What fire extinguisher to choose

• 5lb

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • 10lb

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
E

Eric the Eric

I usually carry x2 5 lbs fire extinguishers (ABC), but recently doing small expeditions in wild-land fire hazardous areas I have been carrying a hand pump on my 5 gallon H20 Jerry cans. I know its not much (barely a dent), but any little bit can help if there is a small fire started by accident. Also doubles as a bit of a shower too.
I like to carry a little baking soda for grease fire on the portable stove rather than waste an extinguisher.
I have been lucky never to of needed to use any for fires.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
This where I would like to mount at least one. Quickly within reach, and strapped in
is good.
Another point I failed to make concerns the bracket some brands offer. Those that expressed a concern with a flying extinguisher, you have a very definitive and valid point. Always get one with a steel bracket strap over a plastic one. Better yet depending on the model, some also offer a DUAL BAND STRAP for extra security. This is the one I would purchase if you need a little extra peace of mind. About 1.0 extra seconds to release from the bracket.

Last edited:

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I use these element extinguishers. They are compact, they don’t expire or loose charge bouncing down a trail. Pretty handy, Clean look mounted on the truck too!
Ordered one the other day. One of the vehicle requirements for Overlandbound Rally Southeast 2019 and I needed one anyway.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
2.5#, mounted on the rear roll bar, with quick releaseView attachment 93454
For motorsports, those quick release brackets are great. A very secure method of attachment. I would recomed them as a attachment option.

I use one on my ATV on the rear rack, and it only takes a couple of seconds to have in your hand. My BIL uses 2x on his Polaris Razor rollbar for the same reason. They are a mandatory item for off road racing.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've obviously been misled with bad information.. I carry a BC extinguisher in the vehicle and an ABC extinguisher in the trailer. The trailer's is on the rear deck in the kitchen area. If any kind of fire happens, at camp we got it covered. The vehicle will either be a gasoline/petroleum products fire or an electrical fire. I don't believe there is a need for an ABC in the vehicle. Sure would be nice for some experts to chime in.. Thanks.

Reactions: Road

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

ABC typically is all you need. The K is mainly used for commercial kitchen type fires. Heavy grease, fats and oils. So unless your packing around a commercial grade kitchen in the back of your truck I’d say your probably good with an ABC. But if you are packing around a commercial grade kitchen in an overland vehicle share the pics!! I gotta see it

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've obviously been misled with bad information.. I carry a BC extinguisher in the vehicle and an ABC extinguisher in the trailer. The trailer's is on the rear deck in the kitchen area. If any kind of fire happens, at camp we got it covered. The vehicle will either be a gasoline/petroleum products fire or an electrical fire. I don't believe there is a need for an ABC in the vehicle. Sure would be nice for some experts to chime in.. Thanks.
Not sure what bad info you got...your set up sounds correct. I'm not an expert, but did have a lot of navy training on fires since fires on a submarine are big deal. The ABC extinguisher uses ammonium phosphate which works on all fires, but is best for type A fires because it forms a residue that coats hot embers, like wood, and helps keep from re-igniting. This type is not preferred for type C fires mainly because it is corrosive and can cause collateral damage to electrical components not damaged by the fire. That is where the Type BC is preferred because it uses potassium or sodium bicarbonate and isn't as damaging as the ammonium phosphate. I'm sure you heard of the fire triangle...fuel, heat and oxygen. Remove any one component and the fire is out. The dry chemical extinguishers all target displacing oxygen and smothering the fire.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not sure what bad info you got...your set up sounds correct. I'm not an expert, but did have a lot of navy training on fires since fires on a submarine are big deal. The ABC extinguisher uses ammonium phosphate which works on all fires, but is best for type A fires because it forms a residue that coats hot embers, like wood, and helps keep from re-igniting. This type is not preferred for type C fires mainly because it is corrosive and can cause collateral damage to electrical components not damaged by the fire. That is where the Type BC is preferred because it uses potassium or sodium bicarbonate and isn't as damaging as the ammonium phosphate. I'm sure you heard of the fire triangle...fuel, heat and oxygen. Remove any one component and the fire is out. The dry chemical extinguishers all target displacing oxygen and smothering the fire.
Thanks, that’s the info I’m familiar with.. the OP did state that “obviously we all use ABC extinguishers” well, we don’t and shouldn’t ..

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
ABC typically is all you need. The K is mainly used for commercial kitchen type fires. Heavy grease, fats and oils. So unless your packing around a commercial grade kitchen in the back of your truck I’d say your probably good with an ABC. But if you are packing around a commercial grade kitchen in an overland vehicle share the pics!! I gotta see it
The concern is that Yes, a ABC or BC will put that fire out, assuming the extinguisher is large enough, but the powder in it is somewhat toxic and corrosive. Years ago your choices were pretty much limited. Once Halon came on the market, options arose. Halon is the best choice right now, but I believe it is scheduled for retirement by the .gov people in a few years. The smallest i have seen is the automotive 2.5 size, but they are not cheap. No residue is its greatest asset as it sucks the oxygen from the source fire. This would be best around a vehicle. Use the BC or ABC for the stove in back or around camp. A 5 lb. would be a great size outside of a vehicles cabin. I acquired a old and used water style that most of us remember in school. The type the bully's and bad boys used as over sized squirt guns. It is a great camp asset, and more effective than that mandatory 5 gallon water jug needed in fire season in some states. 97275A dictionary type description:
Halon 1211 is a liquified gas, pressurized with nitrogen, which discharges as a vapor causing no cold or static shock and no impairment of the operator’s vision. This “CLEAN” agent quickly penetrates difficult to see and hard to reach areas and leaves no residue. :

What is Halon and How Does it Work? Halon is a "Clean Agent." The National Fire Protection Association defines, a "Clean Agent" as "an electrically non-conducting, volatile, or gaseous fire extinguishant that does not leave a residue upon evaporation." Halon is a liquefied, compressed gas that stops the spread of fire by chemically disrupting combustion.

Last edited:

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I have 3 5# extinguishers in my Willys. I have a 5# Halon (1211) and 2 5# ABC (3A, 40BC) mounted in steel brackets with rubber straps. I used to have a 5# Purple K but kept getting it and the 5# ABC confused so I went with 2 ABC's.

Yup, I know sounds like a lot of overkill. After the fire is out I have never once heard anyone complain about too many extinguishers or having one that didn't get used. Once things get to burning too much is just about right, especially if it's my stuff.

Here's a pic of the brackets I use, easy to use and secure.

extinguisher bracket.jpg

Wampa150

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Obviously an A,B,C, but what size do you like to carry?
I carry a pair of 2.5 (mostly due to fitment) so if I use one, I’ve got another backup. Two is one, one is none. Once they’ve been discharged, even a bit, they loose remaining pressure soon after. If I use one my first day out and then need it again at the end of the week, I may be SOL.

Wampa150

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Ordering one of these now, direct from the manufacturer. Anyone use the magnetic mount? How do you like it?
Those are sweet! Thanks for the post. Damn pricey but you can’t beat the size. $80 is a bargain compared to watching your rig burn down

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I have 3 5# extinguishers in my Willys. I have a 5# Halon (1211) and 2 5# ABC (3A, 40BC) mounted in steel brackets with rubber straps. I used to have a 5# Purple K but kept getting it and the 5# ABC confused so I went with 2 ABC's.

Yup, I know sounds like a lot of overkill. After the fire is out I have never once heard anyone complain about too many extinguishers or having one that didn't get used. Once things get to burning too much is just about right, especially if it's my stuff.

View attachment 129460
I like these mounts. Where do you get them?

Reactions: 64Trvlr

RetiredNotDead

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Howie
Last Name
Curtis
Member #

I use these element extinguishers. They are compact, they don’t expire or loose charge bouncing down a trail. Pretty handy, Clean look mounted on the truck too!
Same here... Element - Fire Extinguishers mine coming in from Canada. I keep it in the glove compartment. The E50 lasts about 50 seconds; non-corrosive and non-toxic , no residue; works effectively in temperatures from -140F to +320F ; no moving parts makes it unaffected by harsh environments or humidity. Element can safely be stored in damp and wet environments. No 'accidental' discharge. No service, upkeep or expiration. Weighs 0.6lbs (275grams)

elizer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northern Virginia
First Name
eli
Last Name
kim
Member #

I have two elements with magnetic mounts. I have a rear engine van and its tucked in right when you lift up the hatch. I also carry a standard extinguisher.

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

View attachment 129460
We use those same mounts on our fire engines and trucks but in a rollover they may not hold very well. Nothing holds the extinguisher from sliding up and out of the mount.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

RetiredNotDead

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Howie
Last Name
Curtis
Member #

I have two elements with magnetic mounts. I have a rear engine van and its tucked in right when you lift up the hatch. I also carry a standard extinguisher.
Mounted mine in the center console, using two Large Grip Hook (Everbilt) from HomeDepot...wanted to grab it in the middle , without offset/rattle

Attachments