First Timer Here - Ontario to the Rock (Newfoundland)

• HTML tutorial

Hosemonkey143

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bradford, Ontario
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Brouwer
Member #

Hello All,

Rookie overlander Pete from Ontario here. I posted a similar thread in the Atlantic Canada section but figured this was a more appropriate location. It looks like the stars have aligned and I was able to get approximately 3 weeks off in August. I am trying to plan an eastern Canada overland trip and definitely would love to hit up Cape Breton and Newfoundland.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to get a few short weekend trips to Halifax and Charlottetown during weekend leave from CFB Gagetown but it left me wanting to check out a lot more of the east coast. My plan is to set off from Ontario and make my way east, exploring as much of the hidden gems as possible.

I've searched the forums and looked through previous trips but wondering if anyone would have some input on great spots to check out or places to stay. Id love to be on dirt road as much as possible. I've been passed along some great info from a fellow OB member regarding the iOverland App and freecamping.net, GravelTravel websites.

Thank you in advance,

Pete
"dirt every day!"

Traveler I

Hello Pete,

It has been a couple of decades since my family and I went out east but some of the interesting things that I can remember is that Cabot Trail, Bay of Fundy, and the Tidal Bore were some of the memorable moments.

Unfortunately, I can not recommend an overlanding areas to visit as we where traveling with a convoy of 30+ foot RVs and our only mode of transport other than the RV was bicycles. Anyhow, I have been thinking of heading east but more overlanding style so if you could share your experiences as I am also a rookie overlander.

Reactions: Hosemonkey143

Hosemonkey143

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bradford, Ontario
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Brouwer
Member #

Hello Pete,

It has been a couple of decades since my family and I went out east but some of the interesting things that I can remember is that Cabot Trail, Bay of Fundy, and the Tidal Bore were some of the memorable moments.

Unfortunately, I can not recommend an overlanding areas to visit as we where traveling with a convoy of 30+ foot RVs and our only mode of transport other than the RV was bicycles. Anyhow, I have been thinking of heading east but more overlanding style so if you could share your experiences as I am also a rookie overlander.
Hey Chris,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to keep a log of our trip along with photos!

Thanks,

Pete