Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
What is your all-time favorite meals for the trail? (The goal here is to help with meal ideas!)

List 3 catagories; Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

Breakfast: Breakfast burrito with egg, cheese, bacon and/or sausage, bonus for green chilis!

Lunch: I prefer a simple lunch to keep down-time to a minimum, so a turkey sammich and chips is fine for me.

Dinner: We don't do it often, but I love a big ol' steak with some grilled brussel sprouts (or asparagus) and a tasty beverage.
This, for breakfast or lunch. i would change up dinner. Something more traditional for camp food offerings. I would leave the steak home as well as veggies like above. When home...great.

Steak would have to be sliced/diced into some kind of entree. A can of mixed veggies on the side, .......okay as a side dish. If the cook was good...i might be receptive to fresh. Add seasoning, salt/pepper/ real butter, and toasted buttered bread and now it starts to get interesting. Doing a veggie stir-fry minus the canned veggies, but add some noodles with these ingredients and dinner is good, with minimal clean-up.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I'm a solo camper so I get by with oatmeal, Mountain Home freeze dried. I go by Mt. Home on occasion and pick up dented cans and specials, real cheap that way. COFFEE and brew pot are essential. Makes it easy, all I need to do is boil water.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Ever since we put a fridge in the rig a couple months ago, we can safely bring raw chicken along. Dry fried chicken wings (or legs) has become one of my favorite go-to camp meals, and the prep/cooking is super simple.

I typically season with Tajin which gives the dish a great sweet and tangy balance, you could change up the spice on step 8 to experiment with other flavors.

Equipment:
  • frying pan (I use either a 10" or 12" depending on how much i'm cooking)
  • tongs

Ingredients:
  • cooking oil
  • chicken (wings or drums, really any parts will do, these i find the easiest to cook and eat at camp)
  • tajin
  • sugar
  • salt & pepper

Prep if wings: separate wingettes and drumettes, discard wing tips. sometimes i'll do this prep before heading out on the trip.

Cooking:
  1. In medium heat frying pan, pour in a tablespoon or two of cooking oil. cooking spray probably works just fine as well
  2. toss in chicken and continually and casually move/flip pieces to evenly cook and prevent them from sticking. You don't want the pan completely filled edge to edge with chicken, give yourself some room to work with.
  3. after a couples minutes of cooking, add salt and pepper, keep moving those chicken pieces around
  4. Continue to keep the chicken moving and watch the heat. adjust the temp as needed. You don't want pieces to start burning and sticking. You're looking for a nice even golden browning, not char.
  5. for wings: cook for ~10 minutes. for legs: cook for ~30 minutes. keep moving and turning them the whole time until they are sufficiently cooked. If you are a paranoid type, use a meat thermometer and look for internal temp of 165
  6. Turn off heat, keep the chicken in the pan.
  7. Sprinkle a table spoon or two or three onto the chicken. Make sure each piece has a decent dusting (really depends on how much chicken you've cooked)
  8. Sprinkle a similar amount of Tajin on the chicken (use your own taste/discretion)
  9. Use your tongs or pan flipping skillz to really give the chicken a good mix now. The sugar will begin to caramelize and give your chicken a really tasty coating.
  10. Continue mixing/tossing for about a minute until the chicken looks nice and evenly coated.
  11. Enjoy.

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Hard to go wrong with Mountain House Chili Mac but with the added treat of crushed Doritos or Chili Cheese Fritos....try adding just a bit extra water and add chips at the end....serve with beverage of choice!! [emoji106][emoji2][emoji106]
Okay I'm gonna try this out.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

When Costco briefly sold Mountain House last year, I took out a 2nd mortgage on the house ;-). So my camping meals are pretty much set for the next 25 years. However, if you want to talk about snacks, I've got something to contribute.

The following need no refrigeration:

Beef Jerky
Peanut Butter
Power Bars (Performance - old school)
Dried Fruit
Trail Mix
Bacon Cheez Whiz
Triscuts
Fritos (also works as fire starter :-)
What are some of your favorite ones? I have only cooked the breakfast burrito one and it was just ok. Any tricks to taste better?

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

A couple of ideas.
For breakfast Eggs and corned beef hash.
For lunch. Pita pockets, stuffed with whatever.
For dinner. Zatararain's Jambalaya with andouille sausage, add uncooked shrimp and / or chicken if you wish. Kielbasa cooked in butter with onions, peppers, and potatoes.

Reactions: Cendee

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

It's always just me and the pup on our excursions so we like to keep it simple and quick
Breakfast: Eggs. There's no wrong way to cook an egg. Fried, scrambled, boiled, poached, omelette. With bacon, fried spam, picante sauce, green chili, roasted red peppers, breakfast burrito. I like eggs in any form.
Lunch: Usually something out of a can. Dinty Moore beef stew, chili, chicken noodle soup, beanie weinees, etc. Sometimes a chili dog or packaged trail meals from Mountain House
Dinner: Tito's handmade vodka over ice. Certified gluten free

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
My usual breakfast is instant oatmeal cup or some grapefruit. Lunch is whatever works. Trail mix to Slim Jims and Fritos to a sandwich.

Dinner can be a steak , grilled sausages on my Adventure Skottle , homemade spaghetti sauce with precooked pasta . Cooking Coq au Vin , Beouf Bourgignon and Chili in the pressure cooker is an easy one pot meal . Some dehydrated backpacking meals for bad weather days are a lifesaver. It is easy to boil water in the Jetboil , in the truck if necessary, and eat a Mountain House meal.

If I am cooking for a group ,I like my Spicy Sausage Skillet . This is a combination of hot Italian sausage, zucchini, onion, mushrooms, canned diced tomatoes , red wine and pasta. Very filling and delicious.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Chicken fajitas are pretty easy camp food, unless it needs stored for a couple days, then go with freeze-dried.
Ding, ding, ding.....stuff that works in a wrap. Right at the top of my preference meals.
Sausage, red and yellow peppers, sweet onion, shredded meat, etc, easy clean up, minimal utensils....are .used.