• HTML tutorial

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

First upgrade? My biggest concern at this point after getting the mechanicals sorted, I.e. The reliability factors, is making sure the suspension can handle the weight. My recovery kit is solid, hi-lift jack, straps ect. Was thinking of going a couple inches lift for articulation and to help with the the load bearing issues on a rear leafs. Should I go suspension or protection first? Think Midwest trail more than rock climbing or mudding.
Any advice is always appreciated.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey @lubootgater,

My opinion, go for the lift if by protection you mean under-body armor! If you are not rock crawling, you won't use the armor, on the other hand, you will use the lift regardless for ride, load, water, mud, and clearance. Also, the lift will help avoid the need for armor. If you mean bumper, I recommend critical upgrades in this order:

1. Rack
2. Lights
3. Front Bumper
4. Tires (if tires fit without lift)
5. Lift
6. Sliders
7. Rear Bumper

Reactions: RicketyOnion

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

Skid plates, ECT. More stumps then rocks in this neck of woods. Thank you for the list, still trying to figure out the sustainability of a Cherokee for this new found passion.
We have always been avid campers, paddlers and tailgaters. Believe it or not, been using a MINI Countryman successfully the last few years but as more gear is purchased and the trips turn farther afield and off road it was time to pick up a dedicated vehicle. At this point I intend to use the jeep for a learning tool and possibly upgrade the rig in the next few years. Thanks again for the info!

Reactions: rockymntjeeper
E

expeditionnorth

to the list I would also add to move your differential vents/hoses up as high as possible with an extension kit

Reactions: rockymntjeeper