First snowstorm - Got to test the Falken AT3W in snow......

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I picked them because they were in stock, priced right and I only got about 40K out of my last Mastercraft's.

I'm not (ever) in the mood for "supply chain" issues.

I'm an American, damnit, I want what I want RIGHT NOW.....
It's funny you say that. When I was shopping tires a couple years ago, I had my eye on 3 similar tires. It came down to, "Which one can I get installed Thursday for the trip I'm leaving for Saturday? The answer at that time was Grabber MTs. I have been delighted with them, but I haven't had an AT in over a decade. Might be nice to try a set out again to see what the modern compounds are like.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have seen more Falkens over the last few years but have never tried them. I gave up on the BFG KOs a few years ago as they seemed to become slicks in the wet at about 50% remaining tread life and went to Coopers after one try of the Yokos (we are talking 1990s here) and have never really felt the need to go elsewhere. Does that mean Coopers are better, probably not but just as good, but when a brand does well by me I tend to stick with them. I can always be convinced otherwise I guess.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have been in every type of weather with ours now and we are believers in this tire. I drive ALOT of KMs. They are great in snow, rain, dry dirt, and more. We don't do mud so I am not sure what they are like for that, but not what I bought them for anyways. The AT3W will be on all our rigs.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
AT4W is now up on Falken website. More aggressive sidewall, tighter treadblocks & more siping! They made a great winter tire better!
Ooo, nice! Going to be a hard choice when it comes time for new tires, one bummer is that they're not offering a 265/70R17 in anything but an LR E tire, which I don't want to run on my mid-size truck. Closest is a 265/65R17.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
So, since we finally got our patriot rebuilt and fully restored to proper driving condition, including our new Falken AT3W tires, we have been enjoying driving the rig again. Besides a nasty clunk in the suspension the Jeep has been exceeding all our expectations. Fast forward to this morning, and I wake up to a blanket of white. So, I could not wait to try out the Falkens in snow. I am very pleased to report they are AWESOME in snow, slush and sloppy road conditions. They just bite into the snow, grip and pull the Jeep along. Not sliding around etc.

I highly recommend these tires for most every Overland rig. They have great on road manners, great off road manners (besides deep mud) and great in the snow and rain. They are winners in the tire category. I have run BFG, Coopers, Toyo, kumhos and a few off brands. The Falkens are the best I have ever run on any rig. Highly recommended for sure!
Thanks for this post and follow up. Great info

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I would like to see them compared to the Grabber AT.
I have run Wildpeaks on my XJ, Suburban, Silverado, Touareg, and Samurai for years. Several months ago I bought an H3T with Grabbers already installed. The Grabbers have been terrible tires. They have decent off-road grip and handle well, but they wear terribly and are very noisy compared to the Wildpeaks. I will be replacing them soon with Wildpeaks even though they still have better than 50% tread on them.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I would like to see them compared to the Grabber AT.
I have run Wildpeaks on my XJ, Suburban, Silverado, Touareg, and Samurai for years. Several months ago I bought an H3T with Grabbers already installed. The Grabbers have been terrible tires. They have decent off-road grip and handle well, but they wear terribly and are very noisy compared to the Wildpeaks. I will be replacing them soon with Wildpeaks even though they still have better than 50% tread on them.
That’s a shame! The Grabber X3s have been great, I just wonder if I bought more tire than I needed going with the MT. Sounds like I made the right choice!

Reactions: Z Adventures

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm running the AT3's on my Tacoma and love them. I need to loose the BFG's on my Cruiser. Americas tire says "coming soon" on the AT4's. Hopefully soon.

Right now their showing $330 for LT315 /75 R16 127R E2 BSW. That's less money then my KO2's that I'm no longer impressed with.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Ooo, nice! Going to be a hard choice when it comes time for new tires, one bummer is that they're not offering a 265/70R17 in anything but an LR E tire, which I don't want to run on my mid-size truck. Closest is a 265/65R17.
Apparently the size chart was incomplete when I looked at it, Falken has added more sizes for the A/T4w, including a non-LRE 265/70R17.

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
FWIW, I ran a set for 55K and they were great in the snow on a very light truck (2860lbs). Swapped to Toyo Open Country AT3s and they seem to be just as good in the snow so far (only 3k on them and one snowstorm); I switched only due to the wildpeaks not being available in the oddball size I was looking for. otherwise, I woulda gotten the Falkens again no question. Also just had a buddy get a second set of Falkens for his 4runner. the first set was really lacking snow tracking due to them being around 4-5/32nds, but the new ones are wayyyy better.

TL;DR - multiple sets, happy, but they lose some grunt with higher miles when it comes to snow traction.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
TL;DR - multiple sets, happy, but they lose some grunt with higher miles when it comes to snow traction.
The new Wildpeak A/T4w should address that, they will have full-depth sipes compared to the A/T3w which don't.

EDIT: The A/T3w do have full-depth sipes as well, the way I read some reviews implied this was a new feature.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
they were and continue to be the best all-around tire I've run. Quite, capable, great wear, ride and handle really well. Glad to hear you're happy with them!
Mine seem to be wearing fast, and since they are not siped through the entire tread, the winter traction has diminished somewhat. I think the AT4W is siped the entire tread so that should help alot with the winter grip. As for wear, I am going to the dealer and having a treadwear test done.

I am buying them again, but it will be the at4w this time.