Favorite Trail Meals

• HTML tutorial

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

breakfast, eggs (or fish i catch). Lunch, sandwich (or fish), snacks in between - Spaghetti O's with meatballs, franks n beans, easy stuff out of a can.

Dinner - steak / burgers / hot dogs, that kind of stuff (or fish I catch).

I usually keep the "add water" type stuff for reserve / emergency.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Premade pancakes - Dry Mix put in a ziplock
1-1/2 cups (7.5 oz) all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup (2.5 oz) whole wheat flour (or use more all-p flour), 4 tsp sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt
Bring in cooler - 4 Tb butter for melting, plus more for cooking, 2 cups buttermilk, 2 eggs.
Pick or bring 1 cup of favorite berries
If you have a bowl, mix everything together or you can use the ziplock. cook and eat w bacon/sausage, maple syrup etc.

We always bring a couple of ziplocks of this with us.

Reactions: Cendee and Kelly

Jeep4venturing

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Southeast missouri
Member #

Sounds like a killer summer to me.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I'm excited plus a little scared. I'm on disability, I have cancer, and live on a limited income.Everybody I tell seems to say go for it so I am going forward. Me and my jeep dog with start here shortly. Just working on a few issues.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I'm excited plus a little scared. I'm on disability, I have cancer, and live on a limited income.Everybody I tell seems to say go for it so I am going forward. Me and my jeep dog with start here shortly. Just working on a few issues.
"Excited plus a little scared" is a pretty good feeling, I think. One thing to consider: no matter how far out there you get, you probably won't be far from a friendly OB'er.

Reactions: Troublehardt

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

A can or two of Skyline chili, cooked with some hotdogs in the chili over a fire... Cook up some spaghetti, a little cheese... then make yourself some cheese coneys and a three way...

Reactions: Cendee and Kelly

Jeep4venturing

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Southeast missouri
Member #

"Excited plus a little scared" is a pretty good feeling, I think. One thing to consider: no matter how far out there you get, you probably won't be far from a friendly OB'er.
Since I have treatments monthly I probably will be straying in the area, there is a lot to see and do within a 100 miles of here. Nice to have positive people to message with here.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

For us, breakfast has turned into the meal we do. I always plan on a big dinner but we get in late and end up just cooking sausage on the grill haha. Aiming to change that by saving time on camp set up with our RTT and lighter gear.

Our go to breakfast is: pancake mix (add water kind) portioned out in mason jars for each day. Bacon and scrambled eggs. I'm going to try to make omelets the next time out, as a kid in scouts i was the go to omelet maker. Not sure why I stopped.

Lunch is usually picked up on the road. We like to hit whatever local brewery we can. If that isn't available then we do sandwiches. I'm picking up a rome bread toaster soon, going to try to make toasted sandwiches and grilled cheese.

Dinner: Going to try and purchase fresh meat along the way. One of the issues we had in the past was the zip lock not holding, letting water in. No more raw ground beef.... every time I have a cooler full of blood at the end of the trip.

I saw in this thread and on Instagram from off the leash adventures OB#1969 the use of vacuum sealed food. We really like that idea. I think we will pick up a vacuum sealer soon and try some things out before our big trip to MT. Thinking pulled pork, mac and cheese, and maybe some taco meat.

Reactions: Kelly

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

depends on the size of the group. if its big, well break out the plow disk and make burritos for everyone. If its small or just me then oatmeal and granola if i eat at all.
lunch is every man for themselves. dinner ill usually cook hamburgers, or if i caught a fish by then, well cook him up (should he be a proper size, the baby fish and big fish go back) I do carry vienna sausages and crackers for snacks.

although reading through this made me 1, very hungry and 2, gave me more ideas for my boring camp pantry

Reactions: Kelly and TerryD

Jeep4venturing

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Southeast missouri
Member #

While gathering supplies I have noticed that Save a lot stores and Wal-Mart market have a good selection of one serving canned goods. A lot of the cans have pop tops that don't require a can opener which is handy.

Sent from my VK815 using OB Talk mobile app

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Breakfast has been sausage or bacon and oatmeal, occasionally a banana or something like that with it. Lunch is sandwich and hot&spicy cheezits generally, then supper is whatever we decided on buying groceries. Last time it was steak fajita with Mexican style rice and Tecate with lime.

I'm always looking for new recipes though. Fresh off the grid blog is a good place to look. I've not tried anything from there yet, but I've been stashing ideas to attempt when the weather warms up a bit.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Breakfast: Breakfast skillet = eggs, diced bacon, sausage, ham, potato (tossed with a paprika and pepper,) onion, - maybe a touch of bell pepper. when it's almost done, shredded cheese, cover until cheese starts to melt. Coffee.
Unless I'm in a hurry to hit the road - then Cinnamon Roll & Coffee

Lunch - if it's hot, turkey sandwich & coffee. If it's really cold Tomato Soup & Grill Cheese & Coffee. if I'm on the highway. Burger & Coffee

Dinner - penne noodles + newmans own tomato basil + ground beef, onion, and garlic (both pre-cooked) Coffee

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Breakfast: oatmeal typically will do but occasionally eggs and sausages.
Lunch: easy peazy sandwiches
Dinner: this is not my favorite but it ranks up there in taste and ease. We have a folding steamer tray which will fit into the larger of the two nesting Ti pot. In it we'll steam those Costco mini dumplings with a load of vegetables. We each make our own dipping sauce, then gather around the steamer and eat right out of the pot. Super easy clean up, and it's a healthier meal in comparison.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

My wife loves to cook and plans our meals for all of our camping trips. One of the best breakfasts is biscuits and gravy, which she will make before we leave. In the morning we simply heat up the gravy, add biscuits and breakfast is served.

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Breakfast: Bacon egg and cheese wrap, peanut butter on crackers and coffee

Lunch: sandwich and chips and some apples for desert (yes, lunch desert is necessary)

Dinner: pork chops with rice and beans

Reactions: VDawg1115 and Kelly

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

When we're out for a quick over-nighter and don't want any fuss or muss, a super-easy option we occasionally go with are the Food Saver bags. We'll throw left overs or restaurant-bought meals into a Food Saver bag, seal them up, then when at camp, boil up a pot of water over the camp fire, throw them in to heat up, and enjoy. We let the hot water cool down a bit and do the dishes in it (if we didn't eat out of the bags). We can pretty much enjoy any favorite meal this way. So easy, and hassle-free clean up. And...depending on what we've stored in the bags (e.g., plain cooked pasta, white rice), we'll take the used bags home, clean and reuse them on another occasion, though I'm not sure if it's advisable.