First Modifications/Add ons for general Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

B^2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I'm wondering what modifications people usually do/recommend before getting into some light overlanding. I've got a 2017 Colorado crew cab z71(midnight edition with Goodyear Wrangler Duratractires) with the longer bed and I want to begin exploring a bit with my wife and our soon to be born child. I know things like skid plates and rockers are probably a good idea but I wasn't sure what items are "must haves" vs "nice to have". I don't intend to do any harsh trails but I want to make sure I'm well prepared for exploring some back roads. Suggestions appreciated and specific links to products would be helpful.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

You will find a lot of similar questions here and in the Rig Q&A forum. The best answer is to take it out and explore just as it is. See where *your* particular use comes up short, and then look at upgrades. There are a lot of folks on here exploring in stock Subarus, Volvos, Kia Souls, etc, and they get way off the beaten path on fire roads and forest roads.

It is trendy to have a bunch of stuff on your vehicle, and I have fallen for a few, too. Many of us have. Like any hiking or exploring, a first aid kit is a great thing to have in the truck,. But there's nothing that you really must have to get out and explore.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I agree with steve.. also your particular location also plays a factor. Diff areas have diff type of trails that require diff items... If it were me the top two would be a good set of tires and first aid kit. but also don't forget to take a class to learn how to use the first aid kit. A min first aid/ cpr certification.

-Raul

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
I agree with whats been said. Tires are usually my first move, sounds like you don't need to change those for now. Maybe add a camera so you can take some photos of all the fun adventure trips you'll be going on:tonguewink:.

Oh, I would get a full-size spare and goto a 5 tire rotation to keep them all in similar a similar wear pattern.

Armor is usually a good first too, but not necessary if you are more of a "stick to the road" person (IMO). Maybe get a good GPS app that stores maps for offline use and a solid phone mount. With the Colorado, you might want to remove the front air dam if you want a better approach angle. I think your truck is pretty much ready to go. Have fun!

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My priorities: 1) first aid kit and CPR class.2)shelter rtt or ground tent or hammock.3)food storeage and food for the trip (fresh to precooked).4)one and half gallons of water per person per day, add water for all types of cleaning.5)plan a short trip to start and test your setup.6)turn off the lights, turn the ac up to 75, lock the doors and close the garage, if the phone rings don't answer it unless it is a family emergency, and if work calls-put it in the glove box and turn the radio up (vogner,chopian babies love the classics). 7) most important thing I almost forgot, Have Fun.

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
Superskidz for the truck are awesome and saved my oil pan on my zr2.

589 shock skids are awesome, as that is he lowest part of your truck.

Tires are awesome, and you can run up to a 33 with a level kit.

But that’s about it for easy truck stuff. Other than that, it’s safety, food, comfort gear for yourself.

Reactions: Horse Soldier