First snowstorm - Got to test the Falken AT3W in snow......

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So, since we finally got our patriot rebuilt and fully restored to proper driving condition, including our new Falken AT3W tires, we have been enjoying driving the rig again. Besides a nasty clunk in the suspension the Jeep has been exceeding all our expectations. Fast forward to this morning, and I wake up to a blanket of white. So, I could not wait to try out the Falkens in snow. I am very pleased to report they are AWESOME in snow, slush and sloppy road conditions. They just bite into the snow, grip and pull the Jeep along. Not sliding around etc.

I highly recommend these tires for most every Overland rig. They have great on road manners, great off road manners (besides deep mud) and great in the snow and rain. They are winners in the tire category. I have run BFG, Coopers, Toyo, kumhos and a few off brands. The Falkens are the best I have ever run on any rig. Highly recommended for sure!

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
I highly recommend these tires for most every Overland rig. They have great on road manners, great off road manners (besides deep mud) and great in the snow and rain. They are winners in the tire category. I have run BFG, Coopers, Toyo, kumhos and a few off brands. The Falkens are the best I have ever run on any rig. Highly recommended for sure!
Thanks! I keep coming back to BFG AT KO2, but was eyeballing these Falken AT3W at the shop just this morning.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Thanks! I keep coming back to BFG AT KO2, but was eyeballing these Falken AT3W at the shop just this morning.
I was a faithful KO2 user for a while, but the AT3W are a much better version. I bought a set of cheap MT tires for my last JKU and they were crap. I should have just had the falkens then. They are awesome.

Reactions: JeepingMike

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I'll likely switch back to the A/T3W once my Duratracs wear out (part of me hopes they have a short life because I really haven't been impressed with them), they were and continue to be the best all-around tire I've run. Quite, capable, great wear, ride and handle really well. Glad to hear you're happy with them!

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Just bought my second set of Wild Peaks for the 4runner. I have been very happy with their performance in the snow. About the only condition I haven't used them in is deep snow on an unbroken trail.

atc250r

Rank I

Contributor I

Orange County, NY
First Name
John
Last Name
Ried
Had them on my last truck (2015 Ram 1500) for almost 30,000 miles. I used the truck for long road trips in the summer and getting to my cousin's camp upstate for snowmobiling in the winter which often involved snow covered roads and they were great. Probably going to get them for my Tacoma when I do a wheel and tire package.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I like them well enough on my XJ that I got a set for the Suburban too.

I am going to strongly encourage Varmint #1 to put them on his XJ (currently a project).

HatchetMatt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fort Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Pancake
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RFN
Service Branch
USMC
So, since we finally got our patriot rebuilt and fully restored to proper driving condition, including our new Falken AT3W tires, we have been enjoying driving the rig again. Besides a nasty clunk in the suspension the Jeep has been exceeding all our expectations. Fast forward to this morning, and I wake up to a blanket of white. So, I could not wait to try out the Falkens in snow. I am very pleased to report they are AWESOME in snow, slush and sloppy road conditions. They just bite into the snow, grip and pull the Jeep along. Not sliding around etc.

I tried those tires on my Tacoma and experienced my 1st need to use the maxxtrax and winch in the snow. Previously had BFG MT's and never got stuck.
I don't recommend them myself.
Just put some Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on the RAM 2500 4X4. No snow experience yet. Will advise.
Also have had good experience with Toyo M608Z on the All Terrain Warrior.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I tried those tires on my Tacoma and experienced my 1st need to use the maxxtrax and winch in the snow. Previously had BFG MT's and never got stuck.
I don't recommend them myself.
Just put some Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on the RAM 2500 4X4. No snow experience yet. Will advise.
Also have had good experience with Toyo M608Z on the All Terrain Warrior.
If the vehicle is a strictly off-road vehicle then MTs can work great in the deep stuff. Problem is, they suck on pavement in the wet and in light snow/ice and are generally a poor daily-driver tire (I've run MTs on multiple vehicles and almost had an incident near Tahoe with light snow on the road and running BFG MTs). As such, I don't recommend MTs for daily driver use or on-pavement use. The Wildpeaks have been a great all-around tire, even in fresh snow. The only time I had anything close to an issue with them in the snow was due to digging and starting to cause me to become high-centered. I never had to use traction boards in those scenarios as I was always able to back out, I never just sent it and hoped for the best because...I'd rather not have to self-recover. :)

