Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Nope cheese whiz in a jar bro dunk them like a cookie in milk.
So this is WAY off topic, but if you ever get a chance to SCUBA dive around a reef (I did it in Cozumel), or any place where there's a high concentration of fish. Take some aerosol cheese down with you, swim into the middle of a school of fish, and run a bead across the front of your mask. Every event in your life, you will henceforth refer to as having happened either before or after that moment :-)

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I think this question is better suited for this part of the forum.. if not please move it!

But I'm wondering, what kind of food you haul into camp, or just when overlanding or going places?

I don't really carry much because in Europe we are always close by a shop really. But I'm just wondering what you all bring so we can all get some idea's off each other :)

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Generally speaking, sine I have a fridge, I bring a pound of ground beef, some sandwich prep items for lunches, lots of water and beer, and usually something from the frozen section at Costco that can be reheated on my Skottle, like carnitas and tortillas or the like...

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I've never carried a fridge. Never had much use for one. I start with most everything Pre-frozen in a cooler and eat what thaws out first. Works for me for about 4 days as a rule. Past that I have to find some ice.

I try to be low maintenance. Breakfast is cold cereal or oatmeal. Staying low maintenance is easy because I'm a terrible cook. Lol

Lunch is sandwiches. So sandwich meat bread and some veggies on it.

Dinner: garlic coil, Kubasa, potatoes, something like that. I also like frying up some hamburger and dumping in a jar of salsa... that's a bad cooks version of chilli. :-)

Snacks: fruit, nut mix, granola bars etc.

Last edited:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

For the most part with a fridge or good cooler, you can take just about anything. It's really up to you to decide what you want to deal with on the trail.

Personally, I try to avoid taking raw meat except for steak. There's usually not a lot of blood in the packaging (I'll stick it in a ziplock to be sure it doesn't leak) season it in the packaging and toss it on the Skottle and season the other side. Bacon leaves a lot of grease after cooking and there's not always a fire going to dump it in. Waiting for it to cool can take too long if you're wheels up early in the morning, and carrying the grease in the Trasharoo is a good invite for bears. I'll half cook the bacon at home and wrap it in foil. It cooks faster and the amount of grease left over is just enough to cook eggs for a breakfast burrito without a lot of the cleanup. Chicken releases a lot of water while in the bag, and is just messy. Occasionally I'll take hamburgers, and they are cooked the first night out. I preform the patties at home and wrap them in cling wrap, and they all go into a ziplock bag (sometimes 2 bags). One of my favorites are precooked, smoked pork chops. They really just need to be heated and don't have to worry about food borne illness as much.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I usually just do sausage dogs on the skottle. Doesn't take long.....skillet or grill works too. Sausages are already cooked and just need to be heated up.

Reactions: Luis Merlo