never know what you might find!

Reactions: SLO Rob

sarsaparilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

@sarsaparilla I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoy looking to see what sort of quaint, goofy attractions are along or near our path while traveling. I have RoadsideAmerica.com bookmarked on my cellular-enabled iPad, and Deb looks to see what weird things are coming up. I don't use the application, because while the first section is free, additional sections require a fee. The web site works fine for free. You never know what you might find!
That is a great idea, ill have to check that out today and get it set up for the trip. Thanks!

Reactions: Steve