HatchetMatt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fort Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Pancake
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RFN
Service Branch
USMC
Hmm? I drove all the way from Reno around N.Tahoe to S.Tahoe and over Hwy50 to Sac in snow and never had any traction issue with BFG MT's. with a 2014 Tacoma TRD Offroad. But it had truck has a very Traction Control System.
I did build though as an expedition rig at first. Then we retired FLED CA and survived a few months in it in Death Valley and surrounding deserts in the midst of 2017 winter. The worst winter in CA in 10 years I might add;-)
It was rough in a RTT.
That was the impetous for buying the All Terrain Warrior Alpha Camper.
Happy Trails with what ever you run, I guess our mileage may vary!

Reactions: Alan S

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Hmm? I drove all the way from Reno around N.Tahoe to S.Tahoe and over Hwy50 to Sac in snow and never had any traction issue with BFG MT's. with a 2014 Tacoma TRD Offroad. But it had truck has a very Traction Control System.
I did build though as an expedition rig at first. Then we retired FLED CA and survived a few months in it in Death Valley and surrounding deserts in the midst of 2017 winter. The worst winter in CA in 10 years I might add;-)
It was rough in a RTT.
That was the impetous for buying the All Terrain Warrior Alpha Camper.
Happy Trails with what ever you run, I guess our mileage may vary!
The near-incident I had with BFG MTs was when there was light snow/slush on the pavement, the lack of siping meant the tires couldn't "bite" and it's that lack of siping that makes MTs sketchy in mixed conditions or even extreme cold (tread compound getting harder + lack of siping). If siping won't help in the conditions you're driving in then the MTs aren't bad, but again it depends. When I relocated from CA to IL back in 2015 I had a 2015 JKUR with the stock BFG MTs. Being the snow-lover that I am and finally living in an area that actually got snow (and ice) I also got to play around a bit along with normal daily driving, I wouldn't say I had any real problems but I also knew to be careful with the MTs and if there was snow on the ground I was in 4WD.

I also found this video useful as it can help to demonstrate how differently (or not) different tire types work in the snow. I won't spoil the results, just give it a watch. :D

HatchetMatt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fort Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Pancake
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RFN
Service Branch
USMC
Thanx for the video will have to watch later but you did trigger a memory.
I had my BFG MT's siped.
Nitto Trail Grapplers have deep shoulder block siping and central siping. Trail Grappler | Nitto Tire
No I am not associated with or compensated in any way with Nitto or BFG.

Reactions: DRAX

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I had MT's on my F150 one time. Even had them pinned for studs. I was going to the airport to bring the ex bastard-in-law to get his flight, in a big snowstorm and the truck looped around on us so fast. You had no time to react. The next morning i had those off the truck, dedicated winter tires on and sold the MTs. I only used one other set and they were no better in snow. It was during the pandemic on my JKU so we never went anywhere thankfully. The wildpeaks are awesome in comparison to any MT I have used.

We had another snowfall, and I could not get out to plow the driveway, until yesterday evening. the tires performed awesome. Previously the patriot would have a wild fishtailing in heavy snow/sloppy roads. now, it's PLANTED. What a difference. These tires are the real deal for an all rounder.

Reactions: Flamewave and DRAX

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Got them! The local shop happened to have a set of the right size AT3's that were barely used, not even all the nubs wore off. So I grabbed them for a good deal. Bring on winter! And, of course, spring wheeling...

Attachments