Woodsman56

Rank I

Enthusiast I

All Over
First Name
Penn
Last Name
Murfee
Hi all - could use some help on a new vehicle. I plan to use it as an everyday driver and hunting/exploring/off-roading vehicle. I don’t need or want a Raptor as I’m not trying to fly around in the desert for fun. I want to confidently mob around rough back country for hunting and go for extended camping trips with my dog. I plan to have an iKamper 3.0 mini roof top tent on a bed rack along with other essential gear.

I’ve been looking at the F150 Tremor and Tundra TRD Off-Road. The TRD Pro is out bc of hybrid engine and lower payload/towing. There are some slight differences, but both come with cool driving modes, rear lockers, skid plates, etc…

Which would you go with (giving you full permission to spend someone else’s money here)? For the Tundra I’d get the standard non-hybrid engine, and the Ford I’m not sure (either 3.5 twin turbo v6 or 5.0 V8 Coyote available). Or would the FX4 F150 with a few mods be more economical than the Tremor yet just as capable?

Would I need to upgrade anything on them other than a front bumper with bull bar and winch (I go solo and am in deer/elk country a lot)? Are the suspensions good enough as is? Would I need to put a lift on either model? Both can handle 35 in tires without lift kit.

Thanks everyone!!

Reactions: MazeVX

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I saw a Tremor for the first time last weekend. Beautiful truck but all show. Looked almost custom.
Custom will not handle the off road. Paint is expensive. LMAO
Zim

Woodsman56

Rank I

Enthusiast I

All Over
First Name
Penn
Last Name
Murfee
I saw a Tremor for the first time last weekend. Beautiful truck but all show. Looked almost custom.
Zim
I agree with what you said that Tremors have a showy appearance - the Tremor package used to be purely appearance. However, Tundras have paint that get can scratched too…Tremor has dual tube shocks in the back as opposed to monotube. I’ve tried reading about the differences in suspension but haven’t gotten anything concrete yet. Tremor comes with option for Torsen differential as well. Let’s say I go with Tundra, how much would I have to upgrade to have a bulletproof off-roader?

Reactions: DintDobbs

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Zim
I agree with what you said that Tremors have a showy appearance - the Tremor package used to be purely appearance. However, Tundras have paint that get can scratched too…Tremor has dual tube shocks in the back as opposed to monotube. I’ve tried reading about the differences in suspension but haven’t gotten anything concrete yet. Tremor comes with option for Torsen differential as well. Let’s say I go with Tundra, how much would I have to upgrade to have a bulletproof off-roader?
I dont think a "bulletproof" off road vehicle exists. even one that is built for 100% off road has its limits. As long as you can navigate and stay within the limits you are good. The answer lies in what do you want to do? what is the terrain you want to handle? trail difficulty etc. After you answer all these, you have to factor in gear, equipment, food, water, other people/pets, that will all affect upgrades needed and what is really the max capability, with upgrades, of the trails you want to pass.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I dont think a "bulletproof" off road vehicle exists. even one that is built for 100% off road has its limits. As long as you can navigate and stay within the limits you are good. The answer lies in what do you want to do? what is the terrain you want to handle? trail difficulty etc. After you answer all these, you have to factor in gear, equipment, food, water, other people/pets, that will all affect upgrades needed and what is really the max capability, with upgrades, of the trails you want to pass.
German Unimog is bullet proof but no one can afford it. LOL
Zim

Reactions: Woodsman56 and K12

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am a F150 fan and I would go with a coyote motor. The turbo V6 has had some issues. There are lots of Toyota fans here, it's been my experience that they don't hold up as well with loads. YMMV. Both have plenty of upgrades in the aftermarket world. After little trucks and 1/2 ton truck I've stepped up to 3/4 ton.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Tremor comes with option for Torsen
Regardless of what truck you go with I can't sing the praises of a Torsen style traction device enough. Mechanical design that transfers torque automatically, they're great for everything save the most extreme terrain.

If you really want bulletproof, nothin wrong with a much older built rig. But I'm assuming you asked about new Fords or Toyotas for the modern comforts. While I'm no Toyota fan, a buddy of mine runs an auto shop and swears by them generally but hates the Ford ecoboost with a fiery passion. Just my 2 cents

Woodsman56

Rank I

Enthusiast I

All Over
First Name
Penn
Last Name
Murfee
Just me and my dog. By no means am I doing soup bowl or anything. I’m never gearing up to go “ride trails.” I’m out there hunting or camping as far away from people as possible. Going where there aren’t necessarily two track roads.

