Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

I've put a lot of research into this and have found some fun stuff.
Meatloaf in a ramican then vacuum sealed for the trail. Another is spaghetti vacuum sealed. The vacuum sealed bags can be dropped into hot water to reheat. Don't even have dishes, just enjoy from the bag.
Sausage is a great protein, so is cooked chicken. Steak is best fresh off the BBQ. A really fun item is getting used to the Dutch oven. Braised salmon, baking, casseroles, I've even done Cornish game hens in one.

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Lots of good advice here. I love to cook while I'm camping (as I believe I've said a number of times here), and since I mostly only car camp these days, I don't have to limit myself too much. Freeze dried/backpacking food can be useful as backup or as a side dish, but I prefer to cook real food most of the time. With that in mind, prepping and planning is key. I always have sliced peppers and onions ready to go, as they go well with any protein. Tortillas are easy to pack and can be used at every meal. Yams are a great sub for potatoes, and they don't need refrigeration (though they are bulky) plus you can just toss them in the fire like potatoes. Alternatively, I usually have at least one pouch of instant taters, which are damn delicious and easy to pack/prepare. Lunch meat is very versatile, obviously. Eggs can be pre-scrambled in a water bottle, just like pancake batter. I like to bring a bagged salad and baby carrots, for a little greenery- salads are great as a break from all the protein and carbs, and the lettuce can be added to sandwiches, burgers, etc...

I'm also a big fan of planning ahead to use leftovers. For example, I'll marinate a tri-tip and freeze it ahead of time, and then grill it for dinner w/ chimmichurri. Any leftovers go into burritos the next day.

Finally, if you don't have a fridge (I don't....yet), dry ice is your friend. Just be very careful when packing, as it'll freeze your sh*t solid if you're not careful. Insulate and layer...

Reactions: Cendee

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I like to pre-cook some things (like pulled pork for instance). Then I portion off meals into Foodsaver vacuum bags and freeze them for future camping trips. I will also premake pasta sauce, freeze it in a container then transfer it to the Foodsaver vacuum bags as well. I've been sous vide'ing the vacuum bags in boiling water, which does two things. 1. It really retains the freshness and moisture of the meat or food, and 2. it really keeps cleanup to a minimum. We really like making pulled pork or shredded chicken taco's and use this method all the time.
If we are heading out for a short weekend trip, my Wife will usually precut meats and cheeses and veggies for sandwiches or simply to pick at alongside a nice glass of wine. Again, it cuts down on prep and cleanup time allowing more time for R&R. I do always insist one one night of hotdogs cooked over the fire, it's a camp tradition with us. For breakfast I like cooking the hash brown patties as they also make less of a mess. I premake my own dry pancake mix at home, and usually bring it along as well. Nothing beats pancakes covered in pulled pork, and smothered in maple syrup........great, now I'm hungry,

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

For a short trip. PB&J and breakfast stuff. More than 2 nights and I'll put some more effort into it.

jeffs blackjeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

vancouver, b.c., canada
First Name
jeff
Last Name
ross
Member #

I spend time at home making big batches of stuff and freezing them. Helps the cooler stay cold longer and all i have to do is fire rice or pasta or make tacos and burritos.
Peanut curry, carne adovada, chipotle chicken, barbacoa beef, italian meatballs. Then of course taters eggs and bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
i'm camping with you next time...sounds great!!!

Jeep4venturing

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Southeast missouri
Member #

I like the replys here, glad my stuff was combined in a more developed string. I am defently listening to what I have found and testing it on my test camping trip starting Friday. Looks like the weather has broke and it is time. After this test run I am heading out for an extended trip thru the summer so I will basically be living out of my jeep,

Sent from my VK815 using OB Talk mobile app