Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I'd carry two 5lb before I carried a 10lb because the 5lb are typically easier to find good solid brackets to mount, and they are easier to handle. The last thing I want in a roll over is either size flying about my vehicle's cabin. Now if you're mounting it to the bumper on in a bed like on our local rescue squad rigs then a 10 is fine IMHO, I just don't one that big flying around IN the cab with me.

I typically strap my 5lb in the vehicles down with the "aviation/marine" brackets which double up on the steel straps to secure the extinguisher.
http://a.co/d/2MNrPS5

Last edited:

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
I'd carry two 5lb before I carried a 10lb because the 5lb are typically easier to find good solid brackets to mount, and they are easier to handle. The last thing I want in a roll over is either size flying about my vehicle's cabin.[/

That makes good sense! Especially in the case of a rollover!!

Reactions: Desert Runner

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Currently, I have a 2.5 lb extinguisher on the back roll bar of Red Five. That will be moved later today to the driver's area and a 5 lb extinguisher will be mounted in its place. For most applications, a 5 lb is all you need. That size is considered appropriate for a small room and should be able to handle any problems you run across without being too large to mount/handle. If you use up the 5 lb extinguisher and the fire is still going... it is time to evacuate.

Just remember that using an extinguisher is as simple as PASS:
  • Pull the pin
  • Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
  • Squeeze the trigger fully
  • Sweep from side to side covering the base of the fire
This might seem silly to have to state, but I am always amazed at the number of people who do not know how to properly use an extinguisher.

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
I carry 2, 2.5lbs. one up front under driver's seat, the other in the rear near the stove.

Reactions: Desert Runner

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Just remember that you will only get about one second of use per pound of extinguisher. So a 2.5 pound will only last about 2.5 seconds, 5lb--5 seconds and so on. As stated above the P.A.S.S. technique is the one to use. Pull the pin, Aim at the base of the fire, Squeeze the handle and Sweep side to side.

Reactions: firemen7

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Do you know of,anyone else who sells these? The website you provided is only offering preorders. Thanks
Looks similar to the ones they use in South Africa (SA). I saw a similar one on 4x Overland with Andrew, and his friend Paul, who runs a Overland rental Company.

I think they also carry a small conventional, that has unexpired inspection tags, because Border Guards sometimes do not recognize the new style as a fire extinguisher. Many countries there require one as mandatory.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I carry a 2.5lb under the front of the driver's seat.

I'd like to mount a 5 lb in the bed area at some point as well.

I also keep a cable cutters in the driver's door pocket as sometimes the fire is being fueled by power and a quick snip of the positive cable can help stop the fire.
This where I would like to mount at least one. Quickly within reach, and strapped in
is good.