Woodsman56

Rank I

Enthusiast I

All Over
First Name
Penn
Last Name
Murfee
Regardless of what truck you go with I can't sing the praises of a Torsen style traction device enough. Mechanical design that transfers torque automatically, they're great for everything save the most extreme terrain.

If you really want bulletproof, nothin wrong with a much older built rig. But I'm assuming you asked about new Fords or Toyotas for the modern comforts. While I'm no Toyota fan, a buddy of mine runs an auto shop and swears by them generally but hates the Ford ecoboost with a fiery passion. Just my 2 cents
Good to know thank you! I had no idea what it was before I saw the option. Been reading about Torsten this afternoon.
And modern comforts not necessarily…if I could turn back the odometer on my Tacoma to 0 miles I wouldn’t be having this discussion haha. Even with the AC working 50% of the time and the electrical crapped out. I wish I could order a new truck with JUST the stuff I needed/wanted and keep it bare bones. But manufacturers are clumping these packages so in order to get the rear locking differential I have to get a whole bunch of other BS along with it.
I’ve loved my Tacoma and have enjoyed the reliability of Toyota, the new Tundra iForce engine is an attempt by Toyota to mimic the EcoBoost…so it’s either pick one of the turbo boosted ones or the Coyote in the Ford. Or look at different vehicles entirely. Thanks y’all I appreciate everyone chiming in!!

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Just me and my dog. By no means am I doing soup bowl or anything. I’m never gearing up to go “ride trails.” I’m out there hunting or camping as far away from people as possible. Going where there aren’t necessarily two track roads.
If thats they case i think either will be abke to get you where you want with minimal mandatory modification. I have a 2500 pulling a 26' trailer and I can get just about anywhere I want to go and all ive really done to it is airbags on the rear suspension. If its just you in the truck with dog you should be good. Just my opinion and experience.

Reactions: Woodsman56

Woodsman56

Rank I

Enthusiast I

All Over
First Name
Penn
Last Name
Murfee
If thats they case i think either will be abke to get you where you want with minimal mandatory modification. I have a 2500 pulling a 26' trailer and I can get just about anywhere I want to go and all ive really done to it is airbags on the rear suspension. If its just you in the truck with dog you should be good. Just my opinion and experience.
Much appreciated thank you!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ve been driving Ford Pickups since 1970. Back then it was a 64 F100 used on our farm. Then we got a new 70’ the fall of 69 and I got to drive that once in a while. I bought my own 64’ F-100 in ‘74 and and in ‘77 I had a ‘60 . F100. I’ve since owned several more after that and currently keep a ‘90 Ford Ranger. Needless to say, I like Ford Pickups. I also have owned 3 Toyotas; a 40 series early on and currently am in an 80 series/LX450. My wife’s dd is a RAV4. If you are serious about long range overlanding then use a Ford as a daily driver and use a Toyota on your trips. Take a look at what non-sponsored overlanders world wide are using. Old Toyotas, Defenders and MBs . I’ll take a well kept 20 year old vehicle any time over anything new. Just my humble opinion, but if you must buy new? Your call. What are you using it for?

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Tundra, but agree, nothing is bullet proof. and if it was, what fun would it be never doing a field repair!!! Have fun
whiskey7backroads.com

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i'd go with a tundra. i dont think toyotas are good because i have one...i have one because i think they are good.
i have an '18 with a V-8 and it excels at everything except gas mileage, but that is a trade off i knew going into it and still happy to make.
i can do most of the same things i used to do with my ram 2500, including pulling my excavator. the excavator is well beyond its rated weight limit and i dont do it often...BUT it is nice to know that the tundra can push the limits if needs be. its just a very reliable and dependable vehicle and with a shell and a few other bolt on accessories...we take it everywhere with no problems.

Last edited:

Sequoiadendron

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Arizona, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
Sequoia
Member #

Tacomas are nearly bulletproof as you likely know so another Tacoma? If you absolutely need more payload/towing then go full size, only downside is slightly less mpg and making narrow trails a little more paint scratchy

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Sequoiadendron A little more paint scratchy? Ha ha! My 102" WB, 66" track can't fit down some local trails because it's too tall and wide, and I have actually had it high-centered once (on a tree... don't ask).

If dimensions are a concern, a full-size should be out of the question, in general. If he needs more power and weight-carrying, dimensions are a calculated sacrifice in favor of